Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Operation X Volksrod
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Budget....how i know thee well... considering my fastback project has a budget close to nothing i do in fact know budgets very well. you will notice eventually though when you get on your motor hard it will have more of a tendency to lose belts.... its amazing how much more power is on tap with that belt being gone. makes me wonder if a gear driven setup like those that were on the flat 12 917 motors would be viable

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a brake upgrade on the chasis? Sounds like your gonna need it
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope... I am not upgrading the brakes during the process. Stock VW brakes can handle what I will be using it for.

I asked Glenn to move this to Readers Rides so I can move on to a build thread with pics.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CMD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Corvair Powered VW Bug Reply with quote

I built a bunch of these " back in the day " For those too young to know; all that was available were 36 and 40 horsepower engines and the VW speed part industry was in its infancy. The Corvair engine made a viable alternative. The 140, four carb engine with a Corvair turbo adapted to it made impressive power, for the time.
Here's a few photos of some of my old cars, street and strip and more can be found here:http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v385/CMD/
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good luck with your project! Very Happy

CMD
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the some of the ones on Volksrods.com Speak to the hand Wait Think your user "CMD" on there too.... right? Those ARE the ones. Laughing

I had added to that Corvair post on that site as well a few months ago. Nothing wrong with a little research in my opinion. Trying to cover my bases.
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Pulled the flat 6 beast out of storage last night. Fired it up on the floor. VAAAAROOOMMM. Twisted Evil
Usually and often edited
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the deck lid would have closed on the orange one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scored a 4 barrel 4 runner intake, Holley 4160 carb and air cleaner. I'll see if it runs better on one 4 barrel rather than 4 carbs. It will at least be easier to keep tuned and running, but wont look as cool. Cool
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
CMD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Looks like the some of the ones on Volksrods.com Speak to the hand Wait Think your user "CMD" on there too.... right? Those ARE the ones. Laughing

I had added to that Corvair post on that site as well a few months ago. Nothing wrong with a little research in my opinion. Trying to cover my bases.

OOPS! Embarassed Yeah...that's me. I went back and read the posts. In my defense; I can't remember this morning!! Laughing Don't get old!
Since you have the parts; it will be a cheap way to make more power, but there are many more modern options available, including VW power. " Back in the day " we were limited in choices and it made more sense. If you have a heavy foot; the transaxle will be the first casualty. Today you can buy stronger parts than those I had available.Clark's Corvair should have any engine parts you might need. I still have, and like, these engines and I'm in the process of building a rear engine dragster with a vortech supercharger, fuel injection, and a Powerglide.I need to get rid of these leftover parts somehow! Don't worry about the purists and naysayers; I've been pissing them off all my life, currently with two V-8 Bugs! One is a 1950 Splitwindow Laughing
If I can help with your project; E/mail me.
CMD
zombie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own both a bug and a corvair so I'm stoked to see this.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received the 4 barell set up. What a score. The carb looked brand new inside and out. In fact it looked like it was never used. No gas residue in the bowls at all. I only had to replace the 4 plenum boots for the runners, and used silicon so now no more worries.

Pulled the 4 Rochesters and progressive linkage off.
Mounted the intake, carb and cleaner.
Added fuel and ignition

Rolled it over ...on a dolly
CONTACT.
NIGHT AND DAY difference. Cylinder firing is more even now, still pretty lumpy at idle, but it runs very smooth off idle and seems more responsive than the original set up ever was. It dont look as cool, but I'll take performance over looks on this one. It will probably create more decklid clearence problems to deal with, but its worth it so far.

Man I am ready to get started on the body, but it wil have to wait a little while. Sad
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one was posted in the abortions thread.......
http://s220.photobucket.com/albums/dd122/whispering_willo/?action=view&current=29d57dfa.pbw
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too bad. I see someone used 2 decklids to help hide.
Thats all most what I have in mind.
Usually and often edited
JasonBaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the video, it says,"All orginal dash" Then the next image show a cd player in the dash. That slide show is too slow.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decisions.... decisions....decisions....

Full body or just go the Volksrod chop top fenderless route.....
Hmmmmm. Both are appealing to me Twisted Evil
Usually and often edited
hedgehog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Decisions.... decisions....decisions....

Full body or just go the Volksrod chop top fenderless route.....
Hmmmmm. Both are appealing to me Twisted Evil

One vote for volksrod. Wink

It would dip into that damn budget thing a bit to do it right though. You would have to go the beam extender route IMO, which would cost a few bucks. But, since you would be venturing far from stock at that point, it would leave the cosmetics even more wide open to your interpretation.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can build my own extender. Thats no big deal at all, and still beable to keep the budget. No way Id EVER pay the ridiculous amount those things are going for. I have PLENTY of parts.
Honestly a Volksrod was my first thought when planning this out. It really would fit the personality of the engine.
Plus I could work around the decklid and apron issue real easy.

I personally think that when a real Hot Rod (any Rod) is built its an art, and open to the builders imagination.
Usually and often edited
hedgehog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
I can build my own extender. Thats no big deal at all, and still beable to keep the budget. No way Id EVER pay the ridiculous amount those things are going for. I have PLENTY of parts.
Honestly a Volksrod was my first thought when planning this out. It really would fit the personality of the engine.
Plus I could work around the decklid and apron issue real easy.

I personally think that when a real Hot Rod (any Rod) is built its an art, and open to the builders imagination.

Good deal on the extender. I agree 100% on a volksrod fitting the personality of the engine and it would pretty much eliminate the decklid/apron issue, like you said.

So...have you started choppin' yet? Laughing

Anxious to see this one take shape! Good luck.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hedgehog wrote:

So...have you started choppin' yet? Laughing

Anxious to see this one take shape! Good luck.

Well no, I had some (cough gag) requested "home things" that had been put off while I was building the last project (67 Blue Bomber Beetle). That worked out good as it was pretty hot here in NC over the summer. The shop is full so this will have to be a pull in and out project. So fall/winter/spring works the best for me. I was trying to sell a 67 Convertible to help fund. Sad to say its has degressed into parting out.
So almost ready to start chopin' . Engines nearly ready. Now just need to move toward swapping a 65 pan over and the stuff that goes along with it.
If it goes the Volksrod route....which is likely, then a chopped top will be in the future. Twisted Evil.
I All most....alll most.... hate to chop up an early 67 Sedan body, Wink but I gots to do what I gots to do. I have built many VW's. I'm ready for something different.
As soon as it officially starts...pictures will follow. I hope nothing else gets in my way.
Usually and often edited
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't chop a top just to be different... they never look good.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 44

Jump to: