Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition switch for a 66 bug
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajadave66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:03 pm    Post subject: Ignition switch for a 66 bug Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I purchased a 66 bug and I need the original ignition switch that's on the steering column. They rerouted the key switch to the dash board. Is this a separate unit with wire hardness that someone can replace back to original state? Yes, they cut the wires……..
Aynthm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I understand but my '66 has the ignition on the dash next to the ash tray. I bought a new one with a key from jbugs. You can get them in many places.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Ignition switch? Reply with quote

Smile The ignition switch on the steering column means it was a imported car. Someone bought it from EU to the US. They (VW) started the steering column ignition switch in 1959-60 as I did see one in the mid 1960's.

VW did a lot of things to their cars in EU but not to the US mkt.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.
Doctor Notes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure it's two ignition switches and not a steering column lock/ignition combo? My '65 came with both.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bajadave66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure it was the ignition switch, a bunch of wires were cut. It does lock the steering wheel but why would they install so many wires? I believe they made a change to the dash because of ignition problems. I have seen pictures of 66 with ignition switch on the steering column. Can anybody post picture of a 66 dash and steering column? I'm sure it's the combo lock / ignition.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check with Dan at Roscoes in VTA...he would have a good accurate answer.

Steve . Volks Works
bajadave66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool idea!! I just live about 10 miles from Ventura. How do you know about VW Roscoes in Ventura. Do you know a good VW engine rebuilder up here in Ventura county?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early ignition switch/steering lock was prone to failure in the electrical portion of the assembly, and they are hard to find. The PO probably just re-routed the wires to the standard ignition switch and location.

If you have an early steering lock/switch (Samba classifieds, ebay, etc), you should be able to fit it back the way it was. Maybe use the new dash hole for a USB or iPod tap (hole is too small for a lighter).

Those locks were held by shear bolts, which can be found if you search You will have to drill out the old ones. If you are lucky, you might be able to replace the electrical part without having to do this.

If you do, install a "hard start relay" (search for the threads here) under the back seat, not under the car, in order to save the new switch from the solenoid current, which is why the old ones wear out. This is one of the few good reasons to add such a relay, but is worth it in the case.
bajadave66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I want to do, get back to original state. The hard start relay sounds like a good plan for protection. I just need someone who is familiar with all these key points to do the work. I'm also thinking of changing over from 6 volt to 12 volt. I wonder if that would have a affect on the original ignition switch.
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Bajadave 66, I was a VW engine builder on Callens Rd in VTA for 8 yrs...sold to a son... semi retired for 3 yrs and returned to open Volks Works Parts on the same street for 9 yrs before retiring to Mexico.

Had many dealings with Dan and he knows his stuff and is a soft spoken kind of guy. My name and rep is well known in the Vta, Oxnard. Sold a lot of Rblt engines those yrs.

I spoke with Dan a week or so ago about a part for someone here on Samba.

Steve (Volks Works)
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing to 12V will help with starts, and that ignition switch will be seeing a little over half the current that it does when pushing 6 volts. There are threads covering the 6-12V conversion; many options with +/- for each.
bajadave66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KTPhil, I think I got someone already aligned for the 12 volt conversion.
I was just wondering if anybody knew of some who was experienced in rebuilding VW engines in the Ventura county area, since Steve no longer works in Ventura, CA. Very Happy I would like to find someone who can do both since the flywheel and starter needs to be changed out at the same time.
I'm going to look up steering column ignition switches here and Ebay to get a price idea. Then go to Roscoes to se what he has in stock.
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch? Reply with quote

HRVW wrote:
Smile The ignition switch on the steering column means it was a imported car. Someone bought it from EU to the US. They (VW) started the steering column ignition switch in 1959-60 as I did see one in the mid 1960's.

VW did a lot of things to their cars in EU but not to the US mkt.

Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

locking column was an accesory that could be ordered in usa. this means you are so close to being correct that you are more wrong than correct.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

here is a 1963 deluxe with locking column from factory.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
"Camping is cheaper than therapy"
www.sv2s.com
www.steeringboxscrapers.net
SBS #100
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=453617
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't profess to know it all and will never argue with anyone only discuss what I have seen and experienced. A steering wheel lock is a factory assembly item and not an accessory.

Some items were on a order basis and not standard on every car shipped to the US from germany. A person in the military has been known to buy a VW before returning back to the US same with purchasing here via the dlr and picking it up at the factory...driving as tourists and then bringing it back here.

As for the OP it has been a while for me so you might try Larrys Bugrunner in Saticoy 805 656 2525 or talk to Dan at Roscoes..he knows who would be best for you in that area. There was a shop near the navy base on Pleasant Valley Rd...never had any dealings with them. Vick from Import Express is no longer there either. Time does change things.

Side note... my parts books do not show any steering wheel locks for any of the early bugs..... only from 1968 on...maybe it's a misprint.... don't think so.

Steve
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HRVW wrote:
Don't profess to know it all and will never argue with anyone only discuss what I have seen and experienced. A steering wheel lock is a factory assembly item and not an accessory.

Some items were on a order basis and not standard on every car shipped to the US from germany. A person in the military has been known to buy a VW before returning back to the US same with purchasing here via the dlr and picking it up at the factory...driving as tourists and then bringing it back here.

As for the OP it has been a while for me so you might try Larrys Bugrunner in Saticoy 805 656 2525 or talk to Dan at Roscoes..he knows who would be best for you in that area. There was a shop near the navy base on Pleasant Valley Rd...never had any dealings with them. Vick from Import Express is no longer there either. Time does change things.

Side note... my parts books do not show any steering wheel locks for any of the early bugs..... only from 1968 on...maybe it's a misprint.... don't think so.

Steve

here is literature for Service Installation of steering column lock/ignition switch. Do you know definition of "Service Installation"??? this is 1960 edition. Shocked

1965 panel bus-Kermit
www.sv2s.com
SBS #100
ilustr8tor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro bugs had the following steering lock in 65:

HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised Surprised Surprised Well we do learn don't we and I'm NO exception at my late tender yrs.

Did notice the 1960 date so am correct in seeing a 59 or 60 bug with the steering lock.

Being an accessory item my catalog OEM parts book do not show the locks even tho a VW # is listed. Oh well...can't win them all.

Steve
bill may
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilustr8tor wrote:
Euro bugs had the following steering lock in 65:

1961-1966 if it had lettering around key hole. also 1967 only if no lettering. my 1960 original delivery to Berlin Germany did not have the locking column/ignition switch,so it dispelled all european delivery had stock/came with locking column electrical switch.

1965 panel bus-Kermit
www.sv2s.com
SBS #100
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you shouldnt argue with the man. He's almost always right.

Any vw could be ordered with a locking column. I've had both styles shown above, in USA and non-USA form. I've had them in buses, and I've seen them in Ghia's, again, both USA and non-USA. I've even had euro cars without them.
bajadave66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for responding. It looks like the picture that Bill put up, but it has no numbers on the key outer ring so it must be a late 66. It has three wires that are cut from the back. It still serves a purpose, it still locks the steering column but it’s a different key then my ignition key on the dash. Should I change it back to original or should I just take it off and have a non-locking column and keep my dash switch?
I took some pictures
[/img]

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: