Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Determining what case I have
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:23 pm    Post subject: Determining what case I have Reply with quote

Hey guys. Trying to determine what engine case I have on the motor that came with my newly acquired 64 notchback. I was told it was the original 1500 from the guy I bought it from, but he said that it ran but he pulled the heads to re-ring them......and yeah. I didnt get the heads. It is basically a shortblock with the pistons/cylinders on it right now.

Well I took a wire brush and scrubbed along the center of the case today and came up with: U0049621

Can anybody help me decipher what I have got here? I would be stoked if it was a dual relief case, but what confused me is that it has a 6V fanshroud and a 6V generator. Were they interchangable? Later engine/engine case but the earlier shroud would bolt right up? I dont have a problem with the 6V shroud and 6V generator as I havent determined if the car is currently 6V or 12V yet (no battery, no starter motor, no regulator).

Any help is appreciated.
Bret
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UO case number means it's at least a 69, possibly a 70 or even 71. If the engine is out of the car, count the number of teeth on the flywheel. 109 teeth is 6 volt, 130 teeth is 12 volt.
Look underneath the case, on the left side, and see if there are 2 big flat blade screws on it (at both ends along that side), or just 1 (rear only). This will tell you if it's a single or dual relief case (2 = dual, 1 = single).
As for the shroud and generator assembly, yes, they do interchange (bolt on).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Bret Young
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Bob! Thank you. This is my first type 3, so it is a completely different animal to me. Well I guess that is cool, a later case gives me a chance to have a stronger case than I originally thought I had.

Hell, if it is that late of a case, I wonder if the pistons/cylinders are actually 83's like the owner said (probably wrong since he said this was the original motor out of the car), or if they are indeed 85.5's.

Well that is a good place to start. Any other tid-bits you think I should know, feel free to share. Thanks again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrblyoung wrote:
Awesome Bob! Thank you. This is my first type 3, so it is a completely different animal to me. Well I guess that is cool, a later case gives me a chance to have a stronger case than I originally thought I had.

Hell, if it is that late of a case, I wonder if the pistons/cylinders are actually 83's like the owner said (probably wrong since he said this was the original motor out of the car), or if they are indeed 85.5's.

Well that is a good place to start. Any other tid-bits you think I should know, feel free to share. Thanks again.

Since the heads are off it, you can kind of polish the top of the piston (scuff pad and laquer thinner work good), and use a magnifying glass to see what size the pistons are by the number stamped into the top of them.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
DHanna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the heads are off a simple rule measurement will easily show the difference between 83 and 85.5 bore.

DH
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: