Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which battery for a bus?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thepreacher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:37 pm    Post subject: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

Anybody know which battery size is correct for a 78 type 2? Mine did not have one when I got it, so I need one and my battery supply book does not go back that far.

Thanks!
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Which battery for a bus? Reply with quote

thepreacher wrote:
Anybody know which battery size is correct for a 78 type 2? Mine did not have one when I got it, so I need one and my battery supply book does not go back that far.

I believe the OEM battery was the little Group 42 item made for a Bug, to make stocking easier for the dealers.

However, a Group 24 battery fits very well and will have a longer life. Don't get a Group 24F, the terminals are on the wrong ends.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please read

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=211275&highlight=battery+group
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
please read

Y'know, that thread isn't exactly definitive. The Group 42 is a bug battery and there is mention of the Group 41 which is about an inch and a half longer but no taller than the bug battery. The Group 24 battery has the same footprint and fits the same hold-down as the Group 42 but is two inches taller. This isn't a problem in a bus.

The group 24 is used in lots of Chevys, etc. so there is no problem finding a fresh one at any battery dealer.

They'll all work fine. The only thing to watch is the placement of the terminals. You want the the positive terminal on the left as you view the battery with the terminals toward you.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAPA and O'Reilly's both show group 42
EZ Gruv
King of Plaid

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been able to find a group 42 in stock at Autozone.
My Photography Page.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a group 48 battery is the one we use, it fits perfectly and it has lots more capacity than the original group 42, and a bit more than a 24 or 41. the flooded group 48 has something like 72Ah, the AGM group 48 has almost 80Ah. the 42 is about 60Ah. i think the 48 will only work from '75 on, the battery tray in '74 and earlier has a smaller landing area for the battery. in buses that have the slightly larger landing spot the 48 is a great battery to use, it just fits in the spot, the hold-down works properly, and the capacity is very good.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is....

the biggest one that will fit the hole.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
The answer is....

for sure, what i was getting at in my post that if you want the battery to land on the depression on the battery tray, and use the original hold-down, the choices are limited and for a late bus a group 48 is the largest, highest capacity battery that will fit those criteria.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
aeromech wrote:
The answer is....

for sure, what i was getting at in my post that if you want the battery to land on the depression on the battery tray, and use the original hold-down, the choices are limited and for a late bus a group 48 is the largest, highest capacity battery that will fit those criteria.

That's a very good point. There's a bunch-o-buses running around without the batteries secured and someday the unfortunate owners might find some arcing and sparking going on back there.
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go. The tie-down is designed for a group 42 battery, so you just have to pick one where the length and width are within 1/8 inch or so of that size. The height can be taller in a bus.

http://www.rtpnet.org/teaa/bcigroup.html

Oh, and be sure to check the date code on the battery to make sure that it hasn't been sitting in the store for a year or two. That's one reason I favor the commonly-used Group 24.

Happy hunting!
heiko910
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
SGKent wrote:
please read

Y'know, that thread isn't exactly definitive. The Group 42 is a bug battery and there is mention of the Group 41 which is about an inch and a half longer but no taller than the bug battery. The Group 24 battery has the same footprint and fits the same hold-down as the Group 42 but is two inches taller. This isn't a problem in a bus.

The group 24 is used in lots of Chevys, etc. so there is no problem finding a fresh one at any battery dealer.

They'll all work fine. The only thing to watch is the placement of the terminals. You want the the positive terminal on the left as you view the battery with the terminals toward you.

I know this is a very old post but I have to correct it for future readers. In a late bay window the stock battery is a group 42 and on those the positive terminal is on the right (terminals facing you). So if you buy any other group battery that might fit the tray you have to get one that has the positive terminal also on the right (terminals facing you). So, what I am saying is that you want the positive terminal on the right (terminals facing you) and not the left.
I hope this will help
https://www.batteryweb.com/bci.cfm

edit in blue
Tcash
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, interesting. So, on the late models is the positive cable longer to reach the far terminal or do they turn the battery around so the positive terminal is forward?
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

germansupplyscott wrote:
aeromech wrote:
The answer is....

Aeromech's answer is my philosophy. I also bought the longest battery cables I could find to make installation easier. Buying the battery, removing the hot air hose and the AFM, and squeezing the battery in around the oil fill, shroud etc. and then finding that your little positive cable won't quite reach the positive post is very frustrating.

That's why I have plans to cut a hole in the side and make my own custom fiberglass battery door!!

thoughts?

Twisted Evil LOL
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaha, you're fucking with us, right?
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW Jetta
VW Passat
secretsubmariner
Champagne Wrangler

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely, dude. Wink
1970 Auto Fastback FI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery hatch idea has gotten some serious milage Wink Laughing
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
Hmmm, interesting. So, on the late models is the positive cable longer to reach the far terminal or do they turn the battery around so the positive terminal is forward?

Ya don't want the positive terminal forward. 2 reasons: 1) The negative ground strap goes to the bolt on the body, just forward of the battery. 2) In case of a crash to the front of the vehicle, if the battery is not sufficiently secured, then the negative post will hit the metal of the body, which is OK.

Of course, if hit from the rear, then the positive of the unsecured battery crashes into the rear of the bus, so maybe this is a moot point.

The positive cable should be long enough to reach the positive battery post, which is to the rear, yes.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

72. Original ground bolted near the rear of the bus near the tail lights.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
GeorgeL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solution is to secure the battery properly and, if you are really paranoid, put an insulating cover on the positive terminal.

Frankly, if someone hits the rear of my bus hard enough to short the battery I'll have a lot more issues than a few sparks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: