Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Operation X Volksrod
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

New VW project in the works for me the next year. It wlll be called "Operation X".
I aquired a running 65 Corvair 4 carb 140 engine a few years ago. It is all ready reverse rotation, lumpy cam'd, with the VW transaxle adapter, and flywheel, so it's just waiting on me. I have a decent "early" 67 Beetle body soon to be placed on a 65 pan, and it's to be as light as possible. SHHHHHH dont tell the 67 purist. Speak to the hand A "sleeper" version.....somewhat. I am building this on a very VERY low budget, with parts left over from junkers and other projects, so big money parts is only as a neccesity. "One piece at a time". Hey that might make a good song. Laughing

I know I will be stressing the transaxle, and have been told it should be fine as long as I dont "dump the clutch" or try a "burn out". I know myself and my history with Hot Rods....sooooo that's probably in the future. I dont want to be pulling the transaxle after every run or drive.

What should I consider installing in a Beetle transaxle to help the extra stress.
My guess would be a stonger differential carrier is a must. Is there anything else to consder to be on the top of the list.
I dont plan to abuse this, but it will see an occasional blast down the strip.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:47 am; edited 10 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mooosman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long is the Corvair engine from end to end? It's probably too long for the beetle engine bay... Confused
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its tight and yes it will require mods and cuts to the body sheet metal, but it fits. I may have to move the oil filter, and of course adjust the apron to fit. Probably build a custom apron, and maybe use some stand offs. I'll judge that once it's fully in place. I'm NOT going for a stock looking Beetle anyway. I NEVER do.

I'm going for a nostalgic look and sound with an interseting powertrain that was popular in the era of the car. Good conversation piece at events I really could care less about engine bay aesthetics. Confused
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Sun May 29, 2011 9:37 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1915 makes more power than a 4-carb Corvair does, I wouldn't worry about the trans.

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

I just wanted to bitch but I'm getting no sympathy.

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? Do you run a stock swing axle transaxle and occasionally abuse it off the line?
Consider the Corvair engine is heavier....longer... and has a displacement of 2.7L. Good torque down low.

I love VW's and really would rather have a large displacement VW engine...but again it's a very low budget, using what I got in stock at no extra cost.
The Corvair engine looks and sounds pissed off just sitting on the ground. Twisted Evil I gotta use it, just because you dont see that conversion much anymore.
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Mon May 30, 2011 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
MinamiKotaro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dad's got a 4-carb 140 Corvair in his '72 Super. Had to eliminate the rear apron and it still sticks out pretty far.

At least get a 4-spider diff for your trans. A stock 1600 can waste a stock diff after a couple of hard launches.
Check out my ongoing story.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MinamiKotaro wrote:
At least get a 4-spider diff for your trans. A stock 1600 can waste a stock diff after a couple of hard launches.

Yep my thoughts exactly.
Usually and often edited
volken65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should get a modified generator mount for remote oil filter system. That'll help fit it under the hood better.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the measurements the Generator is not an issue under the lid. (I may be wrong). It may be close. If I have to ad stand offs I will as a last resort. I will cut the upper portions out of the apron leaving only enough area to catch the edge and lower tear drop of the 66 louvered decklid I am using. The oil filter will most likely interfere with the apron, so I may change it to a remote. Time will tell.
I am not concerned at all about fitting. I can make it work. It will be a few months before I can actually start wrenching on it. Ill update and keep this going a long the way. I wanted to hear the thoughts on the transaxle mainly.
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Mon May 30, 2011 10:59 am; edited 2 times in total
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Really? Do you run a stock swing axle transaxle and occasionally abuse it off the line?

Yes, and I abuse it off every line. Cool

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago someone made an engine cover for that conversion. It was called the Bustle-Bomb IIRC. You might try running an ad in the classifieds and see if anyone comes up with one for your car.

I love the old Corvairs nearly as much as I love the ACVWs. I had a few of them - my favorite was a 65 with the 140 motor. It was fast! Don't be too tempted to change out the 4 carbs for something centered like the 390 4 barrel Holley. Not that it doesn't work great but if you live in an area where it gets cold and rainy you'll have carb icing. There is no way to get heat into the manifold other than routing air off the motor to heat the air intake - not the best solution. There is a way to mount a pair of 3 throat Weber carbs on the Corvair motor if you are willing to hack the intake manifold up but thats part of the head - screw that up and you scrap an expensive head.

Here's an article about the Crown conversion:

http://www.beachbuggyclub.com/article.php?article_id=5

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they make an adapter to run dual webers on a 140 vair motor, I was very tempted to that on my homegirls covair engine i just built. She has a 66 4 door vair Very Happy but decided she would get into trouble with that much power, so i put 110 heads on a 140 block with stock dual carbs and called it good. runs great but i can only imagine what the 140 heads with 44 webers would have done... it already has a corsa 4- speed tranny
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 140 motor was identical to the 110 motor - same cam etc - just add the 140 heads and you have a 140. Both are 164 cubic inch. The 140 heads added the two secondary carbs plus the larger valves for another 30 hp.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
miniman82
Samba Swamp Donkey

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PG equipped cars had a different camshaft, giving slightly more HP. Swap a PG cam into a stick, instant upgrade! Course if you're gonna change the cam, why not spring for an Isky 280 right?

I redid my 180 turbo motor a year or so back, did bearings, Isky turbo grind cam, new springs, new turbo, open exhaust and a crank trigger ignition. With a stock carb it was way faster than guys with q-jets, though the q-jet may be another bone of contention...

Glenn wrote:
satterley_sr wrote:

Welcome to the Samba.
BugMan114
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done plenty of burnouts on my stock tranny with my stroker motor, and several hard launches, and i haven't had any problems yet. Not sayin its going to last forever, but at the same time, stock tranny's are a lot stronger then most people give them credit for. I do run solid mounts, which seems to eliminate damaging wheel hop (no

In my opinion, if you are going to drive it daily, with the occasional burnout, or hard launch, i'd say a stock tranny will do for a while, especially if your on a budget, like 99% of the people on this site (not like the 1% who tell you to just order a $4K rancho trans, lol) Laughing
1960 Baja Bug
1969 Baja Bug
Sand Rail- Homemade
Sand Rail- FUBAR

Aircooled Airheads

Why the hell do they call it a gland nut. its obviously a big fat bolt!!!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as the cam.. I know its not original as it's reverse rotated, and judging by the overlap at idle, its a lumpy grind.

I was actually fortunate to talk to the wife of the engine/car bulider. She knew quite a bit, and said her husband (now deceased) had built it from scratch. She knew about it being reversed, with a mild cam grind as well as a fast powerplant for the Dune Buggy I had purchased. She said in the 70's it was the fastest Buggy in her area.

Budget yes low budget.
The most I'd probably go for is a super diff, but I may just wait to see how long a stock one lasts. Like I said I have plenty of swing axles.
Solid mounts will be a definite, plus an added support at the rear to hold that flat 6 monster in place.
Usually and often edited
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

be prepared to flip the ring gear on the diff. my dad had a turbo vair with a foot and a half cut out the middle and welded back together. he said the car liked to snap stub axles. and in true 70's fashion it had a dragon painted on the hood with flames going down the nose and around the sides... and on the back painted in gold leaf was "the nothing" thats as close to volkswagens as my dad ever got.... lol

-Trevor

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again for the nose bleed seats. Laughing

My engine is converted to reverse rotation.
No ring gear flip is required.
It spins the same diection as a VW engine now.
Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Mon May 30, 2011 11:03 am; edited 2 times in total
VWporscheGT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont get your panties in a twist Laughing not everyone is as keenly attentive as you are Rolling Eyes

I like being wrong, Because, it is another opportunity to learn. If you stop learning from your mistakes than what is the point?

If you have any questions about Forged ICON 4032 VW pistons just shoot me a line.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 44

Jump to: