Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Porsche Design 90's
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Porsche Design 90's Reply with quote

Hey guys. New type 3 guy here. Just picked up my first type 3 saturday, a 1964 Notchback 1500S. Floors are gone but other than that....a typical 40 year old California car. Needs lots of love though. The body will basically be restored back to original but the suspension will get altered.

So I have been looking around and the Design 90's have really caught my eye. 16x6 front and 16x8 rear. I think they are a clean mix newer style rim, but not too modern or flashy. Get a cool look without making it look super German Look. This picture is a great example:

[img]http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/4403/111005bo2.jpg[/img]

Well my question is has anybody run these rims? I have emailed the user that posted the above photo and no reply, also emailed the subynotch owner as he is also running these, but also; no reply. So I thought I would post it here. Anyone running these? Will they bolt right on after the obvious bolt pattern change? Have access to a complete disc front end and 4 lug rear drums so that makes it much easier.

I know that Type 3's like large offset rims to tuck them into the wheel wells and these have an ET of 50+ (I will find the specifics later today), and thought that maybe that would make for a good fit.

Thanks guys. If there is someone on here that IS running these and I foolishly missed it, then please feel free to guide me that way. Maybe my search skills are lacking. Haha. Take it easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Porsche Design 90's Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dunno. Nice wheels though.

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raf is running them:

RafCarre12 wrote:

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blankmange wrote:
Raf is running them:

RafCarre12 wrote:

Those are different wheels. Brett, it's tough to squeeze 7" wheels with 205 tires. I can only imagine how tricky it will be to squeeze 8's in the back.

Nick
Megasquirted Type 4 powered Notch http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Blog of Doom http://supaninjanick.wordpress.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
vwfye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offset is everything... I have 17x7s with 205s on the rear of my squareback. as long as the tires is 26" or shorter, it can happen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Nick I know what you mean. A 8" rim is pretty fat but they look right at home under the arches of that notch. I am not really going for a fat tire, just whatever looks good on that rim.

Like the guy said below me. Offset can really make a big difference when squeezing something like that in. Here is a photo of the rims on the Subynotch.

I swear. I try and try to post photos. Samba hates me.

You can tell in the rear its a little close in the rear of that one, but in the blue one it doesn't even look close. He posted his tire sizes in the wheel thread.....

Quote:
User's notch was previuosly running on polisted design90 16" wheels with 175/50 (on 6J) and 205/45 on 8J

But yeah. I don't know how easy it will be to run them but I am pretty set on that look. They almost look like they belong there. I like it.
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If someone can, please let me know what I am doing wrong with my photos and quotes. I have read the page that Everett has created, but I still cant figure out what I am doing wrong. It looks right to me...and I have tried it on three different computers so I am stumped.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

your photobucket account must be set as private so it won't let us see them

[IMG (i removed the other bracket "]" to show you what the code looks like) http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u45/CDNBullyboy/IMG_0669.jpg[/IMG]

when you stick it back in it works

so it's gotta be your photobucket settings

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Girlfriends photobucket. Album is public now. Take a look if you want. Still don't know why it doesn't wanna work.....
Kirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Save them to your computer, upload them to Samba, then post them. Wink

Bear
Coble
Super
Oppenheim
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwfreek61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's going to take a little work to make the 16x8 wheels fit in the back. I did a test fit with a set I had.

1987 Vanagon Westy w/Subaru EJ25 and reversed 4EAT
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any difference in track between the IRS and the swing axle? Your square looks to be IRS as my notch will be swing.
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on a swing axle switch to bug short axles in the back and you can probably run the 8s pretty easily. on an irs car you can narrow using 2 of the shorter axles from an auto car. or run 6s all the way around.

i have a set in my stash that will probably be painted a darker gray and ran on a t3 at some point in time...ken....
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still need to find a set. I will be going a charcoal or anthracite color on the rims on a pearl white notch. I think it will look clean.

Well if you put the short axles from a bug and you run them that way if the rims are too wide wouldnt you rub on the springplates? The guy with the blue notch just needs to PM me back. Haha.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buying big ass wheels that don't fit is Money down the Drain! Idea
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well obviously they fit....look at the photos. Haha. :)

Last edited by Bret Young on Mon May 23, 2011 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
supaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy has cosmic's with 205's in the back and they fit, but its a real close fit with the fenders and springplates.

Nick
Megasquirted Type 4 powered Notch http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427890&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Facebook Classifieds Feedback
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supaninja wrote:
My buddy has cosmic's with 205's in the back and they fit, but its a real close fit with the fenders and springplates.

I went with short axles and run 205/65's. No rub and plenty of clearance with gasburners. I don't know the offset compared to cosmics though.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supaninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are your fenders rolled, we had to roll one of his fenders and now it's fine. He does have a SA and short axles.

Nick
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I guess if everyone says they wont fit I can always go to wheel choice number two....gasburners. I know those will fit. Just liked the D90's as they were a little less common.

The new CIP1 cosmics caught my eye, but they are out of stock. Anyone know if they will be getting any more anytime soon? Thats a wheel you dont see on type 3's everyday...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: