Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off Reply with quote

If your van came with factory A/C then the fan high speed relay is mounted separately to the body of the van above and to the left of the fuse/relay panel.
It is hard to see it.

Mark
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off Reply with quote

Yeah, I think I found it. I can access it through the dash vent, but I have been pulling and wiggling it and can not get it to come out. I'll give it another try.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off Reply with quote

You can borrow the "18 relay" from the main relay panel as a test replacement for that fan relay.

The power feed to that relay socket is live all the time, so careful!
Disconnect the battery ground cable when working in that area.

Mark
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off Reply with quote

Well, I did get the fan to shut off by taking off the driver side headlight and unplugging the green tube thing back there, the name escapes me. The alternator problem is solved. When I looked at it I discovered a wire had broken. Reconnected that and it's charging fine now. Certainly I cannot use the 18 relay and drive with it in place of the fan relay, right? Even if I can get the fan relay off, which I am still struggling with. What about pulling the switch at the bottom of the radiator behind the lower grill and cleaning it? Someone suggested to me that it sounded like a stuck switch.
damagd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off Reply with quote

The resistor? I think that's what the green thing is called. Anyway I just plugged it back in and the fan is not running. But, once the fan kicks on again is it going to stay on again?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off Reply with quote

You said that unplugging the temp switch low on the radiator didn't turn off the fan.
That means the temp switch isn't the problem.

Mark
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off Reply with quote

wild stab --- if the AC pressure is too high,
the fan will remain 'on' after shutdown. For very long time.
Trinary AC presure switch might be sending bad signal.
pbooth59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off Reply with quote

Hi all, new owner here. I'm having the same issue with the fan not turning off. Pulling the fan switch turns it off, as does pulling the #1 fuse. What does this mean? - Thanks!
pdm777
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off Reply with quote

if your AC pressure is too high,
the fan will remain 'on' after shutdown.
For very long time.

Enough to kill your battery.
Put a set of AC gauges on it and see.

I recall unplugging the AC pressure switch
behind the rear cabinets would turn off the fan.

Lowering the AC pressure got it fixed,
On hot days, climbing hills, the high speed fan
should stay on for no more than 5 minutes after shut down.

Using a refrigerant like EnviroSafe (hydrocarbon AC alternative)
will lower pressures and cool much better than 134.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off Reply with quote

pbooth59 wrote:
Hi all, new owner here. I'm having the same issue with the fan not turning off. Pulling the fan switch turns it off, as does pulling the #1 fuse. What does this mean? - Thanks!
Fan switch faulty - same happened to me. Cheap, easy quick swap-out.
pbooth59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off Reply with quote

Awesome thanks, it does have factory A/C but I haven't used it yet and the problem wasn't there when I first bought the Van. I'll look into that fix and the switch and report back.

*Update* Got the new switch in, and it seems to be working! Thanks!
chrowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fan came on high and would not shut off unless I disconnect the battery.
Based on this thread I pulled out what I think is the high speed/3rd stage relay (see attached photos). Is there any way to test it to see if it has actually failed?

I have an 89 Syncro with no AC so I guess it is normal to have no relay in position 5. Is there a low speed/2nd sage relay somewhere else in my van?

It looks like those links to autohausaz no longer work. The current one is 70 Amps. I assume that is what is needed.

Maybe this one https://www.hansautoparts.com/357906381BRelay.aspx but it looks different.
or https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen_1989_Vanagon/Relay/48302346/4H0951253A.html
or https://www.busdepot.com/8d0951253my (but it doesn't say the amps)
or https://www.busdepot.com/8d0951253 (but it has that extra metal tab)

crazyvwvanman wrote:
All 89 vans should have the relay in position 5 unless they are Syncros without A/C. That relay you linked to is not the right one for position 5, as far as I know.

In any case the missing position 5 relay isn't causing this problem. The high speed relay is up inside the dash area at the left end. It is hard to see without removing something. Look at Bentley page 87.5 and the drawing on the upper right shows the relay behind the left dash vent. That is the highest speed rad fan relay, 3rd stage.
chrowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off Reply with quote

I tested the relay and it seems to make a connection when power is supplied to it. Does anyone know what activates the relays? It seem like in my case that might be the broken part?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
First step would be to unplug the radiator fan temp switch and see if the fan shuts off. You need to remove the "LOWER" grill. If you haven’t done this, you need to learn. Report back.
chrowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off Reply with quote

Ya, I already tried that and it makes no difference.
I talked to a mechanic who thinks it is the resistor but I can't seem to find one online.

crazyvwvanman wrote:
MarkWard wrote:
First step would be to unplug the radiator fan temp switch and see if the fan shuts off. You need to remove the "LOWER" grill. If you haven’t done this, you need to learn. Report back.
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiator Fan Won't Shut Off Reply with quote

The resistor can't really make the fan run all the time.
When the resistor fails it keeps the fan from running on the lower speed(s).

If the lower speed doesn't work that can make high speed run a lot so that is something that can result from a bad resistor.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: