Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alaska-Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My personal definition of stealth camping is anywhere that road noise and generator whine can not be heard.

Nothing irritates me more than hearing some one running a generator in a campground. Anything louder than the hiss of a two burner Coleman has me reaching for the side cutting pliers. LOL

But I'd rather have a split bus. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
desertrefugee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaska-Mike wrote:

Nothing irritates me more than hearing some one running a generator in a campground. Anything louder than the hiss of a two burner Coleman has me reaching for the side cutting pliers. LOL

Oh man, I heard that. One of my back country buddies occasionally brings a little Honda for a couple of unnecessary BS things. I have almost broken him of the habit. Heck, it's not just the noise, but the smell!

Certainly, there's nothing stealthy about a generator.

"For I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night." - Sarah Williams
Alex Proulx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camping for us is a familly vacation thing, wifey and a couple of kids. So stealth is out of the question. Got to have facilities, lots of room to play, fire place for smors, etc. The "stay" is half the fun, on road trips we try not to drive more than 2-3h per day.
We like to social aspect of it and the obvious change from "normal" life. We usually look for campgrounds with a nice view, waterfront is always nice.
Parking lots or dark corners would NOT do it.
If I was living in the van by myself on a tight budget things would be different but until THEN Wink it will be campgrounds.
Alex
liwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: camp Reply with quote

I"ve tried to suggest the stealth camping, traveling vacation thing to my wife.
its a no go. I guess I am lucky I have a wife that enjoys a vacation sleeping in the back of a truck!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alaska-Mike wrote:
Nothing irritates me more than hearing some one running a generator in a campground...

How else you gonna make your toast...??? Laughing Laughing Laughing

This has only happened to us once - turned out to be a guy I knew from our
maintenance dept. Luckily it was his first morning and our last... Rolling Eyes

Close to home: quiet, secluded USFS sites are as close as we get to stealth.
Not a lot of logging roads not already developed with campgrounds... (Superior NF)

We don't have a lot of practice with dispersed camping, but we'll try it when
on the road & farther west. On family road trips we've used a lot of USFS &
cheap city parks. Most of the time we reserve ahead of time; prefer the
USFS for that. As we work towards 2 adults with no kids, we'll try more &
more dispersed/stealth camping. With two kids along, it's been a matter of
planning/convenience/safety for us.

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
18Vanagonfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind camping at a camp grounds as long as its not a pavement lot. Alaska has great state camp grounds that truly made you feel like you were in the middle of no where with no one else there. I'm currently set up in the westy in an Army camp ground. All the fifth wheels an rvs are in one area paying $20 a night . I'm in the dry camping area by myself paying $6 a night. Lol. However, I do have to leave the camp sight every few weeks (per regs) and I find I can't find a whole lot of places to vanish to here in savannah or Charleston. Both are heavily populated along the coast and have "no parking" or "no camping" signs everywhere. So most nights ill just stay at Wally World. It's free and I got all the things I need right there.
Gray water tank - complete
Aux - 50%
Propane fix - Complete enjoying hot chow
oldhuldy67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey..where is that Army campground? I go to SC every summer in July for 2 weeks with extended family..we go to Litchfield, rent some houses..lots of folks. Pass through Charleston on the way...did you get your Bentley and crossover tube?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
of stealth camping is anywhere that generator whine can not be heard.. LOL

This is Glamping, not camping. Those people need their own planet.
Wait. Did I say that?
18Vanagonfan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldhuldy67 wrote:
Hey..where is that Army campground? I go to SC every summer in July for 2 weeks with extended family..we go to Litchfield, rent some houses..lots of folks. Pass through Charleston on the way...did you get your Bentley and crossover tube?

Not yet, but I haven't been on post today or yesterday. The fort stewart camp ground is just outside the ft Stewart base, north of hinesville . It's $6 a night to dry camp. Two weeks max but camp ground host will work with you. Beautiful camp. Next to big lake and great showers and wifi. Makes it great for two weeks at a time. I don't know for sure but someone told me you didn't need to be military to stay there. Also great one at hunter army airfield in down town savannah but no showers.
Gray water tank - complete
Aux - 50%
Propane fix - Complete enjoying hot chow
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had it with camping near other people.Last weekend, my wife and kids stayed at Amicalola Falls State park here near Atlanta. Other campers were up all night slamming car doors, chopping wood, yelling, etc...no sleep for dad. It baffles me why these huge state parks put 30 campsites on top of each other. [/quote]
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Stealth includes Boon docking, that's my vote! Most camp grounds are just too noisy. I do find the WA parks better, then the Provincial Parks, but most of the private places have been way more expensive and crammed in like sardines!

Sadly I have no idea where either place is, but know they're in BC somewhere. One was on a lake, off some logging roads down a steep hill (Syncro needed) w/ almost no one around. Totally Free. Outhouses there.

Next, was on a river. Again Outhouses. I never remember anyone being around. Just again, what I think was logging road (not paved).

Both had swimming, quiet and so much fun! I went w/ my parents, but they're both gone and I wasn't into camping until I had my own kids. So sad...

People are just too rude and noisy and inconsiderate! I am totally anti electronics for camping, but there is a time and place. If my kids wake up at 6:30am they're getting a tablet thrown at them before being told to ZIP it. YET, countless times this summer, the jerks that kept us up at 11pm w/ their screaming and noise, are the same ones to then wake my kids up at 7am. Then, *I* have to deal w/ my cranky 4yo all day and they probably complain about the fact that he cries too much!

I *love* the social aspect, but need a little extra space around us for the quiet!

tam

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely stay in campgrounds, and I rarely stealth camp, but I do a LOT of dispersed camping in national forest land and BLM land, there is so much open space out west that its pretty easy to travel without having to pay for camping or sleeping in my van where it is illegal to do so, ie "stealth camping". Sure, I'll occasionally get a night of stealth sleep where I'm not supposed to be parked/camping, but thankfully that is pretty rare for me...

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: for me... Reply with quote

I started using the term stealth camping when hiking the Appalachian Trial in 2000 and I avoided the shelter/hut areas like the plague... stealth camping was anywhere except those spots. Who cares on terminology, I call stealth camping anywhere that is not an official campground or a parking lot.

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are dispersed camping in a van on national forest land and it is legal, I don't see how the term "stealth" applies as there is no reason to hide your presence.

Quote:
Stealth: The act of moving, proceeding, or acting in a covert way.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought of stealth camping basically where it is forbidden, or at least not clearly allowable ..kind of the same as the way Wiki defines it.

stealth camping (uncountable)
(US) Camping out of sight on land not designated as a campsite, especially on land not used for habitation, agriculture etc.

(No I did not write the defintion Very Happy )
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We define stealth camping as 'in late/out early' and keep a low profile. Occasionally we'll stealth camp in a hotel parking lot on the way home from a week of dispersed camping on FS/BLM land. Dispersed camping gets our vote over campgrounds.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no stealth camping for us anyways. as I travel with a family and at times multiple VW campers.. we tend to pay for our stays..

but if I were to try to travel on the cheap.
I'd drive/travel at night and stop at state/federal parks in the day on a day use access pass.
they don't care if you sleep in your van during the day for the $7/day use.
aswah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, I really am happy people prefer campgrounds because it keeps where I go less traveled. FOR ME: it's not about travelling on the cheap it is about not wanting to be in a campground which generally suck (too much noise, drunk rowdy people, lack of privacy), very few exceptions. STEALTH IS ABOUT No neighbors, better views, remote spots... Campgrounds tend to be too closely packed (if you can see your neighbor than it is too close to me)... I like to go somewhere where I can let my dog run free and my three year old and not worry about whether they are going to get run over. Campgrounds are generally dirtier and more abused than stealth spots, Stealth campers tend to be a bit more conscious about pack it in/pack it out than the bulk of campground campers. Obviously not all but most. For me, camping is about solitude, star gazing, photography, reading, playing with my family, drinking wine with me wife, getting caught in snowstorms and wondering when I should pack up and head down the mountain. I get all the noise and commotion I need in my lifetime being a Chef. I prefer crapping in the woods than vault/pit toilets... I lived in Mendocino for a while in a primitive cabin in the woods with a pit toilet... no problem there just prefer a clear view of the world and the fresh scent of pine. Call what I do stealth lite or solitude camping, labels are way over rated. The best campgrounds I have been in have been near abandoned ones in Oregon and Alaska. Peace and Love to all. Some of my favorite secluded spots include:

out in Glen Canyon: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswah/5500841961/in/set-72157626079744869

Valley of the Gods: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswah/5532465144/in/set-72157626056103485

Mohave National Preserve: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswah/5517948108/in/set-72157626244497244

somewhere in the Sierras: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswah/4957882733/in/set-72157624755182493

off highway one right before it heads into the mountains north of Mendo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswah/5416340476/in/set-72157625850225479

near Stratton Mountain in Vermont: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswah/5415708241/in/set-72157625850225479

Mendocino National Forest: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswah/5415682389/in/set-72157625850225479

another Highway ONe hotspot north of Mendo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswah/5416291532/in/set-72157625850225479

Mule Team Road, Cali: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswah/5415648437/in/set-72157625850225479

eating off Highway One south of Mendo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswah/5416289026/in/set-72157625850225479

Champagne and just caught Alaskan King Salmon somewhere in the Bush: http://www.flickr.com/photos/aswah/5416290010/in/set-72157625850225479

Aswah, Lisa, Beaumont and Loose Lucy Too!

1989 Westy
2013 Jetta Sportswagon TDI
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Game over - Aswah wins.

Wink

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
TequilaSunSet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW Aswah

My pics of meals would be of MRE variety... instant oatmeal... water Very Happy
1967 Bug- Gone
1964 Euro Sunroof Bug- Gone
1969/72/63 Sunroof Bug- Gone
1975 Brazilian Bug in the Philippines 🇵🇭- New to me
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: