Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Freeway flyer or not....decisions, decisions!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:58 am    Post subject: Freeway flyer or not....decisions, decisions! Reply with quote

OK, so the used transmission that I swapped into my 67 camper leaks from 3 different places. I just put in this transmission which I bought used. I have already fixed two leaks and am tired of chasing down problems. Plus, I need the bus in exactly one month for my honeymoon. So, I will be buying a rebuilt trans from rancho today.

I have searched "freeway flyer" and read the 8 pages of threads but everyones situation is a little different so I thought I would start my own thread. Thanks for listening.

Currently, I cruise at 60-65 comfortably, 60 is better and more average. Would love it if I could cruise 65 comfortably. I am running what I believe is a 1500 or 1600 engine but not 100% certain without tearing it apart. Who knows, maybe it is a 1776 or bigger. I am running Hankook RA08 195R15 tires.

I talked to Rancho today. I could do a freeway flyer for an additional $195 which is not bad to me. However, I am worried I wont have enough power to push a freeway flyer. What do you think? Is a 1500 and freeway flyer an OK combo or will I be lugging it in 4th gear on the highway? I plan on updating my engine to a 1776 eventually, but probably not for another year or so. What do you think? Stay stock or go freeway flyer? I need to make this decision today. It is crunch time!
IN2RUST
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would change your tranny to a Freeway Flyer when you change engines.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that a FF (3.88 r/p) was a bit too high gearing for a 1600. I was told it was the bees knees, but it made my bee a bit wimpy. I liked the perkier bee better.
A 4.12 with big nut boxes and 195/75/14s was good in a 67 with 1600.
Do you know if you have a 4.37 or a 4.12 now?

Since you're planning on a 1776, you could get the FF now, and it'd be geared for more motor. That means it'll not be so perky with the 1600, but it'll match when you get more motor.

Or if you rock the 4.12, you'll have more pulling power.

A 67 came with a 4.37 when new, according to owners manuals.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what is in it now. Is there a way to check? Also, I made a typo, I'm running 195r14 tires. The trans that was in it before seemed to have better highway speed but it pops out of second. The trans in it now has to be from 64-66 because it had to be ground out for the 12v flywheel. I may just put the og trans back in and deal with it popping out of second. Save some cash. Thoughts on why that is bad? It stays in gear if I hold it.
don.ville Premium Member
Samba YardMan

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Florida, no hills anywhere, easy decision: Freeway Flier.

You live in Colorado, if you have many hills, OR are on the freeway a lot, OR driving to far away places, these are things to talk to Rancho about when making the decision.

67 Standard 11 window How I Keep My Bus Alive
04 Jetta TDI Page (SOLD)
01 Mexican Beetle Hello Kitty Rescue (SOLD)
29 Ford Model A Rat Rod (SOLD)
2015 Audi A8L TDI Quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busmania24 wrote:
Not sure what is in it now. Is there a way to check? Also, I made a typo, I'm running 195r14 tires. The trans that was in it before seemed to have better highway speed but it pops out of second. The trans in it now has to be from 64-66 because it had to be ground out for the 12v flywheel. I may just put the og trans back in and deal with it popping out of second. Save some cash. Thoughts on why that is bad? It stays in gear if I hold it.

Basically, you get the trans rebuildt when it is too annoying. If you are down with rocking the popping 2nd, save dough. If it is annoying, don't.

There was a page with the math on how to tell the gears in side w/o taking it apart. you spun the engine and counted turns of engine (or tranny shaft) to turns of wheel (in 4th, other wheel chocked). Then checked the chart for the ratio. Page was taken down. gone. someone could re-do the math.
You can also pull a side plate and count teeth on the ring gear.

maybe you had 4.12 before, and replaced it with a tranny with a 4.37.

Even on the flat, I found the 3.88 not so good with a 1600.
But some people think it's great.

I don't like chocolate ice cream, either.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I think I will hold off on buying a transmission for now and just put the one that pops out of second back in. I will buy the engine and trans in the fall, together, when money is a little easier for me to come by.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

busmania24 wrote:
Thanks for the help. I think I will hold off on buying a transmission for now and just put the one that pops out of second back in. I will buy the engine and trans in the fall, together, when money is a little easier for me to come by.

I have the rancho FF 3.88 and big nut gearing, I would not want to push it with the 15/1600 motor, it is a better match for my 1800 stroker w/ torque camshaft. My advice would be stay with what you have or go with a 4.12 and big nut gears, its a good all around combo. If your definitely upgrading the motor then perhaps use what you have until that swap happens and then go 3.88
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well our $1.99s worth would be go with the 3.875 R&P, with .82 fourth FF. Then when you go with the 1776 engine you will already have the transaxle you need for it.
If you are still not sure, buy or borrow a tach and see what MPH you hit 1,500 in 2-4th and 3,000 RPM in 1-4th.
Krustybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a 4.12 big nut with a 1600. Happy with it so far. Comfortable cruising at 65. Maybe a little more 3-4 shifting around town.
KILLERWATT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 3.88 is great for when I'm by myself and driving around town.

If it's windy or I'm loaded down my 1776 with dual carbs and ported heads doesn't want to do more than 60mph and it will run hot on long trips. I'm going to have an 82 4th installed before next show season.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Freeway flyer or not....decisions, decisions! Reply with quote

Since its out and you liked it better, have the original rebuilt and put it back in.
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
Old Paint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a ff 4th gear trans in California, awesome on the flats, sucks uphil, ran a 1600 sp. I think it depends on where you live.

1961 Ragtop
1961 Single Cab (Old Paint)
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drove the 62 panel today and it was perky and fun to drive.
Last time I drove it it felt really tired.

Might have been because now it is empty, last time it was loaded to the gills with at least a ton of stuff. Idea
If you have a camper or carry cargo or carry passengers, the bus is heavier.
It'll feel wimpier than an empty bus, more so with high gearing.
CafeRouge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what your thoughts are on style of bus you like but you could look at tire size to help with speed/bogging. Until the bigger motor you could throw on lower profile tires to make it a little more peppy. Just a thought
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Paint wrote:
Had a ff 4th gear trans in California, awesome on the flats, sucks uphil, ran a 1600 sp. I think it depends on where you live.

If it only had a higher geared fourth gear. Those are not too good because you end up with a RPM gap between 3rd and 4th, where you are either too high of RPM or too low.

With a higher geared ring a pinion the 4th gear is not only moved up in MPH, but also gets magnified.

Went from:
Early 1960s stock R&P with 100 RPM increase = 1MPH increase.
3.875 R&P with 100 RPM increase = 1.5 MPH increase.

Plus made changes to 1-3rd gears to keep and shift point gaps from happening.
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Freeway flyer or not....decisions, decisions! Reply with quote

busmania24 wrote:
OK, so the used transmission that I swapped into my 67 camper leaks from 3 different places. I just put in this transmission which I bought used. I have already fixed two leaks and am tired of chasing down problems. Plus, I need the bus in exactly one month for my honeymoon. So, I will be buying a rebuilt trans from rancho today.

I have searched "freeway flyer" and read the 8 pages of threads but everyones situation is a little different so I thought I would start my own thread. Thanks for listening.

Currently, I cruise at 60-65 comfortably, 60 is better and more average. Would love it if I could cruise 65 comfortably. I am running what I believe is a 1500 or 1600 engine but not 100% certain without tearing it apart. Who knows, maybe it is a 1776 or bigger. I am running Hankook RA08 195R15 tires.

I talked to Rancho today. I could do a freeway flyer for an additional $195 which is not bad to me. However, I am worried I wont have enough power to push a freeway flyer. What do you think? Is a 1500 and freeway flyer an OK combo or will I be lugging it in 4th gear on the highway? I plan on updating my engine to a 1776 eventually, but probably not for another year or so. What do you think? Stay stock or go freeway flyer? I need to make this decision today. It is crunch time!

I recently put a new, Rancho trans in a customers 67 Kombi. Rancho wanted to sell him the FF gearing and I convinced him to use the stock gearing. He has a near stock motor. We're both glad he chose the stocker. Consider that about 5000' is the lowest altitude you will encounter in Colorado. I've driven my Busses to over 14,000'! We have about 30% less horsepower/torque at 5000' than the Cal guys...that's a big difference! Even a 1776 would have a hard time getting close to factory HP #'s up here without better carbs, heads, cam... I would go with the smaller gearing and change to bigger tires in the future if it's winding out more than you would like. I'd be bummed to spend a grand only to find my engine is constantly running hot and I had to down shift all the time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has convinced me to stick with the stock trans. I appreciate all of the input. I will likely get one with 4.12 4th like recommended. For now, I am going to reinstal the popping out of second trans and just deal with it. I plan on mainly doing highway drivig this summer so the second gear issue should not be too much of a bother. Thanks again!
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently run a 4.12 trans with stock 4th (.82), big nut boxes and 215/75/15s. A 74x85.5 with dual 36 dells pushing it and its great. I picked up 5mph over the small nut trans I swapped out.
GDOG57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^What RPM's you running at 65mph?^
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: