Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '67 Patina Project
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimAlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: My '67 Patina Project Reply with quote

So I haven't owned a VW in close to 10 years now and got bit again..

After sifting through people's overpriced basket cases and delusionally priced "vintage projects" (WTF is in the VW water these days?) I found a somewhat straight, nearly complete '67 that had been sitting for about the last 21 years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

There's Ruby Red underneath that orange.. I'll begin the tedious process of unearthing it shortly here. The rest of the plans are a -5" beam, discs and spindles up front, -3" drop plates in the rear, and re-pop (I'll pay to play when the real resto goes down) 4.5 & 5.5 Fuchs. This car is gonna be a fun driver until I can afford to give it a real pan off resto.

I went thru the OG paint resurrection thread and picked up some of the recommended supplies. In the next few weeks I'll start attempting to get the Ruby Red back.
webberjames95
Snorkelstang Finder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My '67 Patina Project Reply with quote

Very Similar Car here:

1984 Vanagon:
Berty the Vanagon

1973 Bus
Amber the Bus Sold

INSTAGRAM @jwebber95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimAlan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James - That's freaky! Dope car though!

Well.. I got to stripping some of the respray with Motsenbockers (about one layer at a time) and there's a boatload of primer underneath some spots, but others had almost nothing. I'm gonna go to Easy-Off next and see if it gets thru the old paint and primer in less time. I feel like the Mots is best suited for the final layer right above the OG paint.

I also ripped out the interior and, well.. I put the horse before the carriage and didn't check deep enough when I picked this thing up. I pulled off the crusty carpet over the rear luggage tray and F#&K..

I already knew the battery tray was toast.. But I didn't see how far up it went on the passengers side due to the 5 layers of carpet, rubber, tar board, rubber and more tar board.

So it looks like I'll be buying a MIG welder, a replacement luggage compartment/ firewall and learning how to plug weld. This will be followed by pulling the body off the pan and replacing the halves. I didn't intend on doing this and it'll be my first time, but while I have the pan off I'm gonna blast it, POR 15 it and repipe the brake lines.

Prior to this point I've only turned a wrench and done basic work to previous cars.. So in short I'm jumping into the deep end!
Not All There
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck, just take your time with it and do it right so you dont need to do it again in a few years
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: