Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rebuilt Tight Engine break-in
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Rebuilt Tight Engine break-in Reply with quote

i had a 1500 short block rebuilt by a VW machine shop...then i had the heads rebuilt and installed a new set of Fapco P & Cs and proceeded to put the engine together.

It sat in my shop for about 2 months and i installed it today.

My question is i could not turn the engine over by hand and used a breaker bar and socket on the bottom pully nut and it turned slowly with a great deal of resistance and had a metallic sound internally. Is this normal?

i squirted some oil in nthe spark plug holes...

A friend suggested, i leave the coil wire off and turn it over and over until the green idiot light goes out and then try to start it and let it run...Is this the best procedure for a new tight engine?

[img]
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/img]

Last edited by ZENVWDRIVER on Fri May 20, 2011 8:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikewire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should turn over smoothly with little effort, and no metallic grinding sound Shocked

Did you have the plugs out when you turned it over, and which way did you turn it (reference from the flywheel side).

@countdowngarage
@bigskyeuro

1972 VW Kombi 9 Passenger Deluxe w/ 2.0L F.I. VWAC swap
1965 VW Beetle Deluxe Bahama Blue
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first the plugs were in when i turned it over... then i removed the plugs...squirted oil in the plug holes and left them out...turned counter clockwise when i adjusted the valves. i cannot turn the pully by hand...i need the assistance of a socket on the pulley.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jeffsbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 it should turn over easily, with plugs, (a little harder, you should feel the compression strokes). Without plugs, should be very easy by hand, no binding, metal noises etc.

I would take it back to the machine shop!!@!! Pronto! Shocked

Jeff
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffsbugs wrote:
X2 it should turn over easily, with plugs, (a little harder, you should feel the compression strokes). Without plugs, should be very easy by hand, no binding, metal noises etc.

I would take it back to the machine shop!!@!! Pronto! Shocked

Jeff

That sucks, but i will call them tomorrow...thanks.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of two things - someone screwed up building it or you got rust in the cylinders in the meantime.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the distributor installed when you turned it CCW?

When it was still a shortblock did the crank turn nicely and easily?
Surely you would have generously well oiled the rings, barrels and pistons when you put the top end together. So 2 months wouldn't have hurt anything.
Evidently the engine is installed in the bus now? Did the engine rotate nicely before it was put in?
Why did you even have plugs in it? Wouldn't you have cranked it without plugs to build pressure before starting it?
jeffsbugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:

Surely you would have generously well oiled the rings, barrels and pistons when you put the top end together. So 2 months wouldn't have hurt anything.
Evidently the engine is installed in the bus now? Did the engine rotate nicely before it was put in?
Why did you even have plugs in it? Wouldn't you have cranked it without plugs to build pressure before starting it?

Let's review the facts here. The shop had the motor for 2 months, SO! is it not their responsibility to oil and crank it?

Take it back and shove it where the sun don't shine. AND, either build your own engines, or find someone who knows how.........!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeffsbugs wrote:

Let's review the facts here.

That's a great idea Jeff. No need to get too quick to tell someone who, where, and what needs to get shoved.
It sounds like some VW shop built the shortblock, and then.........although it sure isn't crystal clear but it sounds like the OP put the top end together and then let it sit in HIS OWN SHOP shop for 2 months. He didn't say the VW shop put on the top end and finished the build. And the OP did install it.

So if that's the way it was the OP needs to answer the questions.

Quote:

towd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to laugh at these reply's ,, ya sure it's on the shop.

not a chance in hell......

one guy saying it should turn easy with plugs in Ha ha,,,,, course one guys easy is an others POS.. it should be hard to turn when it comes on compression, so much so that if you had the plugs out and your thumb covering teh hole, compression would push your thumb off , if not you did a piss poor rebuild,

next he says he did the upper end, he says he bought cheap p&C's if you knew vw parts you'd know those come with cast iron rings, cast rings have a very hi tensile strength , they are a very tight fit in most bores, maybe he set the end gap and maybe not. 9 times out of 10, they do make a strange scrapping sound, almost as if there cutting a new bore, why because they are..

question to ask is it hard to turn all the time or just on compression ??

ya leave the plugs out, crank it til the light goes out...
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

End play checked???. May be binding up when flywheel tightened down.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must say, i did not know to check for easy turning-over or not and really did not check it until i did most of my work. i place no blame anywhere yet.

i removed the engine from the 68 Westy this morning before i went to work. My plan is to begin removing everything and as i remove components check for ease of turning the engine over.

i'll bet i did sonmething wrong...anyway, i'll find out eventually. i have $900 into this project and will get to the bottom of the problem. i can't afford not to.

i'll post my findings.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you find the problem and get it resolved. Maybe check the crank endplay before tearing the engine down.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...asked a friend in Albuquerque and he advised to begin dismantling and check for tightness as i remove parts...the 3rd thing i removed was the crank pulley and the engine turned with little effort.

So, i put another one on and same thing...i could not turn the big nut without a lot of effort...the pulley must be my problem or part of the problem...

...what should i do...buy a new pulley? i'll try that next.
GusC2it
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stop! Your problem is not your pulley. First pull off the flywheel and remove 1 shim to insure plenty of end play. Reinstall Flywheel. No need to completely torque the Gland nut.Then install your pully and check rotation. The distributor should be installed and leave the plugs out to remove compression resistance. we'll go from there.

Last edited by GusC2it on Tue May 24, 2011 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...what should i do...buy a new pulley? i'll try that next

You've had two different pulleys installed and torqued with similar results. buying another pulley probably won't solve the problem.

Did the shop set the end play? I'm wondering if that could be the problem. Maybe try installing the pulley loosely while turning the engine. Slowly tighten the bolt while turning until you feel it bind. Then examine everything while looking for clearance. You might also be able to see marks on the pulley from it hitting something.

A better place to post this might be the performance section. Those guys are the big engine nuts.

Lastly, you know there are two kinds of pulleys, sand seal and stock. Make sure you have the correct one for your engine.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Do like Gary says^^^

Forget about the pulley for now.
Make sure the crank end play is correct. You have to measure it.

Carefully look at the pulley and also the case and see where it was contacting and binding up. An aluminum pulley? they are thicker. And they can hit the pulley tin and also the oil pump cover if it's not a standard pump and cover.

There is no nut to turn. It's a bolt head.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
...what should i do...buy a new pulley? i'll try that next

You've had two different pulleys installed and torqued with similar results. buying another pulley probably won't solve the problem.

Did the shop set the end play? I'm wondering if that could be the problem. Maybe try installing the pulley loosely while turning the engine. Slowly tighten the bolt while turning until you feel it bind. Then examine everything while looking for clearance. You might also be able to see marks on the pulley from it hitting something.

A better place to post this might be the performance section. Those guys are the big engine nuts.

Lastly, you know there are two kinds of pulleys, sand seal and stock. Make sure you have the correct one for your engine.

THANKS TO GUSc2IT ALSO...I WILL stop RIGHT HERE... i will put the pulley on little by little to see where / if hitting anywhere.

Also, i will call the shop that did the work and explain everything and get a reply...hopefully they will want it back to recheck everything. It is a VERY reputable VW shop in Tulsa, OK.

A friend in Albuquerque suggested the pulley is rubbing on part of the case and could be a result of the line bore being off a bit.

i'll keep you posted...thanks for all your help.
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Carefully look at the pulley and also the case and see where it was contacting and binding up.

I had that problem with a 30mm oil pump years ago. I had to grind a mm or so of 2 of the pump bolts.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desertbusman wrote:
^^^Do like Gary says^^^

Forget about the pulley for now.
Make sure the crank end play is correct. You have to measure it.

Carefully look at the pulley and also the case and see where it was contacting and binding up. An aluminum pulley? they are thicker. And they can hit the pulley tin and also the oil pump cover if it's not a standard pump and cover.

There is no nut to turn. It's a bolt head.

"...and also, the oil pump cover..." the oil pump cover got me tossing and turning and thinking during my 10 hour slumber last night...my oil pump cover is not the standard one.

Since i am using a Bug 1500 engine fitted into a 1968 Bay Bus, i had to use an adapter. So, i put the pulley tin on... then the pulley and turned the pulley bolt, ensuring i could turn the engine by hand from the flywheel and at a curtain point, i was unable to turn the engine by hand AND when i looked, i noticed the studs holding the adapter on were too long, not allowing the tin to sit flush and the pulley was binding on the tipped-out tin.

i removed everything and installed shorter studs and reassembled everything AND the engine turned by hand smoothly with the plugs out...with the plugs in, i could feel each compression stroke and smooth in between.

That was it! Thank you you everyone who gave my direction. You guys are the greatest.

As a Zen practioner, i have learned that the only place to ever place blame, is on ones self...and as usual, i am to blame. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: