Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Sliding Door Mechanism
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
force3g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: 1970 Sliding Door Mechanism Reply with quote

I read the sticky and consulted with Bentley. The initial problem is I am unable to pull the outside slider handle up. It goes down and opens the door fine. The rear latch is not engaging. I have removed the entire mechanism and believe that I see the problem.

My question is would executing the adjustment detailed in Bentley solve my problem? The adjustment is on page 23, 5.15 and has you insert screws to adjust the rods. I just don't want to cause bigger issues if this adjustment won't fix the problem.

Here is the rear mechanism (part # 211 843 604B). Notice how the Lever hits the stop. I believe this is keeping the rear from latching.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I believe this is what should happen. The lever clears the stop allowing the latch to engage. Do you thing the problem is that the upper rod is out of adjustment?

1970 Westy
2010 Jetta
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just recently fixed a similar problem but it was on a 1971 bus. The part changed in 1971 and I believe was used through 1974

The difference is the 1970 uses two control rods and the 1971-1974 uses a control rod along with a sheathed cable. I'm sure that the function is similar though.

My problem was that when the door was in half lock the handle could not be used to "suck" the rear of the door into full lock position. I removed the inner door panel and found this

The entire control rod was missing. Once I removed the rear latch I found out why. It had a broken lever.

So in my case the answer was to purchase a new rear latch along with a control rod. I did the rig per the bentley and was able to make the door work as it should.

In your case I need to ask. When the door is in half lock and you pull up on the lever does it at least try and suck in the rear of the door? If so, then making the rod shorter should help. If not then I'd look for a broken part. Make sure everything is clean and lubed well. With the door popped open you can manually latch the rear lock into half or full lock and use the lever to open it or pull it into full lock.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the sticky
Which Sticky?

This one?
68-73 Sliding Door+Directions+Operating+Operation+Using
force3g
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
I read the sticky
Which Sticky?

This one?
68-73 Sliding Door+Directions+Operating+Operation+Using

No not that one. This one...

TECH TIPS
*** BAY WINDOW FAQS/Sticky ***
Sliding Door Link, ratwell.com

1970 Westy
2010 Jetta
Inside Line Competition
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Sliding Door Mechanism Reply with quote

Not to wake this from the dead, but I JUST went through this on an early ('70 Campmobile) Bay.

After changing the sliding door deal and reinstalling the door, the lock refused to work. After hours of reading, trying different things, and utilizing the Bentley procedure, I figured it out...

Bentley wants you to align the holes for the M4 fasteners and then set it, but when things are 50+ years old the procedure DOES not work.

Instead, tension the latching rod (upper of the two) 1/2 the alignment hole forward (I had to physically shorten the rod to do this). Otherwise, the worn door parts will "overshoot" and run into that detent.

Since early Bay repop door locks and latch mechanisms aren't common, this was a simple solution accomplished with a hacksaw and an M6x0.75 tap (for the rod).

I took about 7mm off the rod, and it worked fantastic!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: