Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Question for the Doka (or Sinka) owners: my doka doesn't seem to have any chain/cable or anything like that which would allow me to have the tailgate horizontal when open. As a result, whenever I need to drive with it open my license plate and brake lights are obscured by the tailgate which is a safety/police issue.

Did the Doka/Sinka model have any feature/part to address this or has anyone invented something? I've seen a gate where there were (I think factory) holes to show the brake lights through the gate, but what I am really interested in would be a cable or chain between the side gate and the tailgate so that you could run with it in a horizontal position. I also would not want this to be permanent, I have the fold-down step on the inside of the tailgate and that is very handy and I would like to continue using it. Thanks in advance for any info!

Background on why I am running with my tailgate open: I have a 160lb/74kg 12'2''/3.65M rigid inflatable boat that I would like to tote around in the bed
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

comet42 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Here’s a photo of the cable setup that came stock on some trucks. Seems like a nice option.
Pic is Gary Byers’ from VW T3 Doka/Sinka FB Group.
79 Bus - Champagne Edition (sold)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

comet42 wrote:

Here’s a photo of the cable setup that came stock on some trucks. Seems like a nice option.

Wow, ask and you shall receive! I could see mocking up something like this using angle iron with some plastic coated cable etc, this gives me some ideas. If and when I bang something out I will post the results here for critique. Thanks comet42 for the quick response!!
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

SyncroButter wrote:
comet42 wrote:

Wow, ask and you shall receive! I could see mocking up something like this using angle iron with some plastic coated cable etc, this gives me some ideas. If and when I bang something out I will post the results here for critique. Thanks comet42 for the quick response!!

Too bad the parts are no longer available. Looks as though you could also get a tailgate with holes for the tail lights when the gate is down.
https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?...evel=18941
SyncroButter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

SteveMc wrote:

Too bad the parts are no longer available. Looks as though you could also get a tailgate with holes for the tail lights when the gate is down.
https://www.jimellisvwparts.com/showAssembly.aspx?...evel=18941

Yes, I have seen a picture of one of these... my understanding is that they are primarily on ex military Dokas. Looks like you could DIY one easily if you're good with a nibbler and OK "destroying" an original part, however the OEM part design shows the brake lights only and i would surely get nailed for covering/obscuring the license plate. By the time you make a hole for that too there would not be much gate left Laughing
pdxleaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Here's my set up. I am in process of changing out the chain for a cable. I still need to clean it up some but it works. I can either have the tailgate flat or folded all the way down. No drilling, just attached to the gate locks.

T3messie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Thank you.

I will copy the chain variation of yours. Looks simple and solid.
pdxleaf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Reminder to clean out the debris from your rear cab. Did mine a few years ago and checked it this morning. Dirt starting to pile up again. Pulled the plug and poked around with a stick. Quite a satisfying little pile of dirt came out.

outcaststudios
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

I’ve also seen a rear hatch with rectangular holes for the tail lights to show through when fully down, although I havent seen cutouts for license plates.

Edit: I see that was already posted 😉
(rip)three type III"s
(rip) '81 vanagon
a bunch of french stuff,and 9 motorcycles.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2573791
happy2CU
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Here is my "not afraid to get dirty 2WD Doka" rare pic of it getting cleaned too...
Boh Jacksun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2020 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Hello!
I have been a water cooled VW lover since I was a teenager. Most recently I have acquired a 1985 Doka: 4 speed manual, 2WD, 1.9 Digijet. It needs alot of attention, this is the project/daily driver car I want to rebuild. I come here to read information frequently, my search function skills are growing daily.

[/img]
TransportersRus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Good evening All,

need some help, I have 2 of these wonderful trucks and both are unfortunately paperweights. Goal is to have one running in the next 30-60 days as I need it.

Starting with the one that runs, a 1988 1.6TD, I need to install the muffler I had shipped from Germany and need to remover the flange that is stuck to the turbo, any suggestions on how to remove without having a torch?

Next question has to do with the brakes. Seems because it was sitting and then I moved the brakes have now failed and the pedal goes to the floor. Thinking one of the lines is clogged or one of the pistons has failed. Question is can I replace them with US Vanagon parts?

Thanks for the help in advance as both of these need to be on the road and this is the year it happens.
1988 Transporter T3 Doppelkabine
1990 Transporter T3 Doppelkabine
2013 Beetle Convertible TDI (Hers)
2015 GTI
ajdenette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

chassis wise they are the same so any brake parts you can get for a 1988 Vanagon should work just fine, likely you have a failed line leaking add some brake fluid and pump until you find the leaking fluid and repair as needed. as far as the Turbo you really will be best served by getting an acetylene torch to be able to heat up the rusted bolts and they should come out your really will save time and money by investing in some real heat for that job.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732777
1990 Vanagon Syncro Base awaiting body work
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

I picked up this '90 doka a couple of months ago,I've been wanting a dbl cab for a long time..did not think I would end up with this for sure,as I am more of a split window guy.
I purchased it from the widow of previous owner who had had it for 7 or so years with plans to restore it and had not been driven in a long time.. It came titled as '89 ,lots of new parts in the boxes(window rubbers,scrapers,door seals,blower fan,badges,etc) Brakes had been gone through and plenty of new parts there as well.
Had a local friend who had a set of SA wheels he was not using so I bought those and mounted a set of Haida Puma HD818 LT 215/75R15 Load D 8 Ply M/T Tires..
The motor has been swapped to a 1.9 turbo diesel, replaced some coolant hoses,breather tube,etc..still need to replace starter and some janky wiring in the back. Changed the oil,freshfuel and got it fired up and running.
It came with a '89 Mississippi title...Missouri would not accept the title because of the German VIN and incorrect year, so after many trips to the DMV, highway patrol and a VW birth certificate on hand..It is now officially tagged,titled, legally registered correctly as a 1990 vw truck.I believe having the VW birth certificate was definitely helpful in sorting that all out.
The DOKA was originally delivered and sold at Auto Bodeker GmbH in Butzbach Germany
L489 Meadow green is the original color,still nice on the inside. I will probably try to strip off the bad green paint job and get back to the original paint underneath at some point.
Been enjoy driving it and tinkering with it

1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
tarandusVDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Very nice doka! Nothing like having a drivable project to tinker with!
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Nice doka - looks to be free of rust too, a huge plus!
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

tarandusVDub wrote:
Very nice doka! Nothing like having a drivable project to tinker with!

Thanks....Yes this is a first for me😀...I'm usually dragging rusty split windows out of the fields and ditches!
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
d-rick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:
Nice doka - looks to be free of rust too, a huge plus!

Thanks!...there is some rust on the floor inside the rear door..nothing that can't be cut out and replaced.driver side rear window has some rust under it I can tell...came with new window seals already for when I pop the window out😀
Rockers, seams,etc all seem to be clean
1967 panel/camper
1968 cig-panel *1/2
1968 passenger bus *1/2
1969 beetle
1969 dormobile
1978 sage green Westy
1990 DoKa
2002 Golf TDI
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

I bought this 1990/1 ex Bundeswehr Doka last year, just as covidcation began.
It had 96,000 km on it, it just turned over 100k.