Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bumper bracket dimentions...more custom bumper questions
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject: Bumper bracket dimentions...more custom bumper questions Reply with quote

Bumper bracket dimensions...more custom bumper questions:

What is the width of the bumper brackets, has anybody measured?

I lifted this pic from GoWesty, so forgive the highjack:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j_dirge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easiest thing to do is unfasten the 4 bolts that attaches your bumper brackets to the frame member and take the measurements first hand.
(f/g bumprs have two additioal attachments along the leading edge of the end caps)

If fabbing something yourself, its best to get those measurements directly.. and it only takes a few minute to pull that bumper.

You can also estimate the dimensions by crawling under neath and taking a tap between the out edges of those two frame members. Subtact 1/4" for 2x the frame member thickness... the bracket mount to the outside wall of the frame member.

-57 pan f/g buggy with a 67 pancake Type 3 "S"
"Jimi Hendrix owned one. Richard Nixon did not"
-Grand Tour, Season 1, episodes 4 and 5

danfromsyr wrote:
those are straight line runs with light weight race cars for only 1/4mile at a time..
not pushing a loaded brick up a mountain pass with a family of 4+ inside expecting to have an event free vacation..
SloFloSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are looking for the dimensions between the brackets, or specifically how wide the GW bracket plate is?
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either.

The subtitle to this thread should be wyomingresident learns how to weld, maybe.

I'm not too drafty but am looking at designing my own bumper. I've found plenty of design/build welding shops online that will weld something up, even off of (my) pretty crude drawings/design.

Just a basic search on "vanagon bumper dimensions" gets some really neat results. I found a guy who had put his whole technical drawings up on the net for his custom welded Vanagon bumper, but lost the link.

I used to work on a few different ranches here in Wyoming and welding is a skill that separates the men from the boys. A friend who is head maintenance guy for an operation in Moose, WY says he'll teach me to weld. I've seen plenty of ranch welds last forever under brutal conditions, so hopefully I can weld my own bumper. I want to manufacture something light and strong. If I can cut labor out of the equation, I'm flexible on costs.

I've posted on here about building an aluminum bumper, but building that is out of my league, that's something I'd send out over the net.

Being that the finest form of flattery is imitation, I was hoping somebody had gathered some better measurements than I probably would.
Rocky Mountain Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wyomingresident wrote:
I want to manufacture something light and strong. If I can cut labor out of the equation, I'm flexible on costs.

I think the span between the frame mounts is 43" and change. I would get a measurement for yourself.

So how light is "light" and how strong is "strong".

Let's start with weight. I am assuming your talking about a front bumper because your Aluminum bumper thread showed front bumper pics. So how much weight are you allowing for a front bumper? How tall do you want it? Above the Headlights? Middle of the top grill? Tube or Plate? Winch or receiver?

I would have the same rear bumper questions. Total weight your willing to hang off the van? Rear receiver with what purpose? Tube or Plate? I would make new frame mounts if you want some thing Heavy duty.

I have built a lot of front bumpers and I have learned a lot about what works and what doesn't. I am happy to brainstorm and help try and save some brain damage. I have found out that your two desires of "light and strong" are really hard to achieve. Our Twin Peaks bumpers I think are a good combination although they are not super light although they are fairly strong. Our Pikes Peak bumpers are stronger but a bit heavier. We are on a Front Pikes Peak redsign right now and it is looking sweet.

Anyway, like I said I am happy to help answer questions. I would say this, building your own bumpers that will look good and work well is no small undertaking. I would figure about 75 hours of your time to get the " WOW that is Awesome" result.
[email protected]

The Splitzgauer build (when I have time to work on it and update the thread)

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497133
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wyomingresident
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RMW: Your bumpers look great. That's definitely what I'm looking for. If I can't end up building something it's what I'd get. It just boils down to costs.

Insofar as weight and strength are concerned, I can speak of bicycle parts: They can be cheap, light or strong. You get to pick two attributes. Not three, just two.

I'm hoping my custom bumper will fall nicely among the above characteristics. Besides, if I can really learn to weld- what a great skill to know.

I've been cycling for a long time and it cab be said that women and bicycle parts are similar in that they both share three attributes each.

Bike Parts: Cheap, Light and Strong (pick two)

Women: Attractive, Sane or Available (pick two)

Bumpers???: Strong, Cool or Light (I want all three)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: