Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dropped nut down fuel pump hole!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JustBarry1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped nut down fuel pump hole!! Reply with quote

hmm yeh i had a thought about something like that since posting. wooo the power of the single consciousness.
I would not have thought of diying something though, although with me and electricity involved DIYing is a bit too close to dying.. its only 12v so what could go wrong?
I will relay my results tomorrow if anything interesting happens.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped nut down fuel pump hole!! Reply with quote

arizonabuckeye wrote:
Why not try making a DIY electro magnet with a battery a coat hanger and some copper wire? I bet using the battery in your car would make it strong enough to get the bolt for sure and might even pull iron specs out of your oil!

I'm thinking a car battery with a copper wire simply coiled around some metal and connected to the terminals would short the battery to ground and melt, burn, or shock something or someone. So wait until someone knowledgeable about this can comment.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
JustBarry1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped nut down fuel pump hole!! Reply with quote

well nothing interesting, i spent ten mins wiggling my telescopic magnetic retriever around before I broke it, I taped the end onto a length of twin core cable and poked that around..nothing. The nut went in there, that's for sure.
I ordered a new flexible skinny magnetic retriever and a USB camera rod for a grand total of £10 from ebay...
The retriever arrived today and it pokes around better, but I still cant catch the nut, I've still not even felt it.
Fingers crossed the USB camera will arrive soon and I'll see where the nut is.
I googled electromagnets and its not such a crazy idea.

Where should i be aiming for?
In the hole, an inch towards cylinder 3 and down, seems to get in there about 6".
In the hole, an inch right towards cylinder 2 and down seems to get in there about 6".
In the hole, a couple of inch right and towards cylinder 1 and down seems to get in there about 6".
arizonabuckeye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped nut down fuel pump hole!! Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
arizonabuckeye wrote:
Why not try making a DIY electro magnet with a battery a coat hanger and some copper wire? I bet using the battery in your car would make it strong enough to get the bolt for sure and might even pull iron specs out of your oil!

I'm thinking a car battery with a copper wire simply coiled around some metal and connected to the terminals would short the battery to ground and melt, burn, or shock something or someone. So wait until someone knowledgeable about this can comment.

Yes - I was joking about the car battery part. You can do this - effectively - with a smaller battery. 9v are easy to use, you just make sure to coil the wire from one end to the other and not overlap. I've done it with screwdrivers and other wire but nothing quite as long as a wire hanger. If the 9v isn't strong enough you can probably safely step up to one of the larger flashlight batteries.
JustBarry1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped nut down fuel pump hole!! Reply with quote

I ended up taking the engine out so I could get the alternator stand off for better access... Still couldn't find the nut. I took off the oil pump expecting to see into the case lol, I've only seen photos of what's in the front of the case so it's been frustrating prodding about.
So I was looking into the alternator stand hole and daylight was shining through the oil pump hole.. I noticed there was a gap between the inside of the case and what I thought was a ledge dividing top and bottom. I stuck my magnetic rod in to see if it would fit through this gap.. Nope, I pulled the rod out and the nut was on the end of it Laughing I was well shocked but relieved.

I found a weeping fuel leak while the engine was out, so Alls good in the end and I got to know my bus a bit better.

Oh yeh... For anyone repeating..
I went in the alternator hole and headed for the oil pump.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped nut down fuel pump hole!! Reply with quote

JacksHere wrote:
daylight was shining through the oil pump hole. I noticed there was a gap between the inside of the case and what I thought was a ledge dividing top and bottom. I stuck my magnetic rod in to see if it would fit through this gap.. Nope, I pulled the rod out and the nut was on the end of it Laughing I was well shocked but relieved.

Jack - that's amazing !!! I didn't know there was actual daylight in England !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
JustBarry1972
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped nut down fuel pump hole!! Reply with quote

Cool once in a blue moon
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropped nut down fuel pump hole!! Reply with quote

JacksHere wrote:
Cool once in a blue moon

You can see the moon through the clouds ???
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: