Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seat Re-upholstering...
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jt69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:08 am    Post subject: Seat Re-upholstering... Reply with quote

I'll be re-upholstering my 59 Bug seats. This is the first time I've done such a thing and would appreciate any images, tips or websites that might have some detailed information on what to do and not to do...

I'm sure there are tons of threads with this topic. I did a search but couldn't pin down any direct discussion on how to etc. Mostly it was topics on cushions and debates over using horse hair (coconut fiber ) style seat pads.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is by no means a comprehensive post about it but some tips for you from when I did mine...

1. Let the covers heat up out in the sun for a few hours.
2. Turn them inside out.
3. Pull the covers down over the frames and line up the seams, make sure they are lined up because they are about impossible to adjust once they're on
4. Slowly work the cover down the pad, very carefull turning it out, kind of roll it down.
5. be careful as you do this because if you try to get it on too fast you can rip the covers at the stitching.
6. pull tight and poke the prongs through the covers, make sure that you continue to verify that it is lined up as you attach it.

If you run into anything else along the way feel free to IM me. Also take a look at the thread of my 58 build it has some pretty good pics of the seats being built up.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some plywood and clamps compress the springs and makes putting the bottom on easier....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shano63 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did mine for the first time in the westy. If you use the foam cushions like I did, prepare to do a little trimming. Someone on here said to put the covers in the dryer for like a minute or two. If the suns not out, do that. It helps to warm them. This helped me when I did mine.. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=230572&highlight=
78 F250 4x4 4spd

Chris

Take it as it comes-- Morrison
DaveOBrien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I did was research the heck out of the seat cover pricing and settled on Wolfsburg West. When I bought my covers, and coconut pads from them they included a Video DVD on how to install the seat covers. It was very clear and informative and worked for me. You can see my seat cover adventure just search my posts.
Along with the WW dvd there are some great how to posts here on the samba and one on the VW Trends site. This should be all you need.

One final word of advice is to use the Coconut pads instead of the foam.

Dave

When I bought it

By daveobrien at 2010-10-16

After I pulled the old seat covers

New TMI seat covers from WW half way there

Done and installed

By daveobrien at 2011-03-20
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few pictures showing how I did the front seat backrests. It's kinda tricky getting those two plastic edges into the slit on the seat frame.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3025079#3025079

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Real nice, DaveOBrien
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
DaveOBrien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cusser,

fluxcap your post was very helpful! it really helped me out Thank you for making that informative post.

The Samba Rules!
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, I would use the coconut fiber pads (at least on the seat bottoms) and TMI seat covers...It's pretty fool proof for beginners and your results will look fantastic.

If you have seperated the spring units from the frames for painting, you'll have to reattach those first. I use a layer of burlap over the springs first, followed by the pads (which can be a TIGHT fit over the springs), then a single layer of cotton batting over the top of the pad (on JUST the bottom cushions for 64-down seats).

With the seat cover (bottom cushion) inside out, I use the method of turning the front portion of the cover and part of the sides right side out and "hooking" the front over the springs. Then I roll the rear portion of the seat cover (that's inside out still) over the back while also working the sides. You have to be careful not to tear or move the cotton batting (if used). From here, you can flip the seat bottom over (onto something soft but firm...like plywood and a blanket) so the seat tracks are facing up. At this point I install the listing wire (even if the string is provided already with the seat cover) and I begin hooking the listing wire around the hooks on the seat frame bottom. Work the front first and then the sides and if there are broken hooks on your seat bottoms, you can pop rivet the cover in place where the hook originally was (use a washer on the rivet first to prevent tearing). Obviously you can repair the broken hooks before painting, but they don't always break until you're 3/4 of the way done and the seat is already painted. Mad

To install the seat cover on the backrest, I add wax paper over (and around) the top of the seat pad anddown both sides. I start with the cover inside out but I turn the first 8 or 10 inches (top part of the cover) right side out and carefully slide it down until the top rounded part is seated tight against the pad...If you have a ton of gaps or wrinkles here, you'll need to carefully pull the cover back off and add a strip of batting on the top part, or readjust the cover until it fits and looks good. If it already fits good, you can reach up and tear the wax paper at the top and keep "unrolling" the seat cover over the pad until its all the way down. You can now pull the wax paper out by pulling it down in the front, then flipping the seat back around and pulling the other half from the back. Check the fit of the cover along the sides at this point (trim foam or other pad if needed) and then flip the open end of the seat backrest over so you can finish it.

To mate the seat bottom and backrest, I lay the seat bottom as it normally sits (on the tracks) and also lay the seat back in the fully reclined position (flat on it's back...or slightly up so the frame legs or forks are resting flat). From here I grab the seat back frame legs and work them around the seat bottom upholstery and lower frame, using my hands to protect the legs from puncturing the seat cover on the lower half of the seat. Once you have one side safely around the seat bottom you'll want to pull the other side over the seat bottom upholstery, then hook one leg over the stud on the lower frame and add the acorn (style) nut to secure it. From here I put the loose side up (and the secured side on the ground on a blanket) and use both hands to pull the loose seat leg over the other stud.

A couple of tips I can suggest are:

1)Use a heat gun if it's cold out (or the sun AND a heat gun if it's hot out).

2)Take your time and don't force anything!

3)Always pull the seat cover by the stitched seams (where the welting or cording is) and work the same direction the seat cover is going (down or up on the frame) so you don't tear the threads...pulling the cover away from the frame will tear the threads.

4)Always place a blanket down so you don't rip, tear, or scuff your seat cover.

5)Use a glass stick or flat bar to hook the coconut fiber pads over the spring units...A screwdriver will probably tear the new pads.

6)Have fun and good luck! You'll feel like you saved a bunch of money (because you did) doing this yourself.

I'll try to post pics later of the process I use...There are many ways to do these seat cover installs though. Smile

-Andy
bagged59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent thread. I'm about to re-upholster mine as well and this advice will help me. One question though: everyone says they recommend the horsehair or coconut fiber pads over the foam ones, but nobody says why. Can someone please explain the pros/cons?
DaveOBrien
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, just my opinion of course.

Coconut Pad pros:

Firm pad, same as original padding, smell of the fiber same as original pads.

Foam cons:

too soft, no og smell.

Can you tell I am biased. Surprised
youngnstudly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foam can be too soft for some (it's a preferance thing Wink ) but more importantly it can break down more rapidly (premature wear), plus the foam that is supplied for the VW applications is cheesy flat foam that is glued in multiple pieces. That gives the foam padding multiple places to come apart. The major plus used to be that it was much more affordable, but I think that has changed in recent years. Whenever I do my own upholstery and I don't use coconut fiber pads, I use a higher density of foam as my main layer and reinforce the hell out of it with a top layer, but that's only for custom applications. If I can find a deal on the seat back foam, I'll use that, but I won't even consider using the foam for seat bottoms. I glue heavy cloth or burlap over any glue seams on foam padding....inside and out-NO EXCEPTIONS!

I've been too busy today to find and post the assembly pics, but if you're wondering about the glue used by TMI and why I recommend using reinforcement or Coconut pads, here's the reason....Brand new TMI panels straight out of the box....with NO staples whatsoever...luckily they used high quality glue on this SET of 4 panels I received. Rolling Eyes Don't worry, I'm sure they use much better glue for seat foam... Shocked

I remember why I made my own panels for previous years now! I thought I'd "cheat" and buy a kit...Back to my old ways of hand making my interiors.

Andy
dugsgms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uses WW pads and TMI covers on my 63. Really easy job but what made it alot easier is putting the covers in the dryer for a minute or so on low. Made them so much more flexible they just slipped over the seat backs no problem at all and then as they cooled they shrunk up and there were no wrinkles.
jt69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:42 am    Post subject: Seats upholstery, part deux! Reply with quote

Great stuff, folks. Thank you so much for the feedback on my initial questions, However, with that said, I got worried I would screw them up or ruin them, so I took the front seats to one of the best upholstery shops going. I wanted some top quality comfortable driving seats with lumbar since I have horrible back problem and the guy or gal after me will appreciate it more.

I'm not sure why everyone says no on foam. I think it's the foam folks are buying that's the problem. I was looking at some seats he was going to put in a high end muscle car and they were foam and they were absolutely beautiful and firm too. I'd much rather have that than the fall all over the floor horsehair stuff.

With that said, I'm going to do the bench myself. Looks easy enough and it's not often I'll have somebody in the back seat. Furthermore, the horse hair was fine and the seats looked like they were never used at all. HOWEVER, on the backrest for the 59, there is a hardboard stuff (same thing the panels are made of) with steel reinforcement. The new TMI cover does not come with this so I'm kind of scratching my head.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GREAT THREAD!! I just did my interior and finished it last night. Rebuilt the seat springs the same way as above, new horsehair pads from WW, but we know there not really horsehair, shredded coconut husk i believe, came out great, feels right when your sitting it, car is ready to roll for the VW Classic this weekend, I ran out of time, didnt get mu Sguare weave carpet in though, well thats just another procet for another time, heres some pics!

61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jt69bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that's the EXACT same color I chose (oxide red ~ correct?)

I LOVE the interior! I have a question though, with all the particulars to detail nobody will see really (horsehair pads), why the aftermarket steering wheel? :\ I mean, I like it a lot, just curious.

[quote="CLASSIC CAR GUY"]GREAT THREAD!! I just did my interior and finished it last night. Rebuilt the seat springs the same way as above, new horsehair pads from WW, but we know there not really horsehair, shredded coconut husk i believe, came out great, feels right when your sitting it, car is ready to roll for the VW Classic this weekend, I ran out of time, didnt get mu Sguare weave carpet in though, well thats just another procet for another time, heres some pics!

obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Re-upholstering... Reply with quote

Hey folks! I stumbled on these photos while looking for Oxide Red interiors. I've just ordered up my interior to start getting my 64 together. I got a call from Rich at WW who mentioned that for my year my car (64 Deluxe with Oxide seats) would have had a charcoal carpet set. That seemed odd to me because the carpet in it now is oatmeal. I actually love how the interior looks above, and I'll be using the rubber floor mats so the black will likely look cleaner and will help tie in a black seat belt.
Out of curiosity did most cars then have black? It seems like an odd color for a white car with red seats.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Re-upholstering... Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
Hey folks! I stumbled on these photos while looking for Oxide Red interiors. I've just ordered up my interior to start getting my 64 together. I got a call from Rich at WW who mentioned that for my year my car (64 Deluxe with Oxide seats) would have had a charcoal carpet set. That seemed odd to me because the carpet in it now is oatmeal. I actually love how the interior looks above, and I'll be using the rubber floor mats so the black will likely look cleaner and will help tie in a black seat belt.
Out of curiosity did most cars then have black? It seems like an odd color for a white car with red seats.

According to the VW colour combinations book (Link here), all '64 Deluxes had grey-black carpet originally.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Re-upholstering... Reply with quote

I put a grey squareweave carpet set in my ragtop- just in case I someday freak out and change the seats and panels to red. It came out looking mottled enough to at least give the car more 'texture" in appearance. I like the results.

Another way of looking at it- it's your car. If you prefer the look of oatmeal and already have it- you do not have to do what the factory did. They made plenty of mistakes in my book (like thinking they could keep making beetles after 1967).

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Re-upholstering... Reply with quote

You guys are great. Mukluk you may get the MVP award on my build because EVERY question I have you come through on. I hope to meet you one day to buy you lunch!
Hitest, you're right. I could do whatever I want and for half a second I even thought of using the water blue seats because I just think the color looks sick. I did use a 63 lid and front signals because they look cooler IMO. But I'm gonna go with the gray-black carpet. I actually think that it will help obscure the black seatbelts.
Thanks guys for all the help! See you back on my build thread. Engine tins just came back from powdercoaging. Photos coming soon!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: