Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

DIY Window Tinting
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ethan5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:42 pm    Post subject: DIY Window Tinting Reply with quote

I've seen a few threads on The Samba about window tinting but none seem to focus on the DIY type. Has anyone had experience with the DIY tinting? What brand did you use? How was installation? Etc. I'm thinking about taking this on but I'm trying to determine if I should just pay a shop to do it. Thoughts anyone?
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attempted to apply window tint on my Mercedes wagon at one point, but gave up in abject failure within moments of beginning. After that, I felt really good about spending the $245 to have it done professionally. I think you want the high quality 3M stuff which doesn't turn purple on you after a couple years. I may have my van done this year to help assist the AC to do its thing.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY window tinting is like a toupee.

Pretty easy to spot and seldom looks good.

Of course maybe I have looked at a DIY tint job and it was so good that I didn't realize that was what it was. Same could be true for the toupees.

Nah, I don't think so.
ProvoCyclist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seconded. I did a DIY job on mine, but I never was super happy about it. After about a year, it was quite faded, not purple, but it was still pretty faded. I had a local tint shop do mine, and it is perfect.

Past: 1985 Sunroof GL, 2wd, Subaru 3.3L, manual trans, resprayed to Diamond Silver L97A
a914622
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The prev-owner of mine tried to use the cheap stuff from walmart. It is crap.

There is a Foam Store on 196th in Lynwood that sells the real auto tint for like 2.90 a foot in 40 inch wide. Clean the windows with soft scrub, fiberglass safe, to get all the oils off the glass. go slow and fallow directions.

jcl
srmpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get the best tinting foil you can get (3M brand). The two back side windows are easy with a little bit of practice. I still have to do the sliding windows (need to figure out how to get the glass out). the rear window is a PITA - I gave up after wasting the foil two times. this window is not flat as the other ones and you have to heat shrink the foil.

In summary: check yelp for a good professional window tinter and save a lot of time and energy.
Ethan5150
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, excellent info! Sounds like the pro job is the way to go. Thanks everyone!
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you have the skill, all you need is the good tint material. like others have said, not the cheap crap at shucks etc. go to a tint shop and see if they will sell you the material.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT do it yourself.

http://www.tintdude.com

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tint and A LOT of patience and practice. I have tinted windows in the past and it is fun to try to do. When you finally get it down and do a good job it does feel good. I practiced on the drivers side rear yesterday and it came out good. I am going to go ahead and do the rest. I am going with a 2 1/2% which is very dark. I will post the pics when I am done. The hardest part is getting it trimmed at the rubber seal of each window. It you don't trim it good it will look like crap. Sqweeging the air bubbles is easy if it is trimmed properly. A tint shop I went to wants $430. Shocked

"Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but there is always time to do it twice?"

"Back to the basics!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

probably not a bad price. it's fussy work.
srmpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vanjoe wrote:
I practiced on the drivers side rear yesterday and it came out good.

wait for the rear window - i promise, you'll be happy to spend the $430 Wink

The side windows are flat but for the rear you need to heat shrink the foil. I gave up after trying two times.
unibagel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine myself and it turned out pretty good, you can't tell if you are 10 feet away.

(LOL). I bought the tint from ebay, 5% (Limo tint) for the back 3 and 20% for the rest. I have a weekender and was against taking the rear cabinet out so I made a tool using an old credit card gorilla taped onto a long ice scraper to get the bubbles out. It actually worked pretty well. It's not waht the pros would do, but I am happy with it. The rear window was a b*tch! I used 2 pieces and put the sems horizontally on top of one of the Rear Defroster lines.

Here's how I did it:
Clean all windows inside and out with dish soap & water. Figure out which side is the tint and which side is the clear backing. Spray the outside of the window with your soapy water to make it stick to the window. Lay your tint on the outside of the window to be tinted remember that the tint goes on the INSIDE of the window so the
Clear Backing should be closest to you. Cut the tint to be close to the right size (I did the final trimming from the inside). Spray the inside of the window, peel off the clear backing while spraying with soapy water. Put tint on inside of window, for out the bubbles fro mthe center out (up & down and side to side only), trim to perfect fit.

Remember to use plenty of soapy water! And a nice sharp exacto knife! The haze will disappear after a day of so, DO NOT open the windows for 24+ hours. Have many cold German Beers while waiting for them to dry....

It does make a big difference in temperature with the tint on. It's also much, much more private at the drive in and for tailgaiting at concerts, etc... Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
windnsea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to redo mine, and I'm driving over to Phoenix to have it done - they do so many cars in Arizona that the prices are super competitive, even for the best guys!

Going to have the windows pulled out and the new gaskets put in place at the same time.
vanjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unibagel thats a lot of good info. If the people search you tube and other sites it will confirm what you are explaining. Some of them tell you to use "special spray" but the dish soap and water works great and will save people $10 on something they don't need.

"Why is there never time to do it right the first time, but there is always time to do it twice?"

"Back to the basics!"
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tint job with some extra primo deluxe film with a multiyear (10 year?) warrenty was like $200 for the 5 rear windows. I forget the details and have the receipt in the van. I got a great job as I had the windows out of the van for paint. 5 years later they still look and work great.

I think you get what you pay for in this case.

This is a job for the pros, me thinks. Plus it is a MAJOR PITA to do in the van!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks!

Is it easier to do it windows out of the seal?

Will it peal trying to put the window back in the seal?

Thanks!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: