Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Bay Window one year only list FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: 1972 westfalia tire cover Reply with quote

1972 Westfalia one year only tire cover?
Did this tire cover only come on 72's?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you
Tcash
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

72s were still vinyl mustard interior.
the 73s were the 1 year mustard yellow cloth
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kevin11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

first year for the hanging ears on the transaxle. Makes it easy for a 6 rib swap and 2.0 install!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rebel1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

One year only Australian colour Avocado Green
rebel1968
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

72 ckd mplate in 68-70 format
no m codes
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

72vwtype2 wrote:
1st year of VW not importing Single Cabs or Double Cabs to North America

To be clear, 1972 was the first year that the US applied a 25% tariff on German-made "trucks", including pickups and panel vans. This is in effect still today. Sad Stupid protectionist politics...

This put a serious damper on imports, but it was not VW's doing. But you could always and can still import them to the US, if you are willing to pay the tariff.

VW trucks were (and are) still imported to Canada, which is part of North America. Mexico never imported German-made vehicles, as they could not be registered in Mexico. Well, there was this one single cab... Wink
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

I thought it was earlier as I remember Dad grumbling about it in 67. I had other things on my mind, like 1A, though.

On edit - actually, it was well before 67 - early 60s?
babysnakes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

What is the deal with the turn signal switch? The Bentley shows a 5 wire switch, my '72 has a 5 wire switch, I have been searching for a bit over an hour now and found others mentioning 5. Recently looking for one in the classifieds several have been called 7 wire '72 switch. A well respected/trusted Sambanista found one for me that also has 7 wires. I cannot find a 7 wire switch in the Bentley. But.....I also found out how to make a 69-71 switch work so no big deal. I'm just curious at this point. What's da deal wit de 7 wire?
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
72vwtype2 wrote:
1st year of VW not importing Single Cabs or Double Cabs to North America

To be clear, 1972 was the first year that the US applied a 25% tariff on German-made "trucks", including pickups and panel vans. This is in effect still today. Sad Stupid protectionist politics...

This put a serious damper on imports, but it was not VW's doing. But you could always and can still import them to the US, if you are willing to pay the tariff.

VW trucks were (and are) still imported to Canada, which is part of North America. Mexico never imported German-made vehicles, as they could not be registered in Mexico. Well, there was this one single cab... Wink

this was the "chicken tax!" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_tax

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

for the oil bath air cleaner, are there two compartments in the bottom of the bowl? I'd rather not pull mine and can't really see if the two compartments share the oil in the bottom, or does oil just go in the middle portion?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

Just one oil reservoir, it's a king sized version of what you find on a bug with a split outlet.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

so when I place oil in, and it overflows out the side,... I've added too much? thought it was a 1/4 of a litre? I thought maybe I should have only filled the middle portion, but did the closest to the outside (easiest access)
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
......... it overflows out the side,...

Ooooooh, somethings wrong. the oil goes in the middle of the pot up to the lip around the bottom, there's usually a red line painted where the level should be.

Take it out and do it on the ground, it's not really all that much work to get out of there aside from reaching the lower clips.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/72bus.php

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

I guess that may be why it has puddles under it still. Took it out without reading this post and there's oil inside and out of the centre. Out it comes again. ;(
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

Almost stock again!
Terminatez
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

Are the engine carrier hangers only for 72? Can the later 73+ be used in a 72? Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

Terminatez wrote:
Are the engine carrier hangers only for 72? Can the later 73+ be used in a 72? Thanks

8/71 to 79 are all interchangeable.

Слава Україні!
wdollie6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:43 am    Post subject: 72 Westy, Engine Access Reply with quote

After jacking up the rear end of Fat Boy to address a stripped out Bowden Tube Bracket stud (still not addressed Evil or Very Mad ) I inadvertently discovered what BD points out below, working on the 72 only, hatch less engine setup is not that difficult when the bus is up in the air a foot or so. I had moved from the Bowden Tube issue to an adjustment on the accelerator cable (wasn't getting full throttle) and realized that something was different, I could actually reach and put my head in to see what I was doing with minimal back and neck pain, wow, huge improvement!

Not sure why I never tried this before, duh, but wow what a difference, all trepidation related to engine work is now gone. Take the couple of minutes necessary to jack it up and engine work is much simpler and easier on the back and neck, especially as an oversized individual.

If anyone has any pointers as to how to repair the stripped out Bowden Tube bracket mount while in the car the info would be appreciated. Hoping to end my chattering while starting out in first gear, once and for all.

busdaddy wrote:
Volktales wrote:
I used to really dislike the 1972's for their very poor access to the carbs without an internal hatch. I told everyone there is no way I would ever own a '72 because of this... Then I went to a garage sale and came home with a '72 campervan.... Wifey was impressed... Anyway I ended up doing a full restoration on what turned out to be a Canadian spec Dorper conversion. And of course now I love the '72 but still hate working on the engine, especially with the gas heater jammed up against the left carb (just like Busdaddy's in the picture).

Yes that is a 73/74 fan and shroud on that one, the correct parts are going on it soon Wink
As for your Dorper we demand photos!, here's how: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6 , best you start your own thread.
3 minutes to jack the back of the bus up a foot and a rolling shop stool makes engine work painless on a 72 BTW. 68-71 nose vent screens are black plastic with fiberglass reinforcement just like the later ones, after 40+ years all that remains is the fiberglass in the areas where the sun gets at it so it could look like metal I guess.

1972 Westy, Sierra Yellow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

A set of ramps made out of wood, and kept inside, can boost you up that foot a\ lot easier and safer than jacking of course. The ABS ones are great , too. I have to level a BMW transmission every two years so I bought a set of four. That even gets me enough room to do muffler work,
crownline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Bay one year only list Reply with quote

My 1972 one year only option. Didn't they all come this way?
Laughing Wink

"It"s got some dings and dents and neither of us is going to SEMA."(Update, I went to SEMA in 2019 but the Bus stayed home)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-8446.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: