Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Power Mirror Refurbishment and Installation
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not much of a fan of "no you can't," so I got crackin' on my lunch today...here is what I have learned so far:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Let me tell you what you are looking at. The bottom layer of this sandwich is the black plastic, and inside that is a metal plate. I don't know much about electrical, but the technology appears pretty simple here...a positive is connected to one end and the negative to the other, and the metal heats up. So far, that metal plate is still in perfect condition, but I am not through yet.

On top of the metal, there appears to be an adhesive, which seems like a very thin piece of vinyl with adhesive on both sides (the white material). You really have to get in there and "pry" off the glass, this adhesive is what you are working against. Stuck to that is the reflective surface (which looks maroon colored), and on top of that is the glass.

I carefully stuck a flat screwdriver in between the glass and the plastic and "popped" out a piece - the glass broke, and I removed the piece from the backing. That allowed me to see what was on the bottom side (the metal plate). I have complete confidence I can remove the glass and adhesive layer without damaging anything. Cutting a piece to fit this may be difficult, so I will likely buy that piece from VC (Stacey's stock I am guessing). This is not exactly a "delicate" machine, so go forth with confidence!

You may scratch the metal a bit, but this is not a problem. There is a 1/4" rubber seal around the perimeter to be careful with, but otherwise this looks doable. It looks dicked up now but mine (and yours) will look very clean once all is removed...I will post a pic once I have completely removed everything.

**EDIT**
I forgot to mention that a simple twist of the tab located just behind the mirror (on the side) allowed me to release the glass and plastic holder from the mirror housing.
**EDIT**

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Geez, and one more thing...any opinions on a clean mount? I am guessing these require some new holes, perhaps a gasket as well?

Mount the mirror in place and mark the third hole using the mirror as a guide. Remove the mirror and drill hole. Use a flat washer behind the panel and a nylox nut and you are good to go.
I have been running this on my truck for years and it has even taken being slammed to the body a several times on the trails when branches reached out without and have had no issues. It even survived when a Chevy truck got too close oncoming at 25 MPH and the mirrors hit, luckily the glass survived as both mirrors are the breakaway design and they just closed to the body.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: