Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

I was recently at Key West, and went to the campground 20 miles N-- as we were heading forther north in the morning. AThere was no one at the office, so we just found a spot big enough to pull into. When we went in to check out in the morning, we found we had intruded on a $65 plot, although only 15 x 20. Nearly died, and swore to do as I've always done in the past: stealth camp. Let's use with this thread's original wording, 'stealth' rather than 'boondocking'. It might mean being invisible in the city or the boonies.

In the city, I've found I can be invisible in any well-filled stree; just be another parked vehicle among many. Don't pop the top, DON'T put a light on; Get in when no one is walking by, shut all the rear curtains, leave the driver's area highly visible. This means set up or hang a partial curtain behind the front seats, or even just in front of the bed. Use a few hi-tech magnets to make sure the curtains don't allow for an officer's inspection with a good flashlight. Maybe leave the windows open just a crack or/and the roof vent up just a very little. If some coupled hanky-panky is involved, keep it very slow moving- no of the "if this van's rockin" stuff. Ambient streetlights will make it easy to see your pee-bottle;you don't want to be opening the door etc. And be discreet when you dump the pee-bottle contents in the morning, so neighbors don't scout you out the following night.

In the outback: depending on how invisible you want to be, short of the camouflage job in pics farther up in this thread, keep a large plastic tarp, olive green or similar, to pinch between the top of the rear hatch and its frame, hanging down far enough to cover the reflectors in the light assemblies- or better, even to below thee bumper. Or if the front might reflect light toward any likely passer-by, hang it off the roof luggage rack at least down past the headlights, or better, the bumper. Then: turn on any very dim light you might use in the night and walk a wide circle around the van to see if it can be seen. if it can, go dimmer or don't light anything. In a pinch, as to look for a position to fill the pee-bottle, put a flashlight under the covers to (briefly) get just enough of a glow to find things.

And do look at the above posts for the several sites that list free and cheap sites. You can find them yourself, but the hassle and the possibility of having a land-owner thing to roust you in the night make it worth using the lists if possible. --And yes, I'm an easterner, so have to look carefully for a spot. (On the other hand, some years ago, I took a tintop from Boston to Guatemala and back, via the border north of Seattle, only paying to camp once.)
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

Going back and reading the first post I believe the title should read Campgrounds or dispersed camping... Wink

I think Aswah was trying to distinguish between developed campgrounds and rough camping in the wilderness, not sleeping on a side street in town.

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

We've had some great experiences boondocking and find a little more character in primitive campgrounds. State or National Park campgrounds would be next on our list and private campgrounds typically last. We don't like being lined up with a whole bunch of 40 foot RVs. A hate the drone of generators in the wildness so we try to stay away from the regular RV crowd. It seems pretty standard for motorhomes to run their generators for T.V. and a microwave. I wish more folks would learn to cook without a microwave and consider a book or watch and listening to the actual wilderness over T.V. We do like private campgrounds when we need to do laundry, showers, fill with water and dump the porta potty. It's nice to do that all in one place sometimes.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

camping both stealth and established are very different in various parts of the country.
so there is not one definition that works for more than a few people.

some like traveling/camping in their van
some like living in a van down by the river.
some like urban stealth, and many can't relax or settle in to a darkened bunker on a urban street.

really this is a to each their own sort of question and there is no 'right' answer. as the moment always changes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

Got to love boondocking.
Free campsite close to tourist hustle, yet nice and quiet.
Behind Mt.Rushmore.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That's Mt.Rushmore in the background; the heads are on the right far side.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
Got to love boondocking.
Free campsite close to tourist hustle, yet nice and quiet.
Behind Mt.Rushmore.

That's Mt.Rushmore in the background; the heads are on the right far side.

Ooooo, just like in North By Northwest!!!
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Ooooo, just like in North By Northwest!!!

Yep, except we didn't see any fancy houses or an airstrip anywhere. Wink

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

Well.......

My younng Bride would go backpacking in the Cascades and Siskiyous, we would set up camp on the edge of an Alpine Lake and sleep under the stars.
Mice would scamper across our sleeping bag, free range Cattle would check us out during the night and .... well...... young kids in Love would do what young kids in love would do in the wilderness completely alone in the 1970's.

After 48 years, we no longer backback into isolated Alpine Lakes nor do we do what young kids in love do at isolated Alpine Lakes.

We are old, still madly in love but boondocking makes her uneasy, worried about getting arrested or murdered.

We tend to visit designated campgrounds.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
...but boondocking makes her uneasy, worried about getting arrested or murdered.
Dave

Old white folk don't get arrested, as for being murdered; it's a sad country we're making when we can't trust each other.

That being said, I use common sense when choosing a place to camp, we tend to not boondock near big cities or in redneck country. (meaning places where there's lots of obvious drinking, shot out signs, trash, etc.)

nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or Stealth? which do you prefer? Reply with quote

ryanwade95 wrote:

Prior to getting my westy, I parked in a quiet neighborhood in pentaluma, CA prior to the Grateful Dead 'Fare Thee Well' shows on June 27th/28th..

I love deadheads as much as the next old bus dude, but I can't think of a worse sticker to have on your vehicle if you are trying to stealth camp.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
OB Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

Free and cozy, Elk River Gorge, OR.

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

We're approaching Day 1,800 on the road and have stayed in lots of places, some good, some less so.

If lonely or wanting amenities, we go to campgrounds. When sick of people or wanting views, we go to the bush.

In the end it barely matters where we are, enjoy or don't bother, a turn of the key and everything's new again.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

We prefer the boonies. Free and no one to bother you

Just a regular guy
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
djkeev wrote:
...but boondocking makes her uneasy, worried about getting arrested or murdered.
Dave

Old white folk don't get arrested, as for being murdered; it's a sad country we're making when we can't trust each other.

That being said, I use common sense when choosing a place to camp, we tend to not boondock near big cities or in redneck country. (meaning places where there's lots of obvious drinking, shot out signs, trash, etc.)

My point was that age and an unfounded fear have changed her ways...... hence my ways.
There is no sense in arguing about it. You cannot easily reason away irrational fear with any measure of success.
It isn't like we deal with this issue daily, like E1 has been doing.
There are bigger better battles to fight. This one simply isn't worth the energy.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

Only time I have ever paid to camp, is camping with friends, out on our own, paying to sleep in my vehicle, that's against my religion, or it would be if I had a religion.
In my stingier days I have missed out on camping with friends because they went to camp grounds

619 201 0310
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
There is no sense in arguing about it. You cannot easily reason away irrational fear with any measure of success. Dave

I so have to disagree…or there is no hope for America, or the world.
Education is a good starting point. Exposure to other cultures, people, attitudes also helps.
And not watching a certain fear mongering news station. Wink

Some of my worst camping experiences have been at campgrounds.
We do use them, but prefer:

It really just depends on where you are.

llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

I like to park in a developed campground and then go for overnight back pack trips. Best of both worlds.

Developed campgrounds can vary a lot. At Pinnacles NP just before Thanksgiving we were the only campers in our loop. Quiet. Shocked

At Joshua Tree, Big Rocks, a beautiful spot but big campground, we had to go and ask neighbors to shut off their generator. I don't really mind a crowded campground as long as there is semi privacy. but I can't stand GENERATORS! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Haven't done much dispersed camping. I hope to. I was discourage from doing it outside Capitol Reef NP by a ranger who showed me how the NFS and BLM land was mixed with private land in a checkerboard fashion.

In the Sierras I was reading you need to store food in bear proof containers per regs. Why are all bear proof containers cylindrical? Most inefficient shape for packing for our little vans.

Last edited by llilibel03 on Tue May 22, 2018 10:03 am; edited 3 times in total
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:

In the Sierras I was reading you need to store food in bear proof containers per regs. Why are all bear proof containers cylindrical? Must inefficient shape for packing for our little vans.

They are cylindrical so there are no edges for Yogi and BooBoo to get their claws on.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

Meaningless post to point out to OB that this song keeps perfect time with his avatar.

This is important, People!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2zurZig4L8

— Colin Chapman
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Campgrounds or boondocking: Which do you prefer? Reply with quote

OB Bus wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:

In the Sierras I was reading you need to store food in bear proof containers per regs. Why are all bear proof containers cylindrical? Must inefficient shape for packing for our little vans.

They are cylindrical so there are no edges for Yogi and BooBoo to get their claws on.

Another reason is so they can fit into a back pack for hiking through bear country.

I thought most campgrounds have quiet hours from 10pm to 6am and that extended to generators?

I also though the point of generators were to keep house batteries charged during the day without having to idle. Are rvs insulated that good they cant hear their own generators?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: