Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Bay Window one year only list FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: front splash pan is different too, I guess Reply with quote

nathansnathan wrote:
Old dkp driver pm'd me with a front splash pan he'd found on a 72 kombi. Mine didn't have one on when I got it, and I've never checked, but I think this might be a 72 only part. When I fix the dent I've put in mine, I'm thinking of welding shut the inspection hole.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

as compared to the later.

Anyone know for sure if 73 had the inspection hole?

72 Westy (Original owner) here...splash pan on 72 came with inspection hole. Some brake items were 1 year only as well.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: 72 inspection pan Reply with quote

The inspection pan without the larger hole was from a 72 Kombi.And since
i too own a 72 Kombi i noticed right away that the pan was odd compared
to what i have seen in the past.
So,there must be at least 4 different styles Plus 1968 models.
brandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at long lost 72 out on the Navajo Reservation today. Nice except for the big dent in the nose and pass door. Little rust. No engine.

I'm more of a 78 guy what parts would work for me?

Trans? CVs? Starter? I'm thinking spares

Maybe I'll post it in the Bus Hunting thread but I don't plan to bring it home. At least not at the moment.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brandt wrote:
I looked at long lost 72 out on the Navajo Reservation today. Nice except for the big dent in the nose and pass door. Little rust. No engine.

I'm more of a 78 guy what parts would work for me?

Trans? CVs? Starter? I'm thinking spares

Maybe I'll post it in the Bus Hunting thread but I don't plan to bring it home. At least not at the moment.

trans is different, cvs might work. the wheels interchange. thats about all i can think of, but im tired. Laughing

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a 72 bus motor in the classifieds, judging by the aircleaner and the coil bracket (bent over, but it's there). -looks remarkably complete. It's interesting to see the ac pump attached with the bracket, too.

I'd love to see, like busdaddy's 72 motor, all nice, on a stand.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1449634

BTW, does anyone know what white numbers would have been painted on the tin of a CB code engine?
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

72 was last year for the metal painted timing ring. If it wasn't for the 72, there would be no later models!
450, 000 miles and still going-72 Deluxe!
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the moustache bar, on the end, is that different? Mine doesn't have that, but mine is bastardized bad. -Those little nubs, like a slot? Anyone know?
Sloride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 72 doesn't have a moustache bar like that one^^^^

Link to the engine swap:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=565304&highlight=

1964 Ruby Red Beetle

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=705757&highlight=ruby+red
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shiningstar76
Samba Brewer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread for reference. Although it looks like I'll need a 72 parts bus.
My bus caught on fire and is now on the other coast with someone who gave me money for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloride wrote:
My 72 doesn't have a moustache bar like that one^^^^

Here's another 72 motor that has the "nubs". I wonder if it's a early 72/ late 72 thing. This one is from a deluxe, but I'm not sure of the vintage. I hope I will know soon actually, as I think that I've bought this pile of 72 goodness Dancing Hopefully going to pick it up in like 2 weeks. Smile

old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: engine carrier Reply with quote

Nathan,That engine carrier is from a 411/412 and pretty odd to be on a
carbed engine.? But then again. perhaps they were installed on the 8/71
early model bus' .as long as the other 4 bolt holes are there then,thats all that really matters.

but you do have alot of good Stuff there!!

Chris

Last edited by old DKP driver on Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
fusername
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have about 8 rear engine supports, never seen a tab like that before.

FORSALE: Thrust cut T4 and 1.9 main bearings
obnoxiousblue wrote:
Maybe Ben Pon's ghost comes and vomits NOS stampings for your bus, but not mine!
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes, the bar is 72 only, i'm pretty sure, later ones went to solid ends. Just remembered, the clutch and disc are 210 mm, later went to 215 ( 215mm disc will fit '72 210mm flywheel, but they are much less expensive than a 210mm disc, if you can find a 210! ).
Not sure when this changed, but I noticed on some body work threads on later models, the slider door cover on '72's has a long chrome countersunk screw through the 'C' pillar to hold the front of the slider cover with an 8mm nut, and later went to no screw. It looks like one of the screws that hold on the tail light lenses or front turn signal lenses, only it is about 3 inches long. Unfortunately , mine broke years ago.
Next is that later models went to a wider pitch "wood" or "plastic" type thread on the screws that hold the tail light bezels on. My '72 has/had a machine thread, maybe 4-5mm with 0.5 mm pitch??, and a metal insert in the bulb mount. These are also getting hard to find as the og grey plastic of the bulb holders is now crumbling and the metal inserts are pulling out with too much force used in the past.
Also, the e- brake bar in the rear drum is '72 only. OG was a 2 piece, welded and split bar to the lever with a special rivet and clip.
Shift rod was also 3 piece, later was 2.
NoBudgetVWGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went out and looked at mine and took a couple of picks.

Do those tangs get used when installed on the bus? I took mine off a while back and don't remember.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tangs don't seem to be for anything special, except maybe that it was easier to produce them that way at the time. Too small to do much.
Has anyone mentioned the rear bumper gravel guard? Who came up with that idea? I see no valid reason for it, except to get in the way. I think I strill have mine buried in storage
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: engine crossbar Reply with quote

The 411/412 uses 8mm adjustment bolts for engine height and the 'tangs'
support the Verticle bolts.

each side has a bolt and 2 nuts to lower or raise the engine.
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1967250s wrote:
Ah, yes, the bar is 72 only, i'm pretty sure, later ones went to solid ends. Just remembered, the clutch and disc are 210 mm, later went to 215 ( 215mm disc will fit '72 210mm flywheel, but they are much less expensive than a 210mm disc, if you can find a 210! ).
Not sure when this changed, but I noticed on some body work threads on later models, the slider door cover on '72's has a long chrome countersunk screw through the 'C' pillar to hold the front of the slider cover with an 8mm nut, and later went to no screw. It looks like one of the screws that hold on the tail light lenses or front turn signal lenses, only it is about 3 inches long. Unfortunately , mine broke years ago.
Next is that later models went to a wider pitch "wood" or "plastic" type thread on the screws that hold the tail light bezels on. My '72 has/had a machine thread, maybe 4-5mm with 0.5 mm pitch??, and a metal insert in the bulb mount. These are also getting hard to find as the og grey plastic of the bulb holders is now crumbling and the metal inserts are pulling out with too much force used in the past.
Also, the e- brake bar in the rear drum is '72 only. OG was a 2 piece, welded and split bar to the lever with a special rivet and clip.
Shift rod was also 3 piece, later was 2.

That is cool to know about the support bar. Seems it was only very early 72. Cool, though.

Mine was built 10/71, 2 months into production. I remember my tail light housings to be held on by nuts and washers, the (maybe 4 or 5mm) threads being cast into the plastic housings. I swapped out the grey part with replacements long ago, seemed the same.

I think this is the parking brake thing you mention. I remember having quite a time figuring that out to fix this one that got damaged from that bolt there which is supposed to be the rivet clip, as you say. The rivet clip is pretty important as the back of the lower is all worn from rubbing. I did eventually find one at a junkyard. I remember taking off a lot of drums in a pile of assemblies. Rolling Eyes

I didn't know that about the shift rod either. Thanks for posting this. Very Happy
nathansnathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1967250s wrote:
The tangs don't seem to be for anything special, except maybe that it was easier to produce them that way at the time. Too small to do much.
Has anyone mentioned the rear bumper gravel guard? Who came up with that idea? I see no valid reason for it, except to get in the way. I think I strill have mine buried in storage

72 was the first year of the gravel gaurd, though it was supposedly on all buses after through 78, the hole pattern was different on the 72 because it was the only one to go on a round bumper. I think it is just aesthetic. I feel naked without mine. Laughing Someone dented mine a few months ago in the parking ramp at work, but it is straightened out, my primer is now multicolored. Rolling Eyes

The engine lid is early 72 only, the short brow. I'm a big fan of the short brow engine lid.

CoastalAirCooledVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1967250s wrote:

My 72 bus came with one and the reason I like it is because it hides the muffler and makes the bus look more "deluxe".
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="1967250s"]Ah, yes, the of
Mine was built 10/71, 2 months into production. I remember my tail light housings to be held on by nuts and washers, the (maybe 4 or 5mm) threads being cast into the plastic housings. I swapped out the grey part with replacements long ago, seemed the same.

Hiya Nathan? I'm real curious what your vin # is, if you'd share? Mine was also made in 10/71. Mine is 2046370- deluxe, bench front seat, transporter, elm green and white top-L60d and L90d. Originally sold in Coos Bay, OR.
Also, how is the engine lid different? Not sure what you mean by short brow?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9

Jump to: