Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dying the vinyl top
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
eaker02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:52 am    Post subject: dying the vinyl top Reply with quote

Has anyone dyed, painted, changed colors of their vinyl top i.e from white ti black?
Got the Thing at the body shop and getting ready to paint it.
The PO installed a white top and tried to make it look like an Acapulco Thing. so the outside it blue/white, inside is cherry red from another PO and original under the hood and trunk is pepper white.

If I go back original, then white on white wouldn't look right. Thought about just going Orange or Green, but a lot of painting, inside, under hoods, exterior, etc. but a white top wouldn't be bad
Any ideas would be appreciated. experiences
thanks
Ron
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compared to body painting, changing the color off a top is much easier so get the body color where you want it. There are some special vinyl paints available. I'm guessing just like any paint or dye job it's all in the prep. Gotta make sure that new color will adhere to the existing substrate. The top does get a good bit of flexing when folding up and down. I'm sure you'll lose some sort of the exisiting "texture" on the top with a paint as well. Don't forget you'll have to do the curtains.

Thre are several member of this forum that hae dealt with vinyl paints. I'm sure they'll chime in shortly.

I have a white top. It looks good on my non-stock color (black) car. Not very practical up here in the Northwest. It tends to develop a black mold that needs to be scrubbed off every now and then.

Sometime in the future I'm planning to do a body color change. Most likely a Tan or Khaki. The top and curtains will change as well. Most likely a saddle or black.
eaker02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply. I almost thought going with a khaki color as well, it would look good with the white top, haven't totally ruled it out yet.

It's almost, r just paint it a color that I like or do I want to go original for re-sale value, it that even matters.
If I go with a single stage paint, any idea how many gallons would do exterior, under hoods and inside, 1 or 2?
thanks

Ron
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what I like most about the 181 is that you can make it anyThing (pun intended) you want. It's a clean slate. Take it to YOUR flavor. Unless you're doing some serious hackage then it all looks good.

I tend to fall into the "keep it looking stock" side of the house. However, that being said, I don't mind adding some personal touches to my car. Unless you're going for factory look I don't think color really matters. My original color was yellow but the PO painted it black sometime back. I'd never take it back to yellow. Kinda depends on what you want your car to say. If you looking for whimsical then the orange or yellow looks good. White or green takes on a more conservative theme. My favorite non-stock color is Tallman's "stone-grey". It has a very distinguished and refined look to it.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not dye a top. Seats maybe, side curtains yes. The top is exposed more than any thing else and gets folded. If you do decide to dye the top I use SEM products. Most all paint stores sell this. Get the cleaner and primer also.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eaker02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Semper Dad is the link below look like the Tallman's Stone-Gray that you mentioned?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vw_181_v_sst.jpg

thanks
Ron
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eaker02 wrote:
Semper Dad is the link below look like the Tallman's Stone-Gray that you mentioned?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vw_181_v_sst.jpg

thanks
Ron

Take a look in his gallery

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=tallman206
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: