Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear air scoop covers?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Rear air scoop covers? Reply with quote

Where I live they put so much salt on the roads in the winter there is no way I'm driving my buses on it. Unfortunately I don't have a garage to store my buses in either. For the past couple of years I have been using magnets and plastic to cover the rear air scoops so that leaves, snow, and rain don't end up in my engine compartment. It works but it's kind of a pain in the butt, looks like crap, and some times it blows off anyways.

So, I am wondering if anyone knows if anybody makes magnetic covers for the rear air scoops? If not, could someone please manufacter some and let me know? Thanks!

Long live our buses!
greenbus pilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......sooo, you want to keep out the rain and snow, WHILE ITS PARKED, correct? OK, but how does all the salt get into the rain and snow that gets in while it is parked?
While driving, I would never block those vents. Cover them while parked, but driving in winter produces salt effects. It gets EVERYWHERE.
I know these things.....how does the salt get into the air while your Bus is parked, thereby necessitating covers at that time? Seems you are only gonna get salt as you drive....unless the salting is done aerially where you live- Im just sayin'.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

please look thru classifieds. VW made covers like you describe and they come up for sale once in awhile.
Shahn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't going to drive it because of the salt(I wouldn't either). Why not just get a full body cover for the bus? You'll use it every year and I would think that would protect it even more.
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
.......sooo, you want to keep out the rain and snow, WHILE ITS PARKED, correct? OK, but how does all the salt get into the rain and snow that gets in while it is parked?
While driving, I would never block those vents. Cover them while parked, but driving in winter produces salt effects. It gets EVERYWHERE.
I know these things.....how does the salt get into the air while your Bus is parked, thereby necessitating covers at that time? Seems you are only gonna get salt as you drive....unless the salting is done aerially where you live- Im just sayin'.

The salty roads really have nothing to do with the question. It is just the reason my buses have to sit out in the elements for two or three months. During this time I don't want the rain, snow, and other blowing debris in my engine compartment. I like a clean engine compartment. Very Happy Of course it wouldn't be a good idea to drive with them on.

Quote:
please look thru classifieds. VW made covers like you describe and they come up for sale once in awhile.

Thanks! That is great news!
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you aren't going to drive it because of the salt(I wouldn't either). Why not just get a full body cover for the bus? You'll use it every year and I would think that would protect it even more.

Good question. Because I'm thinking covers just for the air scoops would be cheaper. I also wonder about the condensation buildup underneath the covers? I would rather the sun keep everything dry.
Shahn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gratefulbuses wrote:
Quote:

Good question. Because I'm thinking covers just for the air scoops would be cheaper. I also wonder about the condensation buildup underneath the covers? I would rather the sun keep everything dry.

Good point about the condensation. I know when they cover boats with plastic for the winter they build a frame around it for just this reason. I've considered getting one for my Vanagon and I've thought about this but not come up with an answer that I'm satisfied with.

Anyone around here have experience with full bus covers and how well they actually protect it, or not?
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seasonal fabric covers on a vehicle is a BAD idea...Every time the wind blows your paint is getting buffed and not eavenly...I have seen several cars in florida ruined because someone thought it would be a good idea to leave a cover on when they went away for the hot summer...Another NO_NO is towing a vehicle with a cover on it...BAD buff job.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
gratefulbuses
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wonder how well those full covers hold up in the winds? Where I live we get 40 mph gusts frequently.
chazz79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy some thick foam sheeting insulation board, bond it to be @3" thick. Cut out the vent slots and make plugs like the "remove before flight" deals they have on jets.

simular to this

http://www.sportys.com/source/images/products/large/12002.jpg

The green monster in bits and peices: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=332556&highlight=green+monster
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^X2^, or for the less crafty or inspired zip tie a couple of pieces of Coroplast over them (it's the plastic corrugated sign board that gas stations throw out every few weeks), poke 2 holes above each other and pass the tie around one of the bars in the scoop, repeat as necessary. Or broom clips from Home depot screwed or pop riveted to the back of thin plywood.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand your concern for moisture under a cover but I think you'd accomplish more and risk less by purchasing a quality cover.

I had a 1967 Cadillac ambulance shrink wrapped once for the winter. On boats, they use wood to build a skeleton over/around the boat to allow airflow. I used foam pipe insulation between the body and the cover. It worked GREAT. No moisture issues when spring came, and no marks on the car.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: