Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do?
To do
55%
 55%  [ 37 ]
Not to do
44%
 44%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 67

rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Don't see how anyone could do that without blowing the tank, the bus, and themselves to high heaven.

FlowerPowered wrote:
rubbachicken wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bet this guy thought he had a bad fuel float since he never could seem to get a full tank indication...and what's up with that persistant gas smell? Rolling Eyes

the cut was only done after the bus had been scrapped, it was being parted out, i got the tank, only when the guy delivered me the tank did he notice that it was cut, so i got the tank for free Very Happy i cannot vouch for the smell from the 5 holes drilled in the tank, it was an easy fix welding it up
a light bulb without the glass on it, some wire and a battery was enough to blow Shocked the fumes out of it so i could safely weld it Very Happy

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rubbachicken wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Don't see how anyone could do that without blowing the tank, the bus, and themselves to high heaven.

FlowerPowered wrote:
rubbachicken wrote:

Bet this guy thought he had a bad fuel float since he never could seem to get a full tank indication...and what's up with that persistant gas smell? Rolling Eyes

the cut was only done after the bus had been scrapped, it was being parted out, i got the tank, only when the guy delivered me the tank did he notice that it was cut, so i got the tank for free Very Happy i cannot vouch for the smell from the 5 holes drilled in the tank, it was an easy fix welding it up
a light bulb without the glass on it, some wire and a battery was enough to blow Shocked the fumes out of it so i could safely weld it Very Happy

No shit, you ignited it? I voted yes. vw did it and so am I. I cant remember if I cut the hole or a po did it but Im going to use the left over metal from my type 3 engine lid job to make a cover. Its proven that sending units fail. I for one dont want to have a sender fail while on a long trip. Trying to find the spot in the bently where they show this. 63-67 bently.
Lettuce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

igniting the fumes in it is a good way to make it a 20 gallon tank Shocked
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just fill the tank with water and weld it while full of water.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my65vert wrote:
I just fill the tank with water and weld it while full of water.

i've welded diesel tanks that way, but i'd not risk a petrol tank, that's asking for a boom

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

running a hair dryer in the filler hole workes too. Gets the fumes out. When the fumes are out, if you still want to fill it with water go ahead. I dont like the water idea as it promotes rust
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
running a hair dryer in the filler hole workes too. Gets the fumes out.

I know a guy that tried this. He showed me the bruise all up and down his torso he got when the tank blew up once he started welding. The problem is that there are compounds in the gas that are not very volatile and are only released once the heat of the welding operation reaches them.
vwheelintheski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Fuel sender access hole, to do or not to do? Reply with quote

My original sender and gauge worked fine for 10 years before the long nap. Now that I am going through everything I went ahead and put in a new sender while the tank is out. I have a feeling the motor will be coming out at least one more time before I'm done so no hole for me. I have enough holes to plug as it is. I can't believe dealers used to cut holes in the body to fix it quick. I guess I would consider it if everything else was just exactly perfect but once you cut a hole in your car it's not exactly perfect anymore.
quartermilecamel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
quartermilecamel wrote:
running a hair dryer in the filler hole workes too. Gets the fumes out.

I know a guy that tried this. He showed me the bruise all up and down his torso he got when the tank blew up once he started welding. The problem is that there are compounds in the gas that are not very volatile and are only released once the heat of the welding operation reaches them.

Lemme guess, he used the heat setting? Ok so how long does a tank have to sit for it to be safe to weld on?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quartermilecamel wrote:
Ok so how long does a tank have to sit for it to be safe to weld on?

I would say it depends on what has been in it. People say "well it only had diesel in it so its safe to weld". Well the diesel is going to take a long time to fully evacuate itself from the tank, far longer than gasoline. Heat it high enough and the less volatile compounds will vaporize and possible explode.

There are obviously safe ways to prepare a tank for welding, most of us just don't have the experience to know whether what we are doing is safe or not.

Filling a tank with water is probably the surest way to know that it will not explode, while using shielding gases like CO2 would be a less sure way, but with sufficient care safe enough.
chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A welder I know welds petrol tanks all the time, he runs a pipe in from a car exhaust & leaves the car run (outside of course) Then welds, he's about 60 & not dead so it must work.

Or you could do it this way:-
http://www.usernetsite.com/humor/this-is-so-funny-09072317001131/welding-a-gas-tank.jpg
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisradioman wrote:
A welder I know welds petrol tanks all the time, he runs a pipe in from a car exhaust & leaves the car run (outside of course) Then welds, he's about 60 & not dead so it must work.

http://www.usernetsite.com/humor/this-is-so-funny-09072317001131/welding-a-gas-tank.jpg

Ever seen a muffler blow up because of a backfire? This is what your welder friend is risking.
chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
chrisradioman wrote:

Ever seen a muffler blow up because of a backfire? This is what your welder friend is risking.

I'll try not be around when he does it then lol. Shocked
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a car puts out moatly CO2 then the CO2 would make the tank weldable. If the car puts out lots of CO then get ready for an explosion as CO is only 1/2 burned fuel.

When I was about 13 or 14 a friend threw a match in the tank of an old car that had crashed down a ravine. The road section it was on had been abandoned about 15 - 20 years. The tank in the old car was full of bullet holes and had a tear in it from sliding over rocks. It still flashed and he lost his eyebrows and quite a bit of hair not to mention he looked like he had a bad sunburn.

When I was about 17 I brazed a metal fuel tank for a lawn mower that had a crack around the mounts. Filled it with soapy water several times then filled it mostly full so I could braze it. It still caught fire and burned for about 5 minutes until the oils that had seeped into the metal leeched out.
BeauTrippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As soon as I get my new sender, I am cutting away. Plan on making an access hatch for future use.
Mal evolent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$12 bucks...

http://www.fishreports.net/boat-accessory/hatches.html

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/baier-marine/boats-round-deck-hatches-30089-220357.html

Baja Bugs for Volkswagen Virgins: Index
BeauTrippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an awesome idea there. You just made it a little easier than me making a hatch. Laughing
butterbean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crushed dry ice can be used to inert a fuel tank. It continues to release carbon dioxide as it "melts" and displaces the oxygen and fuel vapors. I've used it many times when decommissioning underground storage tanks.

I found it convenient to do the sender while the engine was already out.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I the PO hadnt cut a nice big hatch in my 77, Id of never ventured to pull the motor out. The hatch as said in all the past posts makes life a whole bunch easier 80% of the time when no plans are mare to take the motor out.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chris_914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the deal with all the late models needing holes cut? This should only be an issue with the earlier cylinder senders. I got mine out without pulling the engine and just pulling the cover out far enough to access it. The only things I removed are the various items attached to the tank cover.

I used a long rod and hammer to unlock it and then snaked it out the left (LHD driver's side) upper corner.

Mine had a sunk float. I drained it and used a soldering iron to reseal it. So for so good. I set the limit tabs on the sender outside of the tank to match the full and empty lines on the gauge.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: