Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering column play
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
obx71super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Steering column play Reply with quote

I have a 73 bus I’m trying to finish up. There’s play in the steering column (front to back) as you’re sitting in the drivers seat. What parts could cause this/do I need to change? Thanks everyone!
cellobus1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column play Reply with quote

I had this problem for years, as I think you're describing it. Seemed to drive ok anyway, just I knew it wasn't right. There's a spring (113 415 587A) under the steering wheel that is either missing or broken. I had the steering wheel off to replace the ignition switch last year and found I had no spring. It's still back-ordered at Busdepot, I found one at a local shop. Slightly bigger than a valve spring and slightly thinner wire. Also the basket that holds the spring is notoriously mortal. I have a '76, the fiche led me to believe that your year would be the same.

Andy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column play Reply with quote

i believe anything made before 03/74 will have a spring/collet in the column ... that can wear / break

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

it's probably that

the bad news is that... the part may no longer be available

the good news is that a much better part (than what it came with) is available to replace it Smile

you can get it here
https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22969616-211-585a.html
or
http://litesteer.com/products/early-bay-top-column-bearing-assembly/
or
https://www.customandcommercial.com/vw-baywindow/b...h74_28202/
or
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/us/211415585a-steering-column-top-bearing-and-retainer.html

and you can see by the looks of it... it's a needle bearing... much nicer than the unsupported horseshit that was there before Wink
should do wonders Smile fitting it, alone, should make your Bus feel like it just went up $10K in value..... Smile
obx71super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column play Reply with quote

Thanks!! Is the installation simple? Can I do it with the column still in the bus? Just remove the steering wheel and tap the bearing and retainer down on top of the existing bearing in a column? Thanks again!
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column play Reply with quote

Yes, precisely

Remove the steering wheel..... then remove the old spring/metal collar holding it (you won't need either)...

Clean everything well, I assume applying some high quality grease would be a good idea, since I don't see an inner race (e.g. bearing isn't already sealed)....

carefully tap the new guy home... reinstall wheel
obx71super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column play Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks for the advise, will it be obvious where the bearing wants to be on the shaft?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Steering column play Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
.... then remove the old spring/metal collar holding it (you won't need either)...

I believe the spring should be left in place, if possible, as it's part of the horn circuit, it conducts current from the column tube
to the steering wheel hub. It's made of "bronze" instead of steel so that it can maintain a low resistance, and possibly to prevent
damage to the bearing from having the fairly high horn current running thru it. The spring might have
to be shortened a little, as it looks like the aftermarket bearing is a lot thicker than the original.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
obx71super
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column play Reply with quote

Mine is already missing the spring unfortunately. Think the horn will still work without it?
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column play Reply with quote

obx71super wrote:
Mine is already missing the spring unfortunately. Think the horn will still work without it?

I'd wager it would. There's lots of posts here about unwanted horn sounding due to inadvertant grounding of various parts of
the horn circuit, so it doesn't seem to take much conductivity to get some horn action, for instance with some improperly made rubber steering
couplers. Might also depend on the kind of grease used.

Bugcity.com claims they have a used original German spring (VW #113-415-587A), which appears to be the original bronze.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Aduvall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering column play Reply with quote

Did you install the needle bearing? Did it make a difference? I’ve replaced just about everything and still have too much steering place. It’s my last hope.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: