Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

Full complete, successful Dual Carb set up was done in May.

Nice day to drive yesterday. Needed gas, so I filled up. Did some more driving, then parked for the night.

Garage was strong with gas smell this morning. A small pool under one side, so I pulled the air filter and see a frequent drip into one barrel. The other is damp, so it is probably dripping too.... same as the other side. Butterflies are damp after 12 hours of being parked.

All the visible edges of the gaskets are wet too.

You think it is a stuck float problem?

Electric pump... about 2 psi, when running. Even with a stuck float, there would have to be residual pressure, right? Might have stopped during the day sometime, I guess.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

The floats have to be leaking so should be addressed. As an additional precaution you could add a marine anti siphon valve to the supply line or an electric fuel cutoff.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

Definitely need to check the float height. You should also look into some Phenolic spacers if you do not already have a set.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Definitely need to check the float height. You should also look into some Phenolic spacers if you do not already have a set.

between the heads and the carb manifolds? It is my understanding that those are used with FI.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
richparker wrote:

between the heads and the carb manifolds? It is my understanding that those are used with FI.

You can use various thickness spacer as a tuning device for climate. Where it's very hot a thick gaskets may be warranted, whereas in a cool location a very thin ones are warranted. With the lower boiling point of ethanol lace fuel this can be very important. Note that there are two places where gaskets are used, 1: between the intake manifolds and the heads, and 2: between the carbs and the intake manifolds.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

I was talking about using them between the carb and manifold. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter in my geographic location. I run them all year long on both of my ACVWs, no issues.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

Is this normal....

As I said, full tank of gas.

I removed the top of the carb. I put the hose from the top plate into a bucket. I have a constant drip. 1 per second. I can move that hose around up and down in the bucket and the drip keeps coming.

So the siphon rule would say, when the exit of that hose is below the top of the fuel in the tank, I would get flow... or in this case a drip? And proper float needle setting is gonna stop that?

I have a hose from the electric FP up to a FP regulator that splits to the carbs.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

It’s not normal. I’ve had nothing but good success with IDF carburetors, both Webers and Chinese knock offs. Did you go through the carbs, clean and set them up properly before you installed them?

Here’s a video on setting up a pair of Empi carbs. I know they are not Webers, but they are a copy of Webers. There’s another video showing how to set the floats. Maybe I’ll find it, or you can find it I bet.

Link

Here ya go

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

RIP AC.net.

Paid extra for their service of cleaning and set-up for my application. Then I went thru the BEST LEAN IDLE.... many times, and used a snail to sync them up. So running wise, I think all is well. Not running, the gas keeps flowing or dripping at least. I suppose it is partially from a FULL tank.

Float did not leak as I held it under water for a time. The settings are not per the weber manual.... 10mm and 32mm. Going to re-install and see what happens.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

I had this issue. Worse in hot weather. There were a couple things...
Got some float needles with the rubber tips. My metal needles leaked. They wouldn't hold a pound of pressure.
Check your fuel pressure, if you haven't. I found that something happened to my cheap, low psi electric pump, and it maxed out my gauge when I checked.
The phenolic spacers between the carbs and mani will come in handy when it's hot in the summer. They seem to be a good idea.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/364020184156

I see a few rebuild kits with the rubber tips.... VITON

AMAZON TOO.

https://www.amazon.com/HENKYO-Weber-Rebuild-Repair...mp;sr=1-13

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

Leaking needle valves. Replace them and be happy
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

Perfect time to put in a nice brass stopcock fuel shut off . With oetinger clamps, chafe and strain relief, allowing fuel shut off

If you hide it a bit, it doubles as theft prevention from driveoffs
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

It is hard to believe that both would be failing at the same time, but I suppose anything is possible.

What is the result of a larger setting? Like if I go to 13 or 15? wouldn't that (theoretically) shut off the the flow earlier, making the float bowl a few millimeters less full?

what are your thoughts on the ones with VITON tips?

Thanks so far.
Willin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

Rubber = Viton
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

Viton=best quality
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

seems that there are tons of folks selling stuff that fits Weber.....

May or may not be Weber, right? Any vendor that any of you recommend?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:
aeromech wrote:

It is hard to believe that both would be failing at the same time, but I suppose anything is possible.

What is the result of a larger setting? Like if I go to 13 or 15? wouldn't that (theoretically) shut off the the flow earlier, making the float bowl a few millimeters less full?

what are your thoughts on the ones with VITON tips?

Thanks so far.

Changing the float level from spec may well cause the carburetor not to come off idle all that well. Go with a Viton tipped needle valve and don't look back.

Last edited by Wildthings on Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

I had a similar issue with my IDFs. They were purchased about 6 years ago.

The Left side carb would get moist while it was parked.

Replaced the float and needle valve assemblies on both carbs with parts from Pierce Manifolds. Genuine Weber. I would not trust unbranded bargain parts.

https://www.piercemanifolds.com/
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Weber 40 IDFs are dripping when parked Reply with quote

Willin wrote:
Rubber = Viton

No
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: