Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Intake Manifold Leak
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
destrobeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Intake Manifold Leak Reply with quote

Hello all,
1972 SB here with dual webbers and a 009. It was running crappy last week after a couple of freeway rides - stumbling at driving speed around 2500 RPMS. I heard ticking too so I decided to do a low level "tune up". Valve adjustment, timing, new fuel filters. In attempting to set the timing I broke my distributer clamp so I am waiting for a new one. Dang.

My question is - Is it normal for spark to be jumping out of the distributer base to the crank case when moving the distributor to time. I only notice it happening when moving. My gut is saying no good but I want to make sure before throwing parts at it. Condenser failing? bad distributer? Is this potentially causing my stumbling issue?

I should note that the PO said that the points and condenser were done last fall along with a slew of other things but I am not totally sure of this. Wires were supposedly done too but I think that of the 4 there are three different brands/types. Points do look good though I haven't had a chance to check the gap yet.

At some point I would like to replace the 009 with a vac advance but now is not that time.

Once again your help is appreciated!

Last edited by destrobeetle on Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Spark down distributor Shaft Reply with quote

destrobeetle wrote:
My question is - Is it normal for spark to be jumping out of the distributer base to the crank case when moving the distributor to time. I only notice it happening when moving. My gut is saying no good but I want to make sure before throwing parts at it. Condenser failing? bad distributer? Is this potentially causing my stumbling issue?

The spark jumping from the distributor to the case shouldn't happen ever.

It may be the insulator on the condensor isn't insulating, the solder broke on the braided wire on the breaker plate, or a bad condenser/coil connection.

I could give you a hand with it this weekend, either Saturday evening or Sunday, if you'd like.
I can bring over some spare 009 stuff I have lying around.
Give me a call.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
destrobeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett, thanks for the offer.
Aside from Friday night this weekend is really bad for me with Fathers day and all. We are also attending Rock the Garden on saturday. Present from my wife. Awesome one at that!

I'll take a look at the whole assembly tonight and see if I see anything obvious is amiss. If you had some time on Friday eve I would buy BEER!

Thanks again!
HRVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Smile Smile Smile Now thats what I would call a helping hand from someone close by and FREE beer to boot.
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to pass up the chance to wrench on a VOLKSWAGEN TYPE 3 and drink BEER, but
I've already committed to helping a friend with his "volkswagen" (Rabbit) and drinking "beer" (probably PBR) this Friday
So, Friday's not going to work for me.
How does your Monday look?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
destrobeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually monkeying around tonight in the dark and saw no wild spark. Not sure what that was about. I timed by listening instead of trying to figure out 30°BTDC a 3000 RPM with the light and things sound pretty good. Knock/tap is a lot less pronounced - maybe even gone? Can't test drive because of the damn distributor clamp so I'm not totally sure if my woes are cured. Popping seems to be gone in higher RPMs but I have a sneaking suspicion that it wasn't warm enough to produce the same results.

Brett, do you have a carb sync? Thinking that the carbs aren't doing exactly what they are supposed to be doing on top of timing, valves, etc.

Monday might work and if my part comes I might even be able to come to you with beer.
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully, the errant spark was only a fluke. I'd investigate further, though. That's not really something you'd want to write off as a freak occurance.

I have a carb synch and stethoscope, tach/dwell meter, timing light, and A/F meter.

Timing by ear is a bad idea.
It may sound good and run well, but may be too far advanced.
I've blown one engine since I started driving aircooled VWs, and it was probably because I timed it by ear. Embarassed

The red mark in this photo is 30*BTDC, Your pulley may or may not have the same timing marks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

destrobeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know. I will reset with the light then.
Thanks for the pic. Mine does not have any other marks that I can see aside from the standard. With the light I was putting it a little more than an inch the other direction of the timing marks. Doh!
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

destrobeetle wrote:
Good to know. I will reset with the light then.
Thanks for the pic. Mine does not have any other marks that I can see aside from the standard.

Originally, they only had the notches in the puley to set the timing.
I added that red mark.

Quote:
With the light I was putting it a little more than an inch the other direction of the timing marks. Doh!

I''m sure it sounded pretty good, too.
The trouble arises when you put a load on it with the timing that far advanced.
It will melt the pistons in short order.
destrobeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 4:31 pm    Post subject: Intake Manifold Leak Reply with quote

I think I have more going on I guess. I tried timing last night and I am getting intermittent pops with it at 3000 rpm and timed to the mark that you showed in the above photo. I sprayed starting fluid around the intake mani and the rpms increase on both sides. The air cleaners that I have on there have ports on the bottom that look like are supposed to be hooked up to something. They are just open. I guess Im not totally sure if starting fluid is rising up and getting sucked up in those. I'm going to block those off and try again.

Can I tighten the manifold bolts without removing the carb and linkage assembly? Looks pretty darn tight in there?
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the car is brand new to you I'd recommend taking the carburetors and manifolds off this time! You might have the wrong metal sandwich style gaskets that will always leak. Making new gaskets out of cereal boxes is the recommended fix for manifold leaks. Good time to put in new NGK or Bosch spark plugs too.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
destrobeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I may just do that. The only thing that sucks about living in Minnesota is the season to drive is soooo short! I feel summer slowly slipping away as the square sits in my garage! Bummer.

I guess I've read a couple of posts about cereal box gaskets. Works hey?
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

destrobeetle wrote:
Thanks Mike. I may just do that. The only thing that sucks about living in Minnesota is the season to drive is soooo short! I feel summer slowly slipping away as the square sits in my garage! Bummer.

Did it for a set of Webbers plus if Russ Wolfe said it... Wink He suggested orange R.T.V. for extra protection also, and found it was needed on my F.I. runner(s). It gets out the minor imperfections is what he said.

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
blankmange
Type 3 Darksider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

destrobeetle wrote:

works quite well:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4884355#4884355

making my own:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Certified DHS Technician

Samba Member # 24517
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: