Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:54 pm    Post subject: UN-Official 2WD DoKa thread Reply with quote

First off, much love and respect to the Official Syncro Doka Thread; we are not worthy, we are not worthy, etc. etc. etc.

Yes I have Syncro envy, and yes Syncro DoKas are badass; but you know what? As I was cruising around in my DoKa today I realized how much I love this Truck; and I'm ok with my 2WD status in life.

Well, some of you may find this redundant or what not, but truthfully I had no where to post some of the exciting things (at least to me anyway) that I'm doing with my 2WD DoKa without being told that I was not Syncro related. So use it or ignore it here goes:

Here is my ride that I purchased from a fellow Split-window Sambanista up in WA:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is a 1984 2WD ex-military doka, it has the rear cutouts for the see through lights:

The original diesel engine has been replaced with a 2.1 WBX; there is a Rancho transmission with approximately 10K miles on it; the bed, bottom, treasure chest and floor of the interior has been treated with the black texture liner, and it seems at one point to have been restored and owned by ISP in So. Cal.

I've posted a few challenges and questions in the following threads; one on a rear gate fail:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=449527&highlight=
another on the cab rear seats:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=456337&highlight=

Again these are all Doka related and perhaps redundant to other Doka threads, but I invite and encourage other 2WD owners out there to use this thread as an opportunity to discuss 2WD challenges, mods, and repairs.

For instance, I just received my set of rear cab Tristar window sliders in the mail from Pawel in Poland (thanks!). This is one upgrade I've been wanting to do from the beginning, and just in time for the summer too! They were not cheap, but I think they were worth it. I am considering putting them in myself, however I want to get the old stock windows out without ruining the seals, so I may have a shop do it; but here they are:

By the way Pawel does a great job of finding Doka and Tristar parts and packs and ships them well:

Since my purchase not only have I found and installed the Tristar rear bench, but I was also able to secure a set of rear Tristar seat belts to improve the safety of my passengers. These are different from the standard Vanagon 3 point belts in that they have a twisted mounting plate to allow the belt housing to sit in parallel with the rear bench. This was a great mod in my opinion as those lap belts are just meeting the minimum requirements of safety. Needless to say I've already gotten a second job to help me afford this love affair; this is what I do.

Well let her fly or let her die; it’s up to you.

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dawerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love 2WD Dokas. No massive premium and you can lower them, or do what you want without worry. Do'er up!
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Thread Reply with quote

I think that the Doka Children should be able to play together. Let's keep all Doka related things in one thread .
Maybe the people who want a 2WD will sell their 4WD and maybe the people who want a 4Wd will sell their 2WD and then they will not have to switch between threads .

Just a thought

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Welchmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am with my fellow Oregonian Bman, i say we keep two threads. it would be nice to talk about the 2wd Doka's as well.

like he said, i want to play in the Syncro Doka arena, but dont have the cash.
whats the harm in having two forums?

my vote is to keep! Very Happy

Bman, love your truck!

"Further up, further in!"
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dawerks wrote:
I love 2WD Dokas. No massive premium and you can lower them!

It already looks lowered Laughing
Seriously a lift would look great and besides those "too big" bumpers it looks really nice!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jedi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started the thread and I do not care if you have 2wd Doka thread. Just don't put those stupid wannabee syncro 2WD stickers on your Dokas Laughing Have fun boys and good luck with with your Doka's VW Logo
1964 Westfalia SO33 pearl white
1965 Westfalia SO42 Velvet green
1986 Syncro Wolfram grey with black int GL
1986 Syncro Doka
1987 Syncro Sevana beige Adventurewagen
1987 syncro Sevana beige GL
1973 Pumpkin orange Thing
2 1963 Rag top bug's
1965 Manx
1970 Single cab
1971 combi
1990 Vanagon GL
2007 Audi A4 3.2L quattro
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is my best picture of my Doka in Action at the swap area BugJam almost 2 years ago.

My doka needs alot of work. It is a rust bucket that I am afraid will get worse if I drive it, but the estimate for paint and body was so expensive I can't even consider getting it painted. I will just let it sit while I collect parts. Just got new Treasure Chest Doors from a VW dealer NOS, and I am about to do the Burley Control arms to fix my camber issues, but I am afraid I have to tear this thing totally apart and hav it blasted and attempt some body work myself. If I ever find that 4th door for a conversion, I will commit fully to the body restore. I do love it though. In Florida I have never seen another one yet.

Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to be counted as 5%. Cool

Many Syncronauts own 2wd's too. Since the mission for these vehicles are often diametrically opposed, best to have a separate 2wd Doka thread.

My '88 2wd gets the least attention. So far it is about 2.5" lower in front and 1.5" in the back. H&R's with Bilstein HD's. Haven't repaired all the damage caused by DPO and subsequently by US Customs agents. I did replace the damaged from doors and added PM, PW, & PL in the process. Also converted it to Auto from 4-speed and added PS. SA big brakes actuated by a brake pedal which still has the clutch pedal next to it. Just in case I change my mind later. Haven't connected the hose to the ABA 2.0 PS pump yet. It's one of my forever projects. Steel wheels gave way to alloy wheels.

It's 16" sibling already stands about 4" taller on just stock springs. It's grown a 4th door and the 1.6TD matured into a 1.9TD. It's slow but sure footed. Alloy wheels now will give way to the original steel wheels.

So you see, they are different but the same. The 2wd guys need a place of their own.
MKIII and Sons
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love 2wd dokas as much as my syncro.
the only way i'd look down on you
is if i was in my truck and that's only because of the lift kit. Surprised
Bman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tpinthepack wrote:
This is my best picture of my Doka in Action at the swap area BugJam almost 2 years ago.

My doka needs alot of work. It is a rust bucket that I am afraid will get worse if I drive it, but the estimate for paint and body was so expensive I can't even consider getting it painted. I will just let it sit while I collect parts. Just got new Treasure Chest Doors from a VW dealer NOS, and I am about to do the Burley Control arms to fix my camber issues, but I am afraid I have to tear this thing totally apart and hav it blasted and attempt some body work myself. If I ever find that 4th door for a conversion, I will commit fully to the body restore. I do love it though. In Florida I have never seen another one yet.

Tony

Tpinthepack: good luck on your body issues, it always seems never ending. I'm curious to hear where you picked up your NOS treasure chest doors? I've seen them on the Tristar Connection ebay site, did the VW dealer have more respect for your wallet?

2WD Doka build thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=503578&highlight=
FaceHook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/VW-T3-DokaSinka/129026087217120?ref=hl
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the cost associated with syncro's, gotta luv 2wd doka's!
I have one belt in the back for the alternator and water pump!
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

syncro / non-syncro doka threads
you guys are pathetic
no wonder there's no peace in the world Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Central Syncronizer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you just join in on the syncro doka thread? Its really not a technical thread and for the most part we're just putting up pics of our rides.

cheers

http://88syncrodoka.blogspot.com/
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: One belt Reply with quote

Ya so what ,a model A and a beetle have one belt but I wouldn't want to drive it everyday.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keithwwalker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: One belt Reply with quote

So I guess you drive a Toyota crew cab then?
There is merit to simplicity.

Vwcrewman wrote:
Ya so what ,a model A and a beetle have one belt but I wouldn't want to drive it everyday.

Stacy
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That guy puts more miles on his doka yearly than anybody that I know, even myself and mine is my DD.
You guys are funny, enjoy your thread.

Don't farm out any info I have posted on the other thread though, you guys can figure it out yourselves. Now I gotta ask folks if they drive a 2wd before I offer help. Rolling Eyes
blk56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a couple pics of mine

[/img]

tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bman wrote:
I'm curious to hear where you picked up your NOS treasure chest doors? I've seen them on the Tristar Connection ebay site, did the VW dealer have more respect for your wallet?

BMAN

I got them from Rennie at the VW Dealer in LA last month. I paid less than they are listed for on that eBay site in Germany, and the shipping was 40.00 bucks. They are made in Germany, NOS. Rennie said I got the last set, but they are still available. He actually has some part numbers for other panels as well. I am going to replace my rear side panels and wheel arch if I can find new metal. I know if I blast the seam rust it will just come back. I am scared to tear the truck apart because they never seam quite right again after you put it together again. For paint I would plan on removing the Dash, All windows, Seats, Door panels, mirrors, bumpers and I am considering the suspension and the drive train so I can restore those parts while the body shop does the paint. I need to find a cheaper body guy in Florida also, the last quote I got was 12k to do body and paint, and he wanted the Doka fully apart like I mentioned when it got there. I obviously passed on that quote. I need to find a 5k or less option and I am all over it.
Tony
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Crankey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shure I'll bite

wearing the usual BBS which I have removed now to refinish/rebuild with wider rear lips

with my current Mille Miglia that I just finished refinishing (?) 17x7.5 with 55 series Blizaks for the winter, must come off soon heh.

just got a minty fresh new front bumper still in grey primer. my original was dented by an unknown at a jobsite. I will fix the dent and keep it.
I have 4 spots I need to explore the art of seam rust repair. hopefully I will find the time this summer.
Dave Becker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is mine, fitted with Porsche 16 x 7 and 8's with lowered springs, drove like a pig, so I changed it back to stock springs and factory alloys, its is nice again now. Very Happy Very Happy

With the factory alloys

A feeling experienced by Volkswagen Drivers.

Last edited by Dave Becker on Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:33 am; edited 3 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: