Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

Yea...me and a T4...who knew...

So the deal is I have been asked to install a engine that should be FI, but the replacement is a carb'd case

this is what I have:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

of course...it's assembled and I'm shop #3 to deal with this.

That said, I swear I saw some static on T4's needing the rod in there otherwise there are oil pressure issues

The builder said use a block off and have a nice day. I just want confirmation that this is indeed true.

please and thank-you Very Happy

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

I wonder why they put a plug in the drain hole?

If the bushing is drilled you have to put a dummy shortened rod in there to block the oil passage, can you see any little holes in the side of the bushing?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

As you know the push rod gets left over oil from front cam bearing, I would imagine there is "some" pressure there to push oil up rod and bushing, but with a return drain at the same point, (journal) can't be much. I see the return is plugged now, I would make a headed plug that fits bore and not fall to cam, and that would back up against block off plate, (lathe work) keeping oil in the bushing/cam journal. I would normally plug it at the cam galley to keep oil from filling the pump pocket, but that's not an option now. Alternately you could tap the bushing and put in a 1/4-28 screw of some sort, start engine with cover off to get rid of chips, then green lock tite the screw in. I wouldn't want the stock rod in there bouncing around.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

No oil holes in the bushing from the main galley on the case (CB) I have. I would have thought that also, would make sense, apparently enough oil gets wicked up the rod from journal.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
I wonder why they put a plug in the drain hole?

no clue...

busdaddy wrote:

If the bushing is drilled you have to put a dummy shortened rod in there to block the oil passage, can you see any little holes in the side of the bushing?

RWK wrote:
No oil holes in the bushing from the main galley on the case (CB) I have. I would have thought that also, would make sense, apparently enough oil gets wicked up the rod from journal.

so I can't see any hole in the bushing. to the best of my ability I took a wire with a short hook on the end trying to "feel" one and no hole..

If my memory is correct, it is if that bushing is removed you're screwed, right?

What RWK is saying is there is no hole for the pushrod, but if that bushing were removed, this would be basically like an internal bleed, correct?

in other words (like the builder said) cap it and move on, no pushrod needed?

sorry, usually when I'd dealing with a T4 they are getting removed Very Happy Last one I was inside of has to be 25+ years ago at this point...

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

A stupid question:

With the drain plugged, the orifice is dead-ended, so once it fills with oil there should be no pressure drop.

True or false?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

False, it'll still be draining back into the case via the inner end of the bushing. And relying on a pump block off to hold back oil pressure is asking for a leak.

Some bushings are drilled, others not, if it's drilled then the end of the lifter feed gallery is open to the case and pressure escapes. If the bushing isn't drilled on the lifter side then the gallery is closed and there's nothing to worry about.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

Found this description on the attached parts website:

You will need to shorten your fuel pump push rod by approximately 20mm and keep it under the block off plate. It is important to check for clearance once you have shortened the rod. This is to prevent a drop in Oil Pressure created by removing the rod completely.

https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/us/ac127400-fu...f0QAvD_BwE

There is no additional information on the CSP website for this plate. Hmmm.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2246775
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Some bushings are drilled, others not, if it's drilled then the end of the lifter feed gallery is open to the case and pressure escapes. If the bushing isn't drilled on the lifter side then the gallery is closed and there's nothing to worry about.

I for sure will double/triple check that there is no drilling in the bushing.

so if there is no hole drilled it would be safe to say I can just install the block off and go then, correct?

The builder said do just that, but I thought there was (potentially) more to it than that.

worse case I suppose would be machine something with a "head" (think carriage bolt) and drop it in the bushing, but I don't think I will have to (unless of course I find a hole in it)

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

Yes and yes, and I was going to suggest a giant solid rivet or something like that to occupy the hole if there is a drilling in the side.

Слава Україні!
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

I think you will want a rod in the hole Razz if it has an orifice into the bushing bore.
otherwise oil will not be restricted by a rod and bleed out cam journal drain under pressure, same is true if bush is out but worse like mentioned earlier.
Start it up with cover off you will know real quick.
PM me, I might have a headed block off rod.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

Don,
Been there…. Done that.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
JasianBusBoi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

Hello all-

I have a Type 4 engine that is missing the fuel pump, so I am going to go with an electric fuel pump. I was trying to follow this thread to determine what to do. From what I read, I would just need to buy a rod then shorten it before putting in a block plate. What I didn't understand was the discussion regarding holes/drilling in the bushing. Is there a way I can determine this?

Thanks in advance
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

JasianBusBoi wrote:
....... Is there a way I can determine this?......

Not without a high end inspection camera, yu might be able to feel for holes in the side of the bushing with an angled pick, but you still don't know for sure just where they go.
The safe answer is install the rod, it may not be required, but you don't know for sure.

Put the rod in the hole and push on it while a helper turns the engine, feel for when it reaches it's highest point, mark it there and cut it off so it almost touches the inside of the blankng plate at the top of it's travel.

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

I got with RKW who machined up a dummy push rod and then you can just cap the whole deal off

He was a pleasure to work with and very responsive

That said, I still haven't gotten this godforsaken job out of my life yet but I'm getting close...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
JasianBusBoi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

Is plugging the drain hole unnecessary?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: T4 Mechanical fuel pump delete Reply with quote

Plugging the drain hole would be a mistake, if the bushing was drilled, and the rod allowed a little oil to leak past it could build up under the cover, the drain hole solves that issue.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: