Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 877 Kommanduerwagen
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ninamashr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Great pics!

I find it even more curious that there doesn't seem to be anything to support the shear force along the face of the flange. Unless the bolt bore clearances are very tight, the diff would want to slip upward on the flange when the beam is loaded. I don't think I see any kind of lip on the tunnel flange to support this.

I agree there is allot of shear force along that flange. Did you notice the counter bores around each bolt hole? Maybe the tunnel flange has projections around each bolt hole that fit into these counter bores -or- there is a small sleeve that fits around each bolt and it's installed between the 2 flanges?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ninamashr wrote:

I agree there is allot of shear force along that flange. Did you notice the counter bores around each bolt hole? Maybe the tunnel flange has projections around each bolt hole that fit into these counter bores -or- there is a small sleeve that fits around each bolt and it's installed between the 2 flanges?

Can't see any projections in the tunnel pic, but it is not that detailed. That would be very plausible and make for a very good design.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kapt. Q
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the counter bores in the flange are for rubber inserts that are part of the sealing gasket that, I think, may actually allow tiny movement , I'm not sure on this, I suppose that might relieves stress, takes some impact forces out. If you look at the above photo you will see two little holes for locating pins in the mating flange.
As for the 'thats why they made so few', nonsense, they made over 15,000 166's, the most mass produced amphibious car to date! They produced a few hundred of the 87/7's, production being limited due to time and materials I think.
I don't think there was any revision in this casting since the 128/166's introduction so I doubt there was any weakness, my casting has a 41 part#, not the date of manufacture, but design date, It is an original not a reproduction, not sure you can get a reproduction of the main part the differential goes in, you can get one of the front cover that connects to the axle beams, the part you can see with the six bolt heads in.
Don't forget that the suspension absorbs many loads, forces (whatever) before they ever get transmitted to the diff casing, etc.
The casing is iron/steel? and about 17kg, that's with out the side covers, another fair few kilo's there too.
OUB, you are right this is a 166 casing, in what ways are the 87/7 casing different? I know the speedometer cable comes out at 90 degrees instead of 180 but was unaware of any other difference, it would be intresting to know. The differences in the transfer box are very apparent in your photo's and I was unaware of them. How did you get the information and parts to make your 87/7 replica?

Last edited by Kapt. Q on Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:45 am; edited 4 times in total
Kapt. Q
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the 166 frame
Rich's 50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy ^^^^^^
anmilsurp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a picture of an original type 877 differential

from here
http://superbeetle.kaeferpiloten.de/bilder/index.p...amp;page=3
Kapt. Q
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anmilsurp wrote:
Found a picture of an original type 877 differential

from here
http://superbeetle.kaeferpiloten.de/bilder/index.p...amp;page=3

Nice picture, it's the Porsche museum in Gmund, this is displayed next to a complete one, this one is a total waste of parts in my opinion, finish it! Then use it!
It appears to be a different casting than my 166, it's missing the VW logo and the strengthening web ilooks different to.
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 877 Kommanduerwagen Reply with quote

Digging up an old thread but any progress on the 20yr build?

And who's goin to reproduce these?? Love to have something like this in Australia..
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 877 Kommanduerwagen Reply with quote

I thought you guys might enjoy this. Although its a Czech web no words needed for the pics
http://auto.idnes.cz/kdf-60l-cah-/auto_ojetiny.aspx?c=A151006_231247_auto_ojetiny_LHR
vwhelmot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Type 877 Kommanduerwagen Reply with quote

Stunning
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: