Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

water pump-- any preference?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crowinghen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: water pump-- any preference? Reply with quote

So I'm going to buya spare water pump for Butters since our recent coolant leaking experience. I ordered one from Busdepot along with the hoses they carry... but now I'm wondering if there is any major difference beween manufacturers? I can get a Bosch one from Rock auto for about the same price as the "german" one from BD... just wondering if anyone has positive or neg experiences either way.
thanks!

Susie
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosch doesn't make Vanagon water pumps. They may be rebranding someone else's pump, which is very possibly not German made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have trouble buying anything for my vans at a FLAPS store, but that's just me. I think you need to buy from a vendor or import store that specializes in quality parts. We're lucky here in Portland to have many local sources to choose from.
justcairns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine from autohausAZ. Free shipping on orders over $50. Smile Wasn't in a big hurry so arrived about a week later. German made HEPU. Of course I didn't get any cookies Sad but enjoy patronizing vendors that partcipate on the Samba. Bus Depot has even discounted shipping charges. I just enjoy spreading the wealth around!1.9 84 vanagon gl
stan0matic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a "German" one 'cause that's what they had in stock at my euro parts place down the road. Had a helluva time getting both bolts in one one of those pipes that hook up to the pump body. Eventually pulled the pump to compare with the dead one. Same same except on dead pump there were nice little chamfers at the top of each thread. On the new pump it was just thread from the very start. Ran a tap down each thread and a chamfer with a pen knife and it worked like a treat! Whatever pump you pick up may I recommend this to you you, it would've saved me a coupla hours if I had've done it first up.
Also, do you get sore in the back of ther knees from working on your bus, or am I just getting old?

Triso
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: