Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

rebuilding a barn beetle - '57
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:53 pm    Post subject: rebuilding a barn beetle - '57 Reply with quote

guys,,

forgive my ignorance and the lameness of this question....

at my parents farm my dad's old '57 sits in a barn. i would say its complete, a crinkled fender or two.

someday, I think to myself, i'd like to get it running and reliable/safe. i know the motor needs a rebuild (turns, but....) and dad says he parked it because the front end (kingpin?) steering was too loose, and the engine was tired.

anyone care to toss out some estimates as to how much cash i would need to have "on standby" to put a beetle like this back on the road? you know, new running gear (used motor? rebuild?), brakes, steering, tires, suspension, and all? also - are parts for the running gear tough to find or readily reproduced? (in marginal quality Razz ) I would leave the body as-is.

thanks for tips!
66brm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on the condition of what you are working with, new king and linkpins, brake cylinders, flex hoses, tie rod ends, brake linings, wheel bearings and seals, master cylinder, steering coupling, all just for the front end.

Then the rear, new wheel cylinders,brake linings, flex brake lines, trans oil, new axle seals, then get the engine sorted, new flex fuel lines, fuel filter, oil change, spark plugs, points, cap, rotor, condensor, leads......

It can go on and on as you can see, be prepared for close to $1000 for a rolling chassis with out the engine being sorted

modok wrote:
I am an expert at fitting things in holes, been doing it a long time
63beryl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can do all (most) the work yourself, I'd say $1200-$1500 which includes a running motor. I didn't say a rebuilt motor, just a decent used motor. Make it safe 1st.. brakes, steering, king/link pins, and then worry about all the other stuff. Good luck and keep us posted.
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys,

I would assume everything replaceable needs replacing. I dont know the specifiecs but i can only assume dad parked this thing well before i was born, so i would guess it spent at least 30 years in a field, then he dragged it into a barn about 15 years ago. then, as a dumb kid, i took the motor out, realized this was out of my league, lost a few parts, etc.

I personally believe the body could be run as is, maybe POR the pans. the hood appears to have suffered hail damage at some point and the bondo is showing.

I think i could to all the work myself, i have tools and vw bus know-how at least.

I think i will start by sourcing new tires. wonder what tires to run on this beast? i best get on the search button. at least then it will stand proud again and roll nice.

I had some pics a while ago, but they got lost - I'll get some more to liven up this thread a bit and you guys could tell me if im crazy or not.

thanks!
nick696
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like they say, safety first.
Renew the brakes, steering coupling and check the tie-rods, check the bearings and stuf.

Best you just do a check-up on all the stuff so you car can run safely. Maybe make notes to what needs to be repaired, make an inventory and see what the parts will cost. Then you will really now. Allways keep in made that more stuf will show up to be repaired when you are on it.

Never the less, always nice to find such things have fun with it and post some pic's along the way man ! Very Happy
russ c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ho Shocked w about some pictures
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure this question drives you guys nuts, but just wondering if these rims fit the 57 bug?

http://www.airriders.ca/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=20316

I've put an offer in with this guy but would like to confirm these will fit before sealing the deal.

thanks!
L378
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rims with tread certainly appear to beetle rims. And should fit. ones without?? Not porsche (at least not ABorC), not bus. Only way to know for sure is lug pattern (which looks the same but may not be the same) and lug size. See if the seller will measure, but since he says they are smaller I'd really think about not doing it.

Those dunlap tires are awesome. Wish I had me a set. Just what everyone needs a set of wide white snow tires!
BISH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rims without tyres look like 14 inch centres welded into a wider than standard rim, you can see the beads of weld on the outside of the wheel centre where it meets the rim. Not the nicest look, the wrong size, and seeing as you dont know who welded them its best to stay away from them for safety`s sake.

Im sure you will be able to find the correct wide 5 bolt pattern, 15 inch diameter rims easily and cheaply. Be patient, do your research here on the Samba and you will find everything you need is out there somewhere!

Good luck, Bish.
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's the photos...finally.

not a great as some other "finds" here, but this isnt so much a find. I grew up with this old thing out in the field, and yeah, i can blame myself for breaking the headlights and taillights when i was too young to think...at least I laid off the glass, not sure why i didn't smash that too.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sorry, no particular order. again, just looking to replace the running gear and get it moving safely. may have to work on the interior a bit to make it livable, but, no rush!
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lucky bastard!!!!!!! You have Huls Recliners already in your ride.. NICE OVAL!!!
rustbus wrote:
I can blame myself for breaking the headlights and taillights when i was too young to think...at least I laid off the glass, not sure why i didn't smash that too.

Its okay.. Your going to pay for it now.. Laughing
I gave my oval a nasty look. Money hungry bitch....

(Delilah) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319235

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

1954 Parts Book (CD PDF) PM TO INQUIRE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stale air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, I noticed the recliners also, lucky s.o.b. lol. Sweet car! It looks to be agave green, that's a cool color. It looks to have some great potential, an I bet will clean up nicely.

Keep us posted on your progress!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys,

valentine,I was told by some local club guys these huls were sorta special. whats the story there? is there a thread on huls recliners somewhere?

stale air, i think the color is awesome too, especially in matte finish! i know the decklid is wrong, and I have sourced a W for it, but....wrong color. probably wont worry about that for now.

SO the guys in the posts above gave me some great lists of the systems that needs to be checked out. now that there's some pics, how would you guys go about getting started?

I was thinking, wheels so it rolls. get it on a trailer and into a car wash, and blast the frig out of it. get it up on blocks and .....? pull the front end out? do the rear end? is there a way to ease into a beetle or should I just order a pile of parts and start?

those pans look solid enough? too bad the hood is beat. see any parts I better start keeping an eye out for? how hard is it to get those front signals? I have lenses for the rear, but do need headlights too.

uhhhh. so many questions Neutral
valentinesr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustbus wrote:
hey guys,

valentine,I was told by some local club guys these huls were sorta special. whats the story there? is there a thread on huls recliners somewhere? Neutral

I had did an install thread on the earlier set that I have.. The "Resurrection Project" had added the later version, which is what you have on your car to the thread as well..

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391437&highlight=huls

To answer your question though.. Yes there special.. It was an accessory for your seats.. The upper back seat rest is usually fixed when they come from the factory; so theres no laying all the way down.. You pretty much have to sit upright... What you have is an original modification to your seats, that was an accessory provided during that time period. which allowed the seats to lay all the way back... SO! For you.. a period correct accessory already installed.. I paid a nice chunk to get mine.. Thats one thing you dont have to worry about..
I gave my oval a nasty look. Money hungry bitch....

(Delilah) http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=319235

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=

1954 Parts Book (CD PDF) PM TO INQUIRE
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Wolfsburg West and request a catalog.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/

Then call West coast Metrics and request a catalog.
https://shop.westcoastmetric.com/index.php

Go through the catalogs and start making a list of what you need. Then add it up and you'll know what it is going to cost. Take that number and at least double it.

As far as those wheels, I would forget about that for now! They look like they would rub the spring plates on the inside.

Bus wheels will not work on a beetle either for the same reason. And even if you can get them to bolt up they look silly because of the inset of the wheel.

You have plenty of other things to do before you should start thinking about wheels and tires! Once you are ready for wheels, you will be able to find what you need, or you can always send out a set of stock ones to have them widened.

If you stay with the original 36 horse engine, you will want to stick with the stock wheels anyway. If you increase the weight of the wheel/tire package, it really kills the performance!
rud helsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for the full resto! Wink not much work at first side so... I'd give it a go! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
type4split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: oval Reply with quote

I would not "restore" that car. It is too nice as it is. scrub it inside and out. It will be perfect the way it is. Don't ruin a car in that shape that has been like that and in the family. just my 2-cents
'50-something convertible (*need ribbed 'vert quarter panel )
'63 "milo" beetle
Part, parts and more parts
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drscope, I actually already bought those wheels tires that look like knobby tractor tires, for $40 i couldnt complain, but i didnt get the widened rims. did you think the tractor tires would rub? the guy was certain they were for pre 60's beetles...?

I'm not looking for final wheels, just something so it rolls better...I know it should go up on blocks anyhow, but wheels will help roll it around on the dirt until i find a good spot for it.

AS for the engine, I wont rebuild the original at this time. i'll just keep my eyes out for a runner, they do come up every so often. what spec engine bolts right in? single port? dual port? I have no clue, I really have little experience with the uprights, All I've ever known and played with is the T4 bus engine.

rud, sorry buddy, I cant justify the money for a full resto and I've always wanted an original paint vehicle, since i had to paint my bus and made a poor decision to change it from factory color. it needed paint, but i should have left it sierra yellow instead of chianti red! someday, maybe, a repaint. Although I have seen a picture of a fully restored 57 with this color and my jar dropped...maybe you guys knwo the picture, same beetle, perfect condition, with a really big guy in the background Laughing

for the body, I was thinking, maybe, tap out the crunched fenders a bit, then, i don't know, just wash it underneath... is there any need to do more? this thing would never be driven in the rain and bad weather anyhow. weekend cruiser at best.

Can't wait until it runs and my dad's in it again. should be some shit eating grins that day! I'm sure he hasn't sat in this thing for about 40 years or so! it will be a year or two yet though....
Agave58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustbus wrote:
here's the photos...finally.

not a great as some other "finds" here, but this isnt so much a find. I grew up with this old thing out in the field, and yeah, i can blame myself for breaking the headlights and taillights when i was too young to think...at least I laid off the glass, not sure why i didn't smash that too.

"It’s not bad at all, really. Maybe it just needs a little love."
Jamestown, New York 14701
Stateside Imported Cars/Motors Items Wanted

Sunland Motors
2030 Fremont St Las Vegas, Nevada
Sunland Motors Items Wanted
rud helsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rustbus wrote:
drscope, I actually already bought those wheels tires that look like knobby tractor tires, for $40 i couldnt complain, but i didnt get the widened rims. did you think the tractor tires would rub? the guy was certain they were for pre 60's beetles...?

I'm not looking for final wheels, just something so it rolls better...I know it should go up on blocks anyhow, but wheels will help roll it around on the dirt until i find a good spot for it.

AS for the engine, I wont rebuild the original at this time. i'll just keep my eyes out for a runner, they do come up every so often. what spec engine bolts right in? single port? dual port? I have no clue, I really have little experience with the uprights, All I've ever known and played with is the T4 bus engine.

rud, sorry buddy, I cant justify the money for a full resto and I've always wanted an original paint vehicle, since i had to paint my bus and made a poor decision to change it from factory color. it needed paint, but i should have left it sierra yellow instead of chianti red! someday, maybe, a repaint. Although I have seen a picture of a fully restored 57 with this color and my jar dropped...maybe you guys knwo the picture, same beetle, perfect condition, with a really big guy in the background Laughing

for the body, I was thinking, maybe, tap out the crunched fenders a bit, then, i don't know, just wash it underneath... is there any need to do more? this thing would never be driven in the rain and bad weather anyhow. weekend cruiser at best.

Can't wait until it runs and my dad's in it again. should be some shit eating grins that day! I'm sure he hasn't sat in this thing for about 40 years or so! it will be a year or two yet though....

no problem at all.. just my vision Wink a thing I would do is a "minimal" check/clean/fix up of the body and chassis. just to keep it in this condition.. else it wont last longer then 5 years and that would be a waste as well... things like giving the down side f the chassis a lace of rutex or some small things like that Wink just to keep it healthy! that doesn't have to cost much! Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: