Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1969 Ghia - Hiramhaus
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: 1969 Ghia - Hiramhaus Reply with quote

I thought I would do a build thread, since I have started changing things and wondered if I had any pictures to look back on. So first I'll start with a pic close as I can to when I first got it. I have had a few question threads, this one is mostly for documenting progress, or lack of it.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have had several vw's and this one on thesamba in the past so you may recognize it.

In that pic it still has the blinkers below the headlights, I have since moved them inside the Type 1 housings.

Do you powder coat a sway bar?> I may have to if its appropriate

I think now that I can turn corners like a normal person, the next step is full on rust assault, exhaust replacement, and eventually carbs.

Last edited by Hiramhaus on Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:37 pm; edited 6 times in total
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get smaller tires up front. Get that ass down.

Looks like your heading in the right direction. The car looks clean. [/GVideo]
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that there are dropped spindles and adjustable beam, I may need to sort out some tires.

I have these but I believe the spindles may interfere with them, and I don't really have much fender space even now.

This is what sactojesse said about them:

sactojesse wrote:
Those American Eagle Rivieras don't have the most favorable offset (+17 mm or so) for ghias. I'd recommend a rim w/ offset in the +35 mm range, like the 2-liter alloy replicas. With the Rivieras, you probably won't be able to get anything wider than a 185/65R15 in the rear. Not sure about your fronts. 145R15s will fit for sure and are roughly the same rolling diameter as 185/65R15s. With your narrowed beam, you might be able to get 175/65R15s or 185/65R15s in front, but you'll have to do it by trial and error at the tire store.

but here is a guy with 2"beam adjustable and spindles - cant seem to roust him on the PM, but he's out there:

Last edited by Hiramhaus on Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:02 pm; edited 4 times in total
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=299926

Check put this thread. I've always loved ghias but haven't owned one yet so I can't give you an exact tire size but I'm sure this link will help you find the right tire size to get it low without a lot of rubbing.
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked with a few people with rivieras it seems the problem is it needs a 3/8" spacer. Seems it hits the brake caliper otherwise. But after that its a fit as far as the rims go...so spacers, lugs and bolts, then tires....
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:26 am    Post subject: Headlights Reply with quote

Ordered headlights from CB and bummer, they don't match.....

good news is they are going to replace one of them somehow - or try to.. they said.

I have ones like the one on the right, I want another like the one on the left. The adjusters look a little more substantial and are at the 4 and 6 positions, the one on the right has them at the 2 and 7 postions. Also I have lenses like the one on the right, so I thought if I had the other, then I could switch back and forth to see what I liked.

I also got some other stuff....

Last edited by Hiramhaus on Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:07 am; edited 2 times in total
durfeec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The headlight glass depends on your bulbs. Either your bulb or your glass has to be fluted. Both cannot be smooth and clear or your light won't be broken up properly. You won't have good headlights.
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently have clear and clear, and I would really like to break it up. CB didn't email back or call, I wonder if they're just mailing another. I missed calling them by 15 minutes. Screwed up the time zone.....

djghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talked with you in Iowa City this spring outside of Brueger's downtown. I told you that I had a '62 vert and grew-up in northeast Iowa. Glad to see you doing some work on yours! Here is a photo of mine and the Rabbit I have.

Hope your summer is going well and maybe I'll see you around IC since our son is a student there. Go Hawks!!!! Dave J
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife is from Decorah, her brothers have had several ghias which I ended up with some of those, pretty rough. This one is finally worth working on. I have a spare 74 in a barn as well - its rough. I live right there, so if you go to Brueggers you just may see me. Nice vert,nice rabbit, I had a 91 mk1 cabriolet.

This was it:

Last edited by Hiramhaus on Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
djghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I just read your latest and......my wife is also from Decorah!! So what is your wife's maiden name and when did she graduate? PM me if this becomes too sensitive. My wife graduated in 1977. I graduated from Postville in 1975. We were in IC from 1977-1986. My wife got her BS and Phd from Iowa. I was actually there only from '81 on and got my BA. I worked at the Firestone downtown while I was in school. Plan on helping our son move into an apartment sometime in early August. He is currently a camp counselor at Ewalu in Strawberry Point. Dave J
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Got the tach and the voltmeter mounted, and the volt meter hooked up. Have to run the tach wire to the coil somehow. I relocated the oil temp and redrilled for the larger tach. It looks a little wonky in the picture but I think its the camera angle.

Since I have many decklids, I am going to put a luggage rack on that has been sitting on my spare.

I know some people think they're bad luck, or I should get a roof rack, but I have a tri-fold sunroof, so roof rack wouldn't work real well.
I'm not sure what I intend to carry though, maybe a light cooler?

I think it will look cool with my messed up headlights, and messed up dash if you know what I mean, and maybe the Rivs'

Also CB wrote back and sent a tracking number, they are sending me the fluted glass headlight I hoped for. I guess I was the only one to get one from them, as its not one they carry. I am pretty pleased with them how they made it right, and gave me the match with the better housing.
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the rack installed, had a bear of a stuck broken bolt at first from the old installation. Got all stainless, and used washers with some rubber. Little sealant on the drill edges. The replacement headlight came and installed them, I think they look a little better with the new lenses (and chrome). Have to wait until dark to try them out really.

I think the next step is going to have to be getting the caster shims in, turn signal indicators on the inside of the car, emergency brake light and 155/60 15's up front. Still have a tad bit of wheel rub. I gave a guy my front bumper in a crazy move, I may see if I can trade it back somehow....I wouldn't mind just a blade bumper.
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to Le Claire yesterday, stopped to see the Single Cab, but it wasn't there, this split was there. Very nice place for a VW visit.
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to tweak my top adjuster up a couple notches and I no have NO RUBBING ISSUES> I think the caster shims literally helped a little, and the adjustment helped a lot. I may go for the shorter tires, I may not. I am pretty satisfied with where it is for the moment.

I put the car on ramps, then jacked the car up a little, loosened the adjusters, raised the car until the wheels hung, took off the bottom shock connection, loosened the sway bar, and the adjusters still wouldn't go to the top on their own. I had to put a allen in the stud and lift it while I snapped the square deal into a groove spot, then tightened the nut, and it still wasn't all the way up. (if that makes sense).

Is it just the geometry of the spindle that keeps it from going any further? I couldn't see anything else holding the top spring from moving. I got the caster shims installed, and found the adjustment was off a little on the top adjuster. I tweaked it up a couple notches, and NO MORE RUBBING. At a full turn with the car loaded with gas and people I can put a hand in between the fender and tire. Its a little higher than I would like but until I get tires for the RIv's I am going to skyjack it, and not rub. I also was able to trial fit the rims on the hubs, no contact with the spokes to the calipers or the tie rods. I think I can migrate onto my Rivieras, I think it should look good. I might powder coat them "anthracite" and black out the black parts. But as far as ride and ride height and tire clearance I am pretty pleased.

The camber shims made a difference, I may wait and then later install the second pair. I'm going to take a pic of ride height and old rims.

For me big deal:

Shims installed
Beam adjusted
Rims clear
NO RUB

http://360.io/rFfd8B/s?ref=nf
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the silver powder coat done. I think I will paint in the black, I have the sandpaper and the paint. They do kind of look neat like this. I have also considered painting spokes but not the holes.... I'm not sure, might do that first and look.

I also found someone to manufacture me a new ragtop for 150.00 out of some new fangled canvas with waterproof backing material.

so this is the old one.

Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This photo is after the first coat of black on the spokes, I let it dry 24 hours and did another coat, I may go for a third touch up. There were a few defects in the casting, and a couple dings from tire irons or whatever, I am going for a early 70's modified look so I think it looks like a car that gets used, but taken care of. I need to try and strip a few smears off with a 3M pad or something. All in All look way better than they did, not perfect but look the way I imagined they would.

In order to take a pic with them on the car, I need to put them on the car. I can't decide whether to move my old tires over, trial size with the new offset, then order accordingly from TireRack, or just order from tire rack some 165/60's and 165/80's and call it good.

I'll find out real soon.
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the 165/80ishes on there and I've got some rub.

Now I ordered 165/60's and they should be here in the next two days...[/img]
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All four on with

165/60 r15's on front -

so far so good, have hit center a few times up front, but other than that no rubbing.
Hiramhaus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putting a 1776 with progressive Weber, engle 110, dual port balanced crank, need to get tin and exhaust.

Getting a little something done this fall I hope
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: