Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The East Coast to 2012 OCTO BD Caravan
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:18 am    Post subject: The East Coast to 2012 OCTO BD Caravan Reply with quote

As many of you BD owners know, or may soon know, there is a BD get together at the 2012 Octo...I will post the link below......well seeing as how the whole West Coast BD community is getting amped up about this event, I thought maybe us BD owners on the East Coast can try to get together and make a big showing at this BD get together/Octo......
the idea is to start planning a caravan to So Cal, ideally it will start with Iggy and his deluxe in Miami, me with 2 deluxes out of Jupiter, the guys from Central Florida, BulletBus from Panama City...etc.......the guys from up and down the East Coast would meet up with us at a pre determined location and head West..
We would then pick people up along the trip West and roll into So Cal with as many BDs as posible....I think if we plan this out correctly, we can do this in style...I will provide a support vehicle ( a Ford F350) with a 5th wheel 3 car trailer and a driver.... we all can chip in and provide extra engines, extra parts, tools, a compressor, a generator, and all the other shit that we may need for this trip.......
These are just ideas right now, the purpose of this thread is to get all of us involved and put forth ideas.......I think we can make this an event to remember.......feedback please..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=468454&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

we (klassicfab) make the funky green panels...........

Last edited by Gerson on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:59 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Wishing I had a BD. Will be following this thread over the next 12months.

https://vimeo.com/67661950
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Barndoor Mafia
Il Capo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AWESOME!! Thanks for the effort and ideas Gerson. This may well be an international gathering as well ......... rumors has it Canadian Barndoors & Brits are talking about coming over!!??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can one caravan even if it's just and older bus and not a Barndoor?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hell yeah, everyone is welcomed

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BlastMasterMannyFresh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if all the chips fall into place, I'm in
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you have a year to MAKE the chips fall into place.... Very Happy Very Happy

BulletBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool Gerson. I'm in for at least a set of 5 16" wheels as spares for whoever will be running a stock setup. That's just a start though. I'll come up with more support/ideas for sure. I think we can come up with at least 5 buses for the trip all together. Anyway, I'm standing by...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ricekooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I've got a year to find a barndoor...
GarryA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to tag along in a Binz and/or a turbo DD.
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice!!!, I can provide the support vehicle with a driver, the 3 car trailer, probably a 1600 engine, my tool box, a good attitude and shitload of beer...
Bubba and I were talking about maybe getting a deal on transport for the trip back, maybe getting a deal on a complete car hauler so that people will not have to drive their buses back.....have them shipped to a neutral spot like Jacksonville.....you guys know that drive back will not be fun.....

UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ricekooker wrote:
Cool. I've got a year to find a barndoor...

actually, you have a month to find one. it will take you another month before you get it to your place, then 9 and a half months to get it to where it's driveable, then a week or so to get out there.... Laughing

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RAMZROD
Hammered™ Apparel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerson, sounds like a great idea! Do you have a time table as to when departure and return will be yet? I'd like to join in but need to take the time off well in advance from work. I figure like 2 weeks?

looking for vintage plate frame from Ramsey, NJ
Bus Build Page
http://www.hammeredapparel.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking we could leave the Sunday before the Classic, barring any HUGE problems, we could roll into the So Cal sometime on Thursday night or Friday mid day.......if we need to leave earlier we can leave on the Saturday before the Classic.......once there, and we do the whole weekend thing.....we kind of have to discuss what each person involved wants to do.........I will send my buses back to Florida on the support vehicle/trailer......if we can arrange cheap transport back, the other buses can head east on the car hauler.....these are things we need to talk about and come to an agreement on........like I said, whoever want to get involved should post of this thread and make hi/her opinions known.......

RAMZROD
Hammered™ Apparel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So your planning the return trip at non-bus speed. Laughing Basically a one-way drive and fly back?

looking for vintage plate frame from Ramsey, NJ
Bus Build Page
http://www.hammeredapparel.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that would be best, I think just the thought of driving back from Cali after all of the weekend's events would be fucking terrible..... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy I would suggest driving there, do the weekend's events, turn the bus over to the transporter, and fly back....then arrange to get your vehicle from an agreed upon location on the East Coast, maybe Jacksonville.......

mpribanic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Approximate mileage from Jax to L.A. Is 2432 miles. OCTO is in Anaheim and would probably add a few more miles to that. The drive and fly back is a great idea. There are some big car carrier companies based in Jax I can call to see if they would consider something like this...Centurion hauls all the Lexus and Toyotas that come into Jaxport.

https://vimeo.com/67661950
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be great Mark, maybe we can start to get some hard numbers on costs.......I spoke with Bubba, he says he might know a company that can handle this for a descent price....he can chime in and let us know......

Last edited by Gerson on Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
GarryA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us may give you a few days head start and then catch up to you mid way. Very Happy
Another thought is to take the scenic route on the way back. This may be an option for individuals to split from the pack and do there own thing. There are lots of great National Parks out there that that beg to be visited by VWs.
Ask yourself, how many times will you and your splitty be in the west?
Great opportunity to do something that you will never forget.

If you need inspiration check out the last link in my signature. Wink
Gerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great idea, that is a great option for the guys who want to drive back...... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Shows/Events/Camping/Clubs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: