Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing cigarette lighter receptacle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iliketowalk wrote:
Just installed two of these: http://www.amazon.com/Marinco-12V-Receptacle-Blk-P...mp;sr=8-11 -- $15

Ditto (a couple of months ago). My van already had one in the kitchen; now it has a matching pair with one in the dash. Accessory plugs actually stay in place for a change.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SloFloSyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purchased the version with lighted ring from GW, used Snowesty's method for removal of old, installed new connectors, then slipped the unit in, all without removing either the glovebox or ashtray. Wife wil definitely appreciate this litte upgrade!
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I highly recommend the Marinco units!
SteelB12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled my dash to replace the fan and now I can't figure out which wires go to the cigarette lighter plug.

Can anyone give me a hand? The Bentley just isn't doing it for me

EDIT: Never mind. I figured it out. DOH!

87 Westy Manual

Last edited by SteelB12 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Sam wrote:
I grabbed a couple of these with the last gowesty order:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4482&category_id=&category_parent_id=

You used to see lots of "surface mount" 12V outlets, not so much anymore, I searched around online quite a bit looking for a cheaper alternative but couldn't easily find one similar.

Any ideas on where to buy lighted ones?

I need several and $18 a pop is not appealing:

http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4471&category_id=4482&category_parent_id=

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reviving old thread...im trying to get my stock unit out and it wont budge, from prev posts i gather a few have had same prob and destroyed the oem unit in process, is there a trick maybe or hints that enable to remove without destroying...i mean its a cig lighter how hard can it be? Rolling Eyes Embarassed
syncromike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBA 88West LA wrote:
reviving old thread...im trying to get my stock unit out and it wont budge, from prev posts i gather a few have had same prob and destroyed the oem unit in process, is there a trick maybe or hints that enable to remove without destroying...i mean its a cig lighter how hard can it be? Rolling Eyes Embarassed

I took it out when I swapped my stereo. With the stereo out, put my hand and a flathead screwdriver through the DIN hole to press down on a tab on the back side of the OE lighter socket. I think I twisted the lighter socket to get to the tab on the top or bottom.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Instagram Classifieds Feedback
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found I had to remove the light housing that is clipped onto the cig lighter housing, which allows the cig lighter body's clips which are nothing more than plastic, to be pushed, while pulling the housing out in one motion.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Break that thing out then replace it with something that will actually hold onto your plug and is lit like stock. It is made by flosser of germany so you are still keeping it real.
http://www.gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4471&category_id=&category_parent_id=

If you really want to save it there are a pair of tabs on the sides that need to be pushed in and remove the light holder as well.
GreenMachineVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncrodoka wrote:
... If you really want to save it there are a pair of tabs on the sides that need to be pushed in and remove the light holder as well.

I've removed a few of them, and even when you know and understand how it works, it is never easy. Even the clean removals never seem to fit well the second time around.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. Replacing with a better unit is a solid bet
Abelabelabel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all. Just purchased the lighted Gowesty replacement lighter.
Problem is, I'm stuck! For some reason I do not have enough wire slack to pull original wires through the hole in the dash. Which seems pretty key to complete instillation with human sized appendages.

The only solution seems to be purchasing some extra wire and tying in to original wiring to gain the slack I need. Not a problem once I pull out the glovebox, I just have no idea what wiring to buy, or if anyone else has run in to this problem? Also, If I'm going to crimp it to original, also not sure whate gauge electrical crimps to buy. Is there a better solution?
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone give advice on wiring up a second receptacle next to the original? How would that get wired in? My goal is to have the 12v receptacle to power things like small air pumps for rafts that only have the lighter adapter, and a second receptacle for the Blue Sea dual USBs. I understand I think how to replace one, but how do I actually wire in a second one next to it?

Thanks.
insyncro
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: replacing ciggarette lighter receptacle Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Blix wrote:
...What would be a solution for this?

I have been known to jam half of a spring-type clothes pin in alongside the plug to keep it from falling out. A popsicle stick works to.

Have you consdered using the 'silver plug' outlet for the radio? That would side step the problem and also leave the lighter outlet available ofr other use.

Marinco SeaLink products are an updated "silver plug".
Water resistant as well.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vnyd Dog wrote:
Can anyone give advice on wiring up a second receptacle next to the original? How would that get wired in? My goal is to have the 12v receptacle to power things like small air pumps for rafts that only have the lighter adapter, and a second receptacle for the Blue Sea dual USBs. I understand I think how to replace one, but how do I actually wire in a second one next to it?

Thanks.

You can just add jumpers from the original outlet to the second outlet that you'd like to install. I replaced the OEM lighter outlet with a dual usb since that's what I use most of the time. I'd also like to add a second cigarette lighter outlet but I will just put that in the glovebox because I don't want to drill a hole in the dash. I also plan to have a usb adapter in that outlet so I can charge a device in the glovebox and avoid having extra wires/devices hanging around on the dash.

There are many options, think of your needs and how you'd like to wire it and shop for solutions.

You could use something like this to accommodate both USB and a lighter plug and wire it in the golvebox...

http://www.amazon.com/12vtechnology-Ycn8-cykd-tplt...a+usb+dual

Lighter outlet (requires minor dremeling of the dash to enlarge the hole to fit this outlet)...
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Volt-Socket...s=blue+sea

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that first link looks pretty good. Man I wish I was better with wiring. So instead of drilling into the dash, your rec is to actually mount in the glovebox. Man I hadn't even thought of that. So I'm receiving the Blue Sea Dual USB socket tomorrow. I can just jumper that off the OEM lighter socket? That thing has like 5 wires, although from the GoWesty Vid, I guess two are positive and two are ground. So maybe just vampire clip into those and connect to the aftermarket socket?

jimf909 wrote:
Vnyd Dog wrote:

Thanks.

You can just add jumpers from the original outlet to the second outlet that you'd like to install. I replaced the OEM lighter outlet with a dual usb since that's what I use most of the time. I'd also like to add a second cigarette lighter outlet but I will just put that in the glovebox because I don't want to drill a hole in the dash. I also plan to have a usb adapter in that outlet so I can charge a device in the glovebox and avoid having extra wires/devices hanging around on the dash.

There are many options, think of your needs and how you'd like to wire it and shop for solutions.

You could use something like this to accommodate both USB and a lighter plug and wire it in the golvebox...

http://www.amazon.com/12vtechnology-Ycn8-cykd-tplt...a+usb+dual

Lighter outlet (requires minor dremeling of the dash to enlarge the hole to fit this outlet)...
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-Volt-Socket...s=blue+sea
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recall two positive wires, one for the socket and one for the light. Possibly one or two grounds (coming and going). You just need to tap into the power and the ground.

I haven't mounted it in the glovebox yet but I'm considering just having it on a cord and hanging in there. Another possibility is to cut the side of the glovebox to accommodate the plugs but that may be executed better with a plug of some kind to allow the glovebox to be easily removed.

My first step was to replace the funky OEM lighter a USB outlet and that's served me well so far but I don't really have anything yet that requires a cigarette lighter (but I'd like the option to have that as an outlet just for some future convenience).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I recall two positive wires, one for the socket and one for the light. Possibly one or two grounds (coming and going). You just need to tap into the power and the ground.

I haven't mounted it in the glovebox yet but I'm considering just having it on a cord and hanging in there. Another possibility is to cut the side of the glovebox to accommodate the plugs but that may be executed better with a plug of some kind to allow the glovebox to be easily removed.

My first step was to replace the funky OEM lighter a USB outlet and that's served me well so far but I don't really have anything yet that requires a cigarette lighter (but I'd like the option to have that as an outlet just for some future convenience).

Got it done just in time for my camping trip. Just needed the right 1 1/8 bit to drill the plastic glove box. Went through like a hot knife through butter.

chojinchef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went this way with dash update this past spring. Just another option.

Left lit factory type for cigarette lighter, and flux capacitor. Installed two power outlets for any needs. Installed two factory type power ports in rear from a Passat.

All of these ports are on new individual 20 amp circuits running to Blue Sea fuse block behind drivers seat.

Lighting power runs from dash light.
Its a mistress; an expensive, whiney, needy bitch of a mistress. She is a chunky, dirty girl with bad skin, little motivation and yet she always makes me smile. She sure has been around before shacking up with me. She has a direct line to my wallet, plays with my emotions, is consistantly jovial yet with a sarcastic and sardonic side, is consistant in her inconsistancy, and every once in a while gives me a great ride and a fantastic memory.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vnyd Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait...is that the flux capacitor?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: