Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

86 Syncro Westy Re-Build Begins!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Vehicle for Delivery Today. Big Brakes Front!!

Scheduled Delivery:
Tuesday, 06/14/2011, By End of Day
Last Location:
Portland, OR,
Shipped/Billed On:06/13/67
Shipment Progress
Location Date Local Time ActivityWhat's This?
Portland, OR, United States 06/14/2011 1:20 A.M. Out For Delivery
06/14/2011 12:36 A.M. Arrival Scan
Fife, WA, United States 06/13/2011 9:23 P.M. Departure Scan
06/13/2011 9:18 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 06/13/2011 7:09 P.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

And I worked all night. Like I can sleep now Razz
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking up the new rockers, jack point to jackpoint both sides, tomorrow from Always Vdub.

SmallCar packed the brakes very, very well and they arrived in perfect shape. WOW o~ Monsters. I am very impressed!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and no crappy welds Razz
GW seals and such due Thursday.
Got Bentley pages for the necessary kitchen and side cabinet removal and I am stoked to learn that I also must take out the rear seat too Shocked
This is the best Fathers Day Weekend ever.....
HELP
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replacement rockers dropped off at the bodyshop yesterday. Cool They look really nice and are truly from jack point to jack point, both sides. SCORE! I forgot to take pics so will have to remember to update the thread later. Needless to say, it is kinda weird to see the rockers cut off a Vanagon in the back of your truck.

Boy howdy, this was not as easy as it looked in the Bentley. Without the help of Frankensubysyncro, the towel would have been thrown in and cabinet would have still been in the van. Shocked Before dark I took a few photos. Will take a few more later today, but, I am very happy to report....very little if any rust on the inner floor Laughing

nasty fridge vent....

got to see the inner workings of a Transmission and how a decoupler works. Thanks to Tom Lengyl teaching David how to rebuild and upgrade one of these beasts

This is his spare transmission. Kinda nice to have a spare Syncro tranny laying around.

We had to use heat and brute force to get some of the connections off. Drilling out the six screws that held the last of the propane lines going through the floor(yes, tank was already out). I even left the tank at his house......oops!

I will update this post later today with interior pics. Thanks for your help David. You are a true friend!

The find of the evening.....somebody has been in here before Shocked
Hacktacular!!! Fix it right or do not even try Twisted Evil

PS... hate me if you must, but, the fridge is going....anyone need a good working Dometic...Hit me up! I am going balls out on this and doing the mods I have envied, well, many of the mods, my PDX crowd sets the bar kinda high Smile

Ninja EDIT: BONUS

There was already a marine auxillary battery switchm but, having not checked I was not sure....bought a new kit from GW and also have a Yandina, Solar and such in the works(sometimes I hate this place Evil or Very Mad ).

Oh well, today=Good mixed with bad, but, we are still all good Wink
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feedback bishes
Question

I am certain I have fecked some things up as I am not inclined to this type of work.....

(see previous post for more. I finally took some decent pics)

I still have a pretty butt, no?

carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must say, not as bad as I thought...not the pulling the cabinets part either, Grrrrrr!

Body shop in a week. There is so much one could/can do in a situation like this, it is almost overwhelming Cool Keeping it on task with one thing at a time. Bodywork will be HUGE!
Reassembly party invites to go out soon Laughing
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be talking to myself in this thread and that is just fine with me. Will have some updated pictures of the Rockers I bought to replace the rusty sections on Monday and I will do my best to get repair in process pictures as the work is being performed.

Just ordered the HD Truck mirrors from CIP1
and if you enter coupon code JUNE you get another 10% off Dammit. Wink They were only $252 for the pair SHIPPED!
This place is a really BAD INFLUENCE Twisted Evil

Anyone wanna buy a nice set of used floppy mirrors Cool
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet buy, I have been thinking about getting those mirrors since I saw the thread saying they have them at cip1. I have wanted them for a while but haven't seen them in the US except at GW a few months ago. I would like to check them out, do they fold back like the power ones?

I see you got your water cabinet out, good job. Sound like the bodywork will start soon.

I got my transmission in but still have to do the front differential. My syncro is 2wd again until I get the diff in. I had to fix my exhaust header, it had 4 cracks in it. Also one of my front CV boots was torn.
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey,
Thanks for keeping us posted on your project. I do not envy you for having to deal with that rust, but can't wait to see your finished product. Maybe someday I'll decide to convert my 2wd to a Syncro and join the crowd. I sure wouldn't mind putting your extra Syncro tranny in mine for the low gear, after having a LSD added to it.
Rich
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankenSubySyncro wrote:
Sweet buy, I have been thinking about getting those mirrors since I saw the thread saying they have them at cip1. I have wanted them for a while but haven't seen them in the US except at GW a few months ago. I would like to check them out, do they fold back like the power ones?

I see you got your water cabinet out, good job. Sound like the bodywork will start soon.

I got my transmission in but still have to do the front differential. My syncro is 2wd again until I get the diff in. I had to fix my exhaust header, it had 4 cracks in it. Also one of my front CV boots was torn.
David, there really is no description of them on the site, but, pics look like they do pivot. I guess we will find out when we install them at your place, huh Cool There are a few people that have installed them on this thread and I will post the question. Great that you got the transmission in and you are getting it put back together. Mogfest is right around the corner and I am praying that I have my brakes installed and I am puting the finishing touches on my beast by then.

Rich, thanks for your post. The low gear would be very nice but after seeing DaveVickery at Solstice in his 2wd with LSD/TBD Peloquin in it, I wonder if you would ever need it? You ever find out anything else on that white van accident in SLC Crying or Very sad Hope all is well. I am tired of shopping and cannot wait to start puting this damn thing back together. I am really liking driving the Syncro and it really feels like a keeper.

Oh, and, FTR, that is David's Extra tranny, Frankensubysyncro. Embarassed I can only wish I had that in my stall.
Sir Sam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice job in repairing your previous westy, I've done plenty of that work before so I can appreciate the labor and time that goes into making that stuff right again.

87' Syncro + '87 Westy conversion coming soon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Welchmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff,

you're not talking to yourself, i love reading this post. one of these days i need to come over and see it in person, with a 6 pack and pick up the muffler if you still have it!

Josh

"Further up, further in!"
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welchmaster wrote:
Jeff,

you're not talking to yourself, i love reading this post. one of these days i need to come over and see it in person, with a 6 pack and pick up the muffler if you still have it!

Josh
Thanks Josh. Yeah, the muffler is still yours for the taking. Just finishing up the last minute things before dropping the van off tomorrow for body work. As an added bonus, the brake fluid reservoir in my SCab was near empty, so, I need to likely bleed and adjust the brakes on it today as it will be my modus transportus for the next couple weeks. Gifts I say, these VW's are gifts Evil or Very Mad
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Temporary derail......baby needed some loving too to be a daily driver extroardinaire...Well, having my dad in the bus for his first ride in the 57 and having the brakes no worky was a bit of a wake up call. We made it through a red light into an intersection and right into MY driveway, only to nearly miss his SL550 by inches. Thank you god. I am spread a bit too thin. I tried 3x to adjust these inferior single stage(anybodyshouldknowhowtoworkon)brakes, and, in light of the recent Barrett Jackson sale, I have made the executive decision that interjection is mandatory to protect my investment...

I followed the truck all the way to the shop, Chucks Volks Werks Foster/111th, only to be cutoff 5x by cameraphone voyeurs interested in nothing but the shot.....amazing, and, somewhat reassuring.

SINGLE STAGE BRAKES SUCK...they will be perfect...they almost were, but, then Jeff got involved. I threw in the towel......I am a better man.

This being said, bodyshop wanted another week......so, I decided to roll the '57 a click ahead. We all good Wink

DId I mention that I love my wife Very Happy

He also works on Vanagons and is very interested in installing my upgrades without my help.

I can do it, yes? Cool Laughing
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool build, I need a syncro.

BTW, those mirrors ARRE a FOOKIN good deal.

I need to build a new motor for my bus and am in the middle of finishing the body and paint work on the westy and haven't touched the upgrades so I guess I'll wait. Mad
FrankenSubySyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did the 57s not have a passenger side mirror? Those truck mirrors would look sweet on the 57 SC.
F & R lockers, decoupler, SS, 6.17 R&P
Trans Cooler
EMPI race prepped 930 CVs and axles
Bilstein coilover front, rear ProComp MX-6066R shocks, 14" hypercoil springs
30x9.5 15" BFG Muds
Custom skid plates
Nose job (custom front bumper) http://www.flickr.com/photos/subyvanagon/sets/72157624970330925/
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrankenSubySyncro wrote:
Did the 57s not have a passenger side mirror? Those truck mirrors would look sweet on the 57 SC.
in the last post of this thread is the research my friend did prior to restoring the SCab. It is a 57 Commercial model made in the last 9 days of production, July 57 as I understand. It only has one visor, had one small round mirror, and many other unique and argued about details not found in other models of the same year. The cool thing about the arguing is that EB himself verified the details so people can argue about them all they want, I believe Mr. Samba himself Cool
I agree about the truck mirrors on the SCab, but, its just so hard to deviate from stock.....I am shopping for a set of small round mirrors and will have both on it someday. When you have a truck so old and so correct, its really hard to do any upgrades like I am doing on the Syncro.

Last edited by carterzest on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MakeFast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just talked ti Chucks Volks Werks about the AC - he definitely seemed more willing than the other shops, but I know nothing about the shop - any comments/reputation for them?
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MakeFast wrote:
I just talked ti Chucks Volks Werks about the AC - he definitely seemed more willing than the other shops, but I know nothing about the shop - any comments/reputation for them?
My friend Saul Koll just had him build a motor for his SCab.....I have heard good things from the split crowd and decided to give them a shot with my SCab. Met him yesterday and should find out how much I like him in a couple hours when he calls me back Laughing I will send you a PM. I did meet him in person and he knows his stuff. Lots of vanagons at the shop. Tell him Jeffrey Carter sent you there and that he must give you a good deal......

wooo hooooo, mirrors shipped today! Maybe I will get something done on my Syncro this week Evil or Very Mad
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Edited due to Chuck being a stand up guy!

Weird on the mirrors? Did not know where they were made and thought they would be shipped from LA area....here is the tracking info

June 29, 2011 7:19 PM SEATTLE, WA US WAREHOUSE SCAN
3:20 PM SEATTLE, WA US IMPORT SCAN
1:58 PM SEATTLE, WA US PACKAGE DATA PROCESSED BY BROKERAGE. WAITING FOR CLEARANCE
09:00 AM SEATTLE, WA US ARRIVAL SCAN
01:21 AM RICHMOND, BC CA DEPARTURE SCAN
June 28, 2011 11:53 PM RICHMOND, BC CA DEPARTURE SCAN
10:02 PM RICHMOND, BC CA EXPORT SCAN
10:02 PM RICHMOND, BC CA ORIGIN SCAN
1:05 PM ANNACIS ISLAND, BC CA PICKUP SCAN
7:39 PM , CA BILLING INFORMATION RECEIVED

Last edited by carterzest on Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Welchmaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeffrey,

if i just read your last post correct , you send your 57 Scab into get the brakes fixed, which they did, but they when you drove it home, you discovered the speedo needle was broke, and over 800 miles on the odometer... aka... its a different unit?

wow

"Further up, further in!"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: