Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where do you store your guitar or other instrument?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Where do you store your guitar or other instrument? Reply with quote

I plan on traveling with my travel guitar this summer. I was thinking of just putting the guitar in my cabinet. Does anyone have any ingenious ideas regarding how to travel with and store an instrument?

Cheers
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take mine in a hardcase and wrap it in a blanket and throw it in the back. Not very ingenious.

VanWilder has a pic of his setup here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=417187&highlight=guitar

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This should fit in the glove box:

RISA: World's Smallest Soprano Ukulele

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you store your guitar or other instrument? Reply with quote

aguabonita wrote:
I plan on traveling with my travel guitar this summer. I was thinking of just putting the guitar in my cabinet. Does anyone have any ingenious ideas regarding how to travel with and store an instrument?

Cheers

My D-18 in its Travelite foam case gets bungeed to the ceiling in front of the push bar - it pretty much disappears. My wife's double bass goes on the driver's side wall. I cut a 'speaker' hole in the cupboard for the scroll to fit into and it rests one shoulder on a cushion and hangs from the endpin. The second guitar case goes behind the rear seat and the mandolin just rides freestyle - its a Kentucky and not gaining in value at all. Wink

At festivals the bass stands between the front seats and has a loop securing the neck to the pop-top latch. The guitar cases go upstairs and we sleep down stairs where its quieter!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Where do you store your guitar or other instrument? Reply with quote

aguabonita wrote:

Cheers

My D-18 in its Travelite foam case gets bungeed to the ceiling in front of the push bar - it pretty much disappears. My wife's double bass goes on the driver's side wall. I cut a 'speaker' hole in the cupboard for the scroll to fit into and it rests one shoulder on a cushion and hangs from the endpin. The second guitar case goes behind the rear seat and the mandolin just rides freestyle - its a Kentucky and not gaining in value at all. Wink

At festivals the bass stands between the front seats and has a loop securing the neck to the pop-top latch. The guitar cases go upstairs with the bags and we sleep down stairs where its quieter!
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SyncroGhia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much in the way of options for the Cello.

It sits in the back of either van... there isn't much room inside for practicing though Wink

This was last year when we were on holiday in the Peak District. I had an orchestra audition two weeks after so had to work!

MG
T3 Tristar Syncro 16 SOLD
T3 Tristar Syncro RHD SOLD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have cabinets... I stick the guitar, banjo, fiddle, mandos, and whatever else we decide to bring in the back over the engine for long trips, along with laptops and other electronics. Blankets go over the top of that, and pillows/sleeping bags up above the blankets. When I've got that much stuff the rear curtain is in too, since I already have to drive by mirrors. Lots of insulation, padding, and screening from prying eyes. When we're camped a a sun shade goes in the windshield and front windows, then the front seat area becomes the instrument storage area... either that or a shady area in the side tent if it's pitched. The instruments seem to stay in tune pretty well, which to me is a pretty good indication that they're not getting cooked.

I wish I had the problem of trying to figure out where to haul the double bass... not that I really need another instrument to practice! Smile

Paul
Perales
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to not let a Dobro or other resonator instrument lie flat in a vehicle. There is a danger of collapsing the cone if you hit a big bump. Keep it on it's side.
pioneer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: guitar Reply with quote

Hey: There is suitable storage for thin electric guitars,laptops,etc. in a Westy -on the upper bunk near the rear even when the top is down for traveling

'85 Porsche 911 Targa

'76 Westfalia project
edgood1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: guitar Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:
Hey: There is suitable storage for thin electric guitars,laptops,etc. in a Westy -on the upper bunk near the rear even when the top is down for traveling

My strat fits up there in its case perfectly. The les paul does not.... But I have one of those ginormous plastic cases from the 80s
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aguabonita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: guitar Reply with quote

pioneer1 wrote:

That may be my hot ticket. I was originally thinking about using or tall westy cabinet. I may give this a shot though. Gracias.
MakeFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:
Best to not let a Dobro or other resonator instrument lie flat in a vehicle. There is a danger of collapsing the cone if you hit a big bump. Keep it on it's side.

Quite true - although with most modern cones it would have to be QUITE a bump (if you are on an old biscuit cone I would be more cautious - my dobro has taken some nasty tumbles in the case with no collapse though).

I like VanWilder's idea, but only with a beater. I would go body into the cabinet with the neck/head sticking out (obviously cabinet door open). Depending on the size of the guitar, maybe the whole thing would fit in the cabinet.
Volksaholic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perales wrote:

Interesting... we don't have any resonator instruments, but that's something else that would be fun to have on the list! Smile I actually stand the instruments on their sides because it's easier to pack the van. The guitar and my mando/fiddle case go in against the back of the bench seat, followed by my son's banjo and the octave mandolin. My wife's mandolin goes toward the door, along with my Mix CF mando, my daughter's violin (don't call it a fiddle... she gets pissed!), and the baritone ukelele, if any of those are coming with us.

So, a tangential question; is anyone here going to the Grass Valley Father's Day BG festival next week? It would be fun to pick with some Sambans out there. I'm planning on setting up camp Thursday (6/16).

Paul
trailnewt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much to add except that on trips where I will be leaving the van (and guitar) unattended for long periods of time I take the old Throw-in-the-Lake guitar so I won't spend my vacation time worrying about some ne'r-do-well stealing a prized instrument out of the van at some backwoods trailhead.
Brent
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Seems like a thread for people to boast about what instruments they have Laughing .

Nothing wrong with that.

I suppose I don't worry as much about security as I should. My guitar and mando both go behind the seat. When I'm out camping they're always on the bottom of the heap so they're covered up with camping gear and out of sight.
'96 BMW R1100GS
stratmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still having a dilly of a time putting a full Marshall stack in there..
VanWilder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VanWilder has given back to me more then I could ever put into it September 22, 2010
Malama Ka `Aina—"Respect the Land"
K58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

psych-illogical wrote:
Hmmm. Seems like a thread for people to boast about what instruments they have Laughing

yeah, funny how that happens...
before you know it people will be adding instruments to their sigs along with all their rides Boo hoo! Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: