Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My New 68 Fastback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

I know for sure that I won't ever have a black car unless that is my only choice.

Does anyone know what these clips are used for? I have 12 of them and I don't remember where I removed them from...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

To be honest, I can't think of where those would go. They're fairly small looking, but I don't remember seeing them before on a type 3.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

I must say that gravel guards on a black fasty looks really nice. Actually, any chrome piece on the car looks really nice. Can't wait to get the windows and all the trim pieces in!

68 Fastback Build: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5396323#5396323
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

supersuk wrote:
I know for sure that I won't ever have a black car unless that is my only choice.

Does anyone know what these clips are used for? I have 12 of them and I don't remember where I removed them from...

Pretty sure they are the retaining clips for the headliner bows. Fastback ones are different than the spring ones used on the other models.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
supersuk wrote:

Pretty sure they are the retaining clips for the headliner bows. Fastback ones are different than the spring ones used on the other models.

I thought that myself since he has 12 of them (for 6 bows), but on the later Fastbacks, they use indented holes with plastic tips to hold the headliner in pace (I put 2 different headliners in my wife's 70 Fastback). That said, I haven't worked on an early Fastback, so you might be right. But, he's already installed his headliner.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

Looks like Brent wins today's chicken dinner:

131 867 549
Clip -Tensioning wire mounting
from Ch. No. 316 000 001

http://www.exclusiv-parts.de/NOS-Teile-Restposten/Clip-Haltestangen-Himmel::118.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

Crap! No wonder I was having such a hard time installing the headliner! Now I'm wondering if I should open it back up to install these... it seems like itll stay put as is, but maybe when I start driving and the wind gets to the headliner it might loosen up? All I remember when removing the headliner was that it was held in by gray plastic tips that was all cracked. I don't remember removing these clips.
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

Since squaretobehip from ISP posted their how-to install the front windshield, I decided to go ahead and install my front and rear windows. It wasn't too hard to do by myself, but some issues did come up. Please note that this was my first ever window install so that's probably the reason why.

First off, on both the front and rear seals, the joints did not line up to be on the bottom center of the windows if I put the seals with the molded corners where it should've been. It was off approximately 5-6 inches towards the drivers side. On the front windshield, I had problems with the sides not seating very well. There's a weird gap about 1/8" on the inside area between the windshield and seal. Hard to explain without showing what it looks like in a picture, which I forgot to take. However, using the trick with the ratchet strap worked very well in holding the window in while pulling the cord to seat the seal on the interior portion of the car. The rear window was a different story and would recommend having at minimum 3 people to do the job. You really need two people to press down and hold the window in place while one person is on the inside pulling the cords. I didn't have any issues with the trim wanting to pop out because I made sure that the contours of the trim followed the seat precisely.

Also decided to install the antennae on the front fender, which didn't fit too well at all.

I just hope the popout windows won't give me too much trouble. Reading brents posts on his car makes me afraid.
MonT3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

supersuk wrote:
I must say that gravel guards on a black fasty looks really nice. Actually, any chrome piece on the car looks really nice. Can't wait to get the windows and all the trim pieces in!

Cant wait to see the hammered look on this fasty!! Looking good for sure!
63 Squareback
Engine rebuild
Trailer rebuild
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

supersuk wrote:

Look at the dust!
Can't wait to get my own black car to fret over..
Will give me something to do with all of this spare time! Laughing

You gonna run fender beading?
It does look so clean without..

However,
That's why you picked black for your color, right?
It's it only color you can get for fender beading these days..

Man,
If you don't run beading,
You mighta been able to pick a different color! Laughing

What’s That Noise?!?
squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

Did you try adjusting the sides by rotating the seal a little bit? You can see in the picture above, the seal isn't sitting evenly against the glass. He's working his way down the post, maneuvering the seal to seat against the glass evenly. That might help. An 1/8" gap doesn't sound right at all.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

I tried doing that exact same thing when I saw the gap, but it didn't work. It seems as if my glass is too wide for my car. I'm wondering if all the hi build primer has something to do with the issues i'm having. I didn't spray that much in that area, but maybe just that little bit was enough to throw it off? Maybe the headliner material is too thick?

On a good note, I did get the passenger side pop-out in! It was super easy using two people. One to hold the window in place and the other to set the seal and pull the window towards the front of the car. I looped a length of nylon rope through the hole where the pop-out latch is and pulled the window towards the front of the car while pulling the rope for the seal. Worked like a charm! The hardest part was trying to get the studs to go through the holes.
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

Clatter - I have the fender beading, but just too lazy to work on that now. I still have to wetsand/compound the fenders so I didn't bother with the beading yet. Once thats done, i'll get the beading done and install the frunk and trunk seals.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

supersuk wrote:
I tried doing that exact same thing when I saw the gap, but it didn't work. It seems as if my glass is too wide for my car.

That's a common feeling. Smile It'll fit, but --

If the seal won't adjust, go ahead and take the windshield out and reinstall it (I had to do mine twice). Start at a top corner and push out until the seal begins to come loose from the car. On reinstallation, make sure it's sitting all the way down in the channel, and that it's perfectly centered, before you start pulling the cord. As you pull the cord, it's going to try to shift the glass towards one side of the car, which is what causes the gap, and with that gap, it's going to leak. Watch the glass and don't let it slide over.
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

I'll give it another go. Hopefully I can get it to seat!
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

Last night I tried to remove the windshield so that I can reinstall it...Well, the windshield cracked at the drivers side upper corner. How do people remove the windshield without putting any pressure on the corners?

Looks like i'll have to hunt for another one. Wonder how much this is going to cost me.
Donnie strickland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

supersuk wrote:
Last night I tried to remove the windshield so that I can reinstall it...Well, the windshield cracked at the drivers side upper corner. How do people remove the windshield without putting any pressure on the corners?

Looks like i'll have to hunt for another one. Wonder how much this is going to cost me.

Dang, that's a shame. You push out on the top corner, working the seal back over the lip with one hand as you go. Usually with a new seal it's not too bad.

Was this an original windshield or replacement?
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

Thats exactly what I tried to do, but it seemed like the windshield is a little too big. Everything was so darn tight. It was a replacement from PPG. Well, thats the etching I saw in the lower right corner of the windshield.

I called around to all my local contacts and nobody seems to have a genuine spare windshield. So I called the local autoglass shops and they all quoted me $400 to get an aftermarket one installed. I'll be supplying the rubber and trim. Seems like my only option right now.
Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

I have a pair of suction cups that I use to move the glass. They provide a way to grip the glass and move it up and down without pushing it in or out. They make installing new glass much easier. The ones I have I bought through my work, but I think Harbor Freight has some that might work at a reasonable price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supersuk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My New 68 Fastback Reply with quote

Been slowly chugging away at the fasty for a bit, but had to take a break to do the new flooring in the house.

First of all, I had a slow leak in the master cylinder that I didn't know about. I only noticed the leak after I observed my reservoir missing about 1/4 of the fluid in it. I had Jim Adney rebuild my master cylinder so it should be good as new. Just got it back last night, but never installed it yet.

Second is that i've been trying to set the rocker lash on the Scat 1.25:1 rockers with solid center shafts. All I have to say is what a pain it is to set the rocker lash. Scat doesn't send enough washers to set it so I purchased a bunch from CB Performance. I've been trying to set it at 0.003", but every time I think I have it and torque it down, it either gets tighter or looser. I'll get it one day!

Third is setting the valve lash for the engle 120 cam that I have. I set all the valves to 0.006" lash because I have the ACN heavy duty aluminum pushrods. I first tried the method of adjusting the valves using the 3 on one side and 1 on the other side. Ran the motor and it was loud as F$%*!!! Clacking away like it was hammering on the valves. So I checked the valves using the method where you go in the order 1234 and to my surprise, the lash was either way too tight or way too loose. Does this mean that the cam was machined off center? Does this harm the valve train in any way? Should there be something else I should be looking for?

For now, i'm going to set my valves using the 1234 order at 0.006" lash. I'm going to try 0.005" lash to see if that'll quiet the valves down.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Jump to:
Page 20 of 24

Jump to: