Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help! On the road - rough running / misfiring while driving - WY
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayaredoubleyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:46 pm    Post subject: Help! On the road - rough running / misfiring while driving - WY Reply with quote

Posting from phone - keeping short.

87 Westfalia stock engine 2.1 L

While driving on highway getting rough engine, jerky, feels like misfiring. Most noticeable in 4th gear going downhill with RPM 3200-3600. All belts tight and in place. No fuel leaks or sounds from fuel pump. Any suggestions? No previous history of this issue.

Recent repairs (less than 1000 miles):

New belts
New fuel pump
New fuel filter
Upgrade to 16" rims
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! On the road - rough running / misfiring while driving - WY Reply with quote

When was the last tune up (spark plugs, wires, cap & rotor, air and fuel filter)?

How old is the Oxygen sensor?
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! On the road - rough running / misfiring while driving - WY Reply with quote

No previous history of this issue. --after you did the above repairs, and drove it around for a while, was it fine?

Did this happen shortly after getting gas in Wyoming? They may have noticed your "Greenie" plates and given you bad gas, not the gas from the "for locals only" tank...
bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! On the road - rough running / misfiring while driving - WY Reply with quote

Is it rainy and wet? If it is...water in gas from wheel well vent tank grommets...

Been there...done that.

B

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! On the road - rough running / misfiring while driving - WY Reply with quote

Could be several things - including Vanagon Syndrome.

Diagnostic for that - if you switch the ignition off then back on (no need to stop) does the problem clear for awhile?

Use caution and recall that for the moment you have the ignition switched off the steering is locked.
boroko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! On the road - rough running / misfiring while driving - WY Reply with quote

Steering locked usually only if you pull the key... But I'd still be careful.
jayaredoubleyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Help! On the road - rough running / misfiring while driving - WY Reply with quote

Thanks for replies everyone

So I pulled some spark plugs in an oreillys lot and they were definitely over gapped and the wires are pretty beat up as well. Oreillys was useless and none of the plugs they thought fit were right. I have a new cap and wires and plugs.... At home. Bad move on my part.

So we're pushing on and probably just keeping the speed low(er than normal) and trying to stay in cell service.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Help! On the road - rough running / misfiring while driving - WY Reply with quote

jayaredoubleyou wrote:
I have a new cap and wires and plugs.... At home.

Do you have anyone checking on your house while you are away? Have them mail the parts to you where you'll be in a few days? You can always have them sent to via general delivery to any post office. It would all fit in a medium flat rate priority mail box, $9.95 to ship it I think.

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Help! On the road - rough running / misfiring while driving - WY Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:
jayaredoubleyou wrote:
I have a new cap and wires and plugs.... At home.

Do you have anyone checking on your house while you are away? Have them mail the parts to you where you'll be in a few days? You can always have them sent to via general delivery to any post office. It would all fit in a medium flat rate priority mail box, $9.95 to ship it I think.

Great idea!
Im did that very thing with my old expansion valve last Summer, the new one was crap. A buddy found it in my garage and over nighted it to me in Montana at my daughters home.

You can have any vendor send you stuff too, just pick a town in your future and mail to the Post Office in your name as a General Delivery, will pick up on or about XYZ 2016.
I assume the USPS still does this? I Haven't done it for decades quite honestly.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:05 am    Post subject: Re: Help! On the road - rough running / misfiring while driving - WY Reply with quote

USPS hold for pickup, available at 31000 post offices per the website

I think you folks who do these tours should think about preboxing parts with someone, coding them by number, so that you can call up and say.

Send me box 3, 5, and 7 to this PO for pickup.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! On the road - rough running / misfiring while driving - WY Reply with quote

Heh great idea. On a related note, when we travel I leave a FedEx label laying on the kitchen counter thats one of those pre printed ones they give if you have sn account. Then the house watcher can just grab it and a fedex envrlope ir box and send things. One of us usually forgets something once a year.

I think someone could start a raging business selling jay browns bypass harness thing that plugs into the key components by having a couple in fedex overnights ready to go to a stranded Vanagon.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
bosstyn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help! On the road - rough running / misfiring while driving - WY Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Outside of the other things mentioned, these are a few things i would look at in my trouble shooting.

Check your AFM. Make sure there is continuity. In the above photo you can see where mine broke. Gave me a lot of trouble but luckily i was close to home.

You could also check the aux hose that goes in to the air intake just after the AFM. That one coming loose or leaking can do a good job of mucking up a smooth engine.

Temp II sensor? Oriellys should have these in stock and they're cheap. Start by making sure you have a good connection to the sensor. Lastly, i would replace it. Its a cheap part, and if it doesn't fix the problem, you have a spare.

You could check the quality of the grounds located on the diver side of the block.
If they look suspect, try cleaning them up.

Can you try describing how its running further?

Im still new to the "fix your own van" game, but sometimes anything can help.

You could also do a compression test........

Does anyone recall the "computer restart procedure" could that maybe help him out?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: