Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jismay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found an inexpensive 1" memory foam topper.

What I did is shove it inside a duvet cover.

What we found on our cross-country trip is that it was very easy to just roll up the topper + sheets + blankets, and then put our chairs and miscellaneous other things in front of and on top.

Then, when it was time to make the bed we just moved the chair, etc and unrolled the entire bundle. Kept everything clean, even if the chairs had sand,dirt,gravel on them.

At home the entire bundle can be rolled up and fastened closed and then shoved into a closet until the next camping trip.
1989 VW Cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Nimbus'87
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Mattress topper... Reply with quote

Purchased 2"-2.5" Gel topper from Overstock.
Cal. King cut will fit both top & bottom. Cost was the same as king/queen.
Top was trimmed to 44" to allow for tent @ sides. Only one sleeps atop.
Folded into 3'rds, with top/bottom sheet & light blanket, all fit/compress with no issues up top, behind folded Westy mattress. Pillows are tossed below.
2" Gel compresses to approx. 3/8"
For weight and circulation issues, top is removed when not needed. Stored in trash bag and tossed into garage attic for storage.
Bottom stays folded behind seat with pillows and quilt ready at moments notice. Laughing
Huge bonus in comfort. Below 40deg. Gel is stiff till body heat molds to fit and again very comfortable. Seems to work well in keeping cool in summer too.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

MaineVagabond
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"... the upper bunk cover is grippy and the foam is sticky and it was a real workout without a cover on the foam."

Yup. That's how I destroyed my original foam over 3 years of use. (Trying to pull it forward as I rolled it up, it would stick on the "grippy fabric" and cause the foam to tear.)

I bought new foam and created — enough for a single version and a double version — and had a seamstress create washable covers with sleeping bag zippers. If I'm travelling solo, I bring the single, if I'm not, I bring the double.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

I use an inflatable. The KLYMIT Double V Sleeping Pad is precisely the dimensions of both beds (47x74 inches). Not advertising, but very comfortable.

https://www.amazon.com/Sleeping-Lightweight-Comfor...&psc=1
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ledogboy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
I use an inflatable. The KLYMIT Double V Sleeping Pad is precisely the dimensions of both beds (47x74 inches). Not advertising, but very comfortable.

This is what we do, and we are super happy with it. The one thing I dislike was having to inflate it via the bag, but now I have a compressor on board and the job is done in no time! (And yes, this is an example of extreme laziness!)
Some people call him Maurice...
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:

I just bought one. I've been looking for a solution for the upper bunk. Thanks.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
Westaru
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

The ALPS Mountaineering Lightweight Series Air Pad - Double also fits well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QCJVT4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had 2x Klymit but eventually went to the Alps as I got sick of pumping them up and deflating every night. Comfort is similar between the two.

FWIW, if anyone is looking I have an extra of the Alps linked above. I purchased 2 of them but we only use 1 on the bottom bunk as the kids don't need the other upstairs. Used only 1x, feel free to send me a PM if you are looking.
JungleJamJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

having read most of this thread, I have a couple observations/questions:

1. How about using a shorter topper that just goes down past your hips. This would use less room, fold and store easier and use less weight, yet you'd have all of the additional cushion you need where it counts.

2. Could a modified hinge be designed and installed to accommodate thicker replacements of the original mattress pads? If so, seems like an opportunity for some motivated engineer to create a kit and make dozens of dollars!
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

Not at all sure of how it was accomplished, but I have SEEN the top bunk open AND the top down. There's your space, IMHO. I have not tried this. But when I commented to the person about the bunk being deployed and the top down with "I didn't know you could do it" he replied "It's yours, you can do whatever you want!"
slapin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

I am curious how this ancient thread died before the one person who was doing some serious product testing and engineering came up with a solution? Have there been any updates to this age old question?
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

KLYMIT Double V Sleeping Pad.

Light, quick to inflate, very comfortable.
Highly recommended.

replaced a mattress topper that was a pain in the arse.
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:

x2

ive been camping in our van the last week while we have house guests and its been incredibly comfortable.

they pack down tiny for storage, and are really quick and easy to inflate using the storage bag as a pump. i like this better for van camping versus some of the self inflating foam sleeping pads we use for ground camping, since typically when we turn the van into "sleep mode" there isnt enough time for those foam pads to fully inflate and i find them a chore to manually blow up.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

I have a Klymit double that I’d gladly swap for a topper. I Love that it is easy to inflate and packs up so small, but I find it uncomfortable.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbailey2112
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

We carry two of the Klymit Double V inflatable mattresses too. Pack up very small and fit under the bench seat for storage. Dimensions are an exact fit. The key is to also carry a couple of deep full size fitted sheets and use them to hold the air mattresses to the foam mattresses on both the top and bottom beds. Not as nice as memory foam for sure but easy to pack away and much better than sleeping on just the stock foam.
Rorke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

After 45 consecutive days in the bus, my partner said she needed an upgrade.
We have the Klymit and it is super helpful but loud and bouncy for two.

After reading the description, i had to buy one. I have a few other Fancher"s products. All great. Shipping was fast.

This Should work up top. Only tried down low.

My gal loves it.

https://fanchers.com/shop/ols/products/the-best-me...bric-cover
Vetterdog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the “Casper Layer”? It’s. 2” mattress topper that is supposed to be fabulous. Originally made for dorm rooms etc so a guest could sleep comfortably on the floor. A twin xl is 37.5 x 79” x 2” and is under $100. I’m considering one since the topper I now use is ok, but only ok. And can I put the top down in my late bay with the bed open? Never tried it!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

We got a 1 1/2" medium density latex foam topper last summer and it has transformed our Westy sleeping experience! I should probably replace the OEM foam in the seat amd mattresses but...

It folds over and stores invisibly on top of the top bunk.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

FWIW: Any memory foam up to ~2" will still allow you to close the poptop.

Mine was from Overstock.com a few years ago, under $40, cut down slightly
to fit & easily worth twice the price... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Boegrrl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Mattress topper up top on bunk??? How do you fit it? Reply with quote

Instead of replacing the original pad I simply purchased a Big Agnes self inflating Mattress For a tight and perfect fit. I then added a memory foam that does also get stuffed and tucked away. Best bed ever.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: