Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Operation X Volksrod
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

Im looking into plastidip for Operation X.. maybe put a fresh bowtie on an old turd... Laughing

vaughn bros. wrote:
The Vaughn's are Still watching.

Thanks guys... ..

I sure love where yours is headed... Wink
Stick to it.. .

Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:
Im looking into plastidip for Operation X.. maybe put a fresh bowtie on an old turd... Laughing

Plastidip is the temporary tattoo of the automotive world Laughing , it works great, if you get bored of it, just peel it off. Just like regular paint, the brighter colors will tend to fade quicker, the neon colors & reds are especially guilty of this.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

Plastidip is the temporary tattoo of the automotive world Laughing ,.

Yep... Perfect... and .. its cheap.. Wink

I'll have to mix my own blend of color.. but.. it's doable..

WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

I'll have to mix my own blend of color.

Maybe not, check out "dipyourcar.com"

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

Hmmmm.. they have a nice variety. Thanks.

Usually and often edited
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

sigh... Happy Friday 13th..

Shit.. nuff said..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Usually and often edited
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

Hmmm 😒
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

Have you just laid down, given all care to the wind, and started watching the clouds roll by? 😀
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

Funny thing.. life is.. Laughing

So.. bought a windshield last year... had it cut .. it cracked at the top center during cutting.. but it was under the seal so.. didnt bother me...

Had to tend to the home longer than expected.. to get some things semi completed.. still have more to go..

I actually started to put the windshield in in a few weeks ago.. and it cracked further .. right down the middle Confused :2gunfire:

Plans are.. get another soon .. and try again...

My job is in the middle of a major change.. .. basically.. after 17 years .. with my current employer.. they have suddenly ( like in the last week) decided not to continue to sell GM vehicles.. Which basically means to me.. .,.. no support from GM on the service side anymore and that also means all the free warranty stuff will go elsewhere.. It will cut my pay by 3/4 .. not good.
After 25 years of practicing auto mechanics with one manufacturer it has put a little tilt in my mental system.. I have offers coming in left and right as good seasoned trained techs are not easy to find.. So that simply means... the brown car is not top priority..

If I happen to call it quits... Ill have some down time to regroup.. Wink

All is good.. I am actually quite calm about the whole thing.... it is out of my hands.. I feel my calmness rather than the typical panic mode means.. something brighter awaits me in the future..

Plus.. in the middle of every thing else.. I've been working on this in my spare time, what little there is, with my Pop Wink

The Whinder Binder

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQooZf2woOg7kKdGwzHm9qPRByLhrDbNh

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Usually and often edited
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

Three replacement windshields ruined now... Mad

Thinking..... just try to just cut one myself..

Usually and often edited
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

Dam! Shocked
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:
Dam! Shocked

Exactly..

Just back from Albany New York..from a Thanksgiving trip..
24 inches of snow in 36 hours left us with a flight cancelled on Sunday..but gave us a couple extra days with our son... Dancing
Only had to chisel out a few cars.. Laughing

I'm picking up another windshield tommorow.... plan to just give it a go myself.

I've cut glass before...and have had positive results...

Crossing my fingers ...once more and done.

Usually and often edited
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

I saw on the news about the snow and cancelled flights. There were many angry travelers.
Practice on some old windshields. I hear scalloped cuts to the outsides at the curves but never tried that method myself, only saw it on YouTube. I went over to HAMB and read some testimonials. Sandblasting at an angle towards outside as to not blow between laminate.
Worst case, 6mm lexan.
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:
I saw on the news about the snow and cancelled flights. There were many angry travelers.
Practice on some old windshields. I hear scalloped cuts to the outsides at the curves but never tried that method myself, only saw it on YouTube. I went over to HAMB and read some testimonials. Sandblasting at an angle towards outside as to not blow between laminate.
Worst case, 6mm lexan.

We were literally the last flight attempt out. Flight canceled sitting on the runway while tried to D ice. The snow was coming down so hard I could not even see the wing of the plane. I had actually a moment of thought of running down the aisle screaming as to cause a TSA shown on the news event. Then reality set in hahaha
Personally I was not mad I was very thankful a smart decision was made.
We rented a car and drove ssslllloooowwwlly back to our son's apartment where we calmly made a decision as to when to leave. The airport was way too chaotic to consider a rash quick decision.
My son is actually working towards his doctorate in meteorology and climatology and told us 2 days prior that this was to be a major record event. We tried to get a red eye out earlier, however as you can imagine it was a failed attempt
My wife and I are fortunate that we have understanding careers..... Most of the time hahaha.
Speaking of that career bulshit... I started a new job... same career in October. 18 years loyalty and hard work prior at the same place down the drain. Starting fresh....with over 25 years experience with the same GM product should yield a positive result.
I was literally nauseous as they loaded my wall hog toolbox to move it.

Frankly... at this point in my life I could give two shits about my job.. there are more important things that need to be considered

As far as the windshield I really want glass however have already considered lexan as an interim alternative.

That being said I picked up the tinted windshield today..... I definitely planned on some practicing prior...... Wish me luck. Laughing

P. S.
I did happened to watch a few glass cutting videos and do some research while cooped up in NooYawk...

Usually and often edited

Last edited by VOLKSWAGNUT on Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

I saw one of the old skool guys use a glass cutter to scribe a line on either side of the windshield & then pour alcohol on the windshield & then light it. It thermally bisected the glass in a few seconds & they then used a razor blade to cut the plastic layer.

VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
VOLKSWAGNUT wrote:

I saw one of the old skool guys use a glass cutter to scribe a line on either side of the windshield & then pour alcohol on the windshield & then light it. It thermally bisected the glass in a few seconds & they then used a razor blade to cut the plastic layer.

Yep. That's the plan.

I watched a video with a similar method on a 57 Chevy windshield which has WAY more curve to it.

Usually and often edited
Yama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

[quote="VOLKSWAGNUT"]New VW project in the works for me the next year. It wlll be called "Operation X".
I aquired a running 65 Corvair 4 carb 140 engine a few years ago. It is all ready reverse rotation, lumpy cam'd, with the VW transaxle adapter, and flywheel, so it's just waiting on me. I have a decent "early" 67 Beetle body soon to be placed on a 65 pan, and it's to be as light as possible. SHHHHHH dont tell the 67 purist. Speak to the hand A "sleeper" version.....somewhat. I am building this on a very VERY low budget, with parts left over from junkers and other projects, so big money parts is only as a neccesity. "One piece at a time". Hey that might make a good song. Laughing

I know I will be stressing the transaxle, and have been told it should be fine as long as I dont "dump the clutch" or try a "burn out". I know myself and my history with Hot Rods....sooooo that's probably in the future. I dont want to be pulling the transaxle after every run or drive.

What should I consider installing in a Beetle transaxle to help the extra stress.
My guess would be a stonger differential carrier is a must. Is there anything else to consder to be on the top of the list.
I dont plan to abuse this, but it will see an occasional blast down the strip.[/quote.

Hi. I'm Yama, a new member. Too bad I didnt find this forum years ago. In 1983 I built a 1955 VW Bug and installed a 140hp Corvair engine into it. Parts were cheap back then. I bought the Bug minus engine for $70. The 110hp engine in the '66 Corvair had 26,000 miles, and I bought it for $110. Months later, I bought 140hp heads, carbs and air cleaner for $100. I found a used Crown Mfg adaptor and flywheel for less than $100, plus extra for a KEP-1700 clutch I had a 66 VW trans rebuilt with HD side cover, extra spiders and 1.48/1.14 gears. And they reversed the ring gear.

Last edited by Yama on Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Yama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

Back then, there were no disc brakes for kingpin suspesions, so I installed humungous Porsche 356A finned drum brakes front and rear.

For starters, the Crown kit had an offset brass bushing [I reamed the tranny's axle starter hole, then cut the nose off the Corvair starter, installed a special mounting bracket and bolted it onto the tranny(It worked flawlessly).

I also bought HP parts from Otto Parts, like 3-tube headers, oversize pistons, aluminum oil pan and valve covers, street cam, lifters, etc. And a oil bypass adaptor that bolted onto where the OEM filter fit. That way, I ran the stock cooler, a V8-size oil filter and a 6-pass aftermarket oil cooler.

I bought a VolksVair fiberglas hood, which hid the oversized engine well. However, I had to cut a horizontal hole the size of a large burrito in its center. That way, the 14"x3" air cleaner could fit the carb.

I didn't like that the #1 carb sat too close to the body, so I bought a used Ieco 4-tubed intake and Carter 600cfm carb for $60. Then I bought a new Holley 390cfm carb for $90(I just LOVED how the secondaries opened up on the freeway in 4th gear.

I also chromed the fan shroud. The engine looked clean and shiny, with a V8 chrome air cleaner, chrome intake tubes and chrome fan shroud!
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

Yama, very interesting, and welcome. Vintage Corvair rules.
Yama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Operation X Volksrod Reply with quote

Thanks. If I had to do it again, I would've kept the 110hp engine stock and put it into my '68 van.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43, 44  Next
Jump to:
Page 42 of 44

Jump to: