Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Upper Bed Extension MOD w/Poll
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.

Which end do you sleep on in the upper bunk?
Head to the rear
4%
 4%  [ 8 ]
Head to the front
95%
 95%  [ 157 ]
Total Votes : 165

NorthOf50
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed Extension MOD w/Poll Reply with quote

Much more ghetto. I have just been using a 4' cedar fence board butt-ended to the bed. It allows my pillow and such to stay up (yes it has started to slip from time to time) but it also leaves enough room to hop down in the middle of the night should someone (I'm up top with my 4 1/2 year old son) need to pee at night...also it cost approx $4 to "make"
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed Extension MOD w/Poll Reply with quote

Unless you need thee extension for both sleepers up top, why close off the whole bed width with an extension? I took a 3/8 plywood, roughly 2x2, made a cardboard model to get the first cut right. To install, I un-snap the 3 snaps on the passenger side, slide the rear edge of my board under the front edge of the upholstered foam pad of the bed, and then slide it forward at the front to the steel roof, and rest it just behind the latch. To support the front corner above the front of the slider where the roof curvature has dropped the height, I made a little block about 2 inches high to support that corner all in one plane. Throw on a piece of thin foam, then your pillow, or just use two pillows. This leaves a full half-a-bed wide opening behind the drivers seat/above the kitchen unit. So you can go down and back up without un-installing anything. Domestic tranquility! And the 3/8 ply sheet can even be stored under the foam of the seat flip-- just push it farther back and re-snap the snaps. Took well under an hour to make, and my wood scraps were free. You just have to remember to keep your head ducked when you get in, and not back up while you're using the sink.
dustywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed Extension MOD w/Poll Reply with quote

I built the bunk extension last week and so far it seems to work really well for us. I'm 6'4 and have always wanted this, plus we have a 2 year old who will be sleeping upstairs with me while the newborn is downstairs with mom, so we wanted to make sure that there was little to no gap to fall through.

I took a 48" x 12" piece of pine and then mounted the high density foam to a second plywood board which is 46" x 17". When just using the 48" x 12" piece to create the extension like many people do, there is still a decent gap that our son could fall through so I wanted to lessen it by adding an extra 5". Plus, 17" was about the maximum we could do for this to still store behind the bunk bed with the top down .

Aside from the wood, used 2" high density foam and a few layers of 3/4" batting so that the extender could almost be used as a pillow. It's wrapped in brown fleece to keep with the poop brown theme of the van. There is also a handle on each end. Total cost was about $90 with the HDF costing about half of the total.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed Extension MOD w/Poll Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
A choice is missing: Don't sleep on the top bunk

Said the man not camping with a family of four.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed Extension MOD w/Poll Reply with quote

A choice is missing: Don't sleep on the top bunk

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Upper Bed Extension MOD w/Poll Reply with quote

speedygeorge wrote:
I have also made an extension but left 6 inches open for passing things up and down while extension is in place.

I did a different version-- put on an extension on one side only-- passenger side, so as to allow the climbing up or down to be un-impeded. Just a piece of thin (1/4") plywood ( (just has to hold a pillow and a head), slightly shaped from a rectangle.The front corner on the don-slope of the roof needs a small wood block to lie flat. When not in use it simply slides between the foam and the board of the flip-over section of the bed. If your upper-berth partner is also really tall, well, use the version above that extends for both sides. This one requires no foam (might put fabric on it, but varnished wood is fine for me-- there's a pillow on it, after all. Might take 20 min. to a half-hour; make a mock-up out of cardboard.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brickwerks wrote:
What about when you need a slash at 3am and someone is asleep on the board?

Yeah, my board doesn't fill the entire space but still when you need to to get out for a Jimmy Riddle, it still needs to be moved.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Brickwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about when you need a slash at 3am and someone is asleep on the board?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Classifieds Feedback
rlamb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a 48 in. x 11-1/2 in. unfinished pine tread from Home Depot (but any lumber yard should have 'em).

No need to cut anything but a could of notches to fit around the hinge bases. I used foam a little taller than the upper bunk foam, and used the coat hanger hooks to hang it on the cross bar. I had some light beige stretchy fabric lying around, and just upholstered the whole thing with the staples on the rear facing edge to be hidden. It took me an hour or less to make.

I store it up top when the pop-top is down just in front of the folded up upper bed and on the ledges that the upper bed rests on when folded out. I wedge a folded towel between top of the extension and the roof to keep it from sliding while driving. Even nasty Montana dirt roads won't shake it loose, but I should fix up a more permanent solution this spring.

I LOVE THIS SETUP!! We have little kids, and it's safer for them to be down below, and the top is wider for me and mom. I slept 3 weeks up there summer of 2012 with tons of room (I'm 6'1").

This idea was inspired by heliodon (Cris, thanks!).
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Instead of making it like the drafting table with the frame sandwiched between two boards, you could forget the bottom piece and secure the hinge to the frame

Good point. If I don't like the look from underneath I may close it off with a thin piece of ply or headliner board. I'm liking this idea more and more. I won't have my van back until Jan. Please post pics if someone tries this out before then.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singler3360 wrote:
I don't have my Westy to measure if the height of base frame + plywood top + foam covering would match the overall height of the upper mattress.

Foam is 2", wood is 3/4"; so a total of roughly 3".

Instead of making it like the drafting table with the frame sandwiched between two boards, you could forget the bottom piece and secure the hinge to the frame:

Use a 1/2" board (or 1/4", but it can be a bit flimsy) instead of 3/4" on top, and you'll have a bit of space for foam (thickness depends on your desires) on top.

Clever idea. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I partially answered my own question but it took awhile to find the right keywords to search. Finally, 'drafting table hinges' produced this link:
http://thatshouldhold.com/build-your-own-drafting-table/

using these hinges: http://www.rockler.com/adjustable-drafting-table-hardware

They require a 2" deep hollow base frame. I don't have my Westy to measure if the height of base frame + plywood top + foam covering would match the overall height of the upper mattress. The foam layer doesn't need to be as thick as the rest of the bed since it only supports a pillow.

For those that have built the extension and used it, what do you think?
singler3360
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of how to design this board so it can angle up from 0-15-30-60-90 degrees. I want a headboard for my pillow while reading at night then lay flat for sleeping. If the van isn't quite level, then it can be elevated slightly for sleeping. Any ratcheting bracket ideas? It would still need to store in front of the bunk when the poptop is down or even on the cushion in the space to the rear.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For tall guys the cargo net just doesn't cut it. I made the bed extension/pillow board to fit in the upper bed with a bit of comfort. The cargo net would not help in my case.

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that net way better for the pillow and can't go wrong for that price. It's also much easier to transport, move around and put up than the board. Only drawback is my dh is tall and uses the board to sleep on...So, perhaps I'll get a hook like someone else did and see if that works...

tam
rubbachicken wrote:
we thought about it for lucy, and i didn't want an extension, so we found one of these at a yard sale, tailgate net it was $0.50 we got them down from a $1 brand new still in it's box, i've not fitted it yet as we are in israel, and lucy is resting in san diego Sad

Making it special:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=545885
rubbachicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we thought about it for lucy, and i didn't want an extension, so we found one of these at a yard sale, tailgate net it was $0.50 we got them down from a $1 brand new still in it's box, i've not fitted it yet as we are in israel, and lucy is resting in san diego Sad

lucy's BIG adventure

meet 'burni'

markswagen {mobile mechanic} san diego area all early VW's cared for.

619 201 0310 or 617 935 4182
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I figured you were off having fun! Did you have a nice trip?

Mine is at an I can live with it state, but needs more work...

I wound up doing it in two pieces. Top that wrapped the sides. Back w/ a simple slit and serged edges where I put the zipper in. Hind sight, I'd have rolled those edges, as it added 1 cm (3/16"). I used a scrap of soft micca I had from something (so it has some stretch), that added to the fact that I must have added more seam allowance than I used, left mine a bit baggier than I'd have liked...

I also used a smaller piece of foam than you. $4 at Joanne Fabrics. So, it'd be nice if it were bigger, but I'm good with that for the $30 difference the exact size of foam I needed was...

Finally, I like the grey you used better, mine was darker, but again $4/yard vs $20/yard. I'll call this a prototype. Add up the difference between what it cost and what doing it right will cost and at the end of the summer, will bring it along to an event and put a FS sign on it! See if I can fund the supplies for doing it right! LOL I also have enough Vinyl to sew a proper Jack bag! LOL
kamzcab86 wrote:
tam_shops wrote:
How'd you finish the corners on the dark blue section w/ the foam?
Are they just tucked in/under the foam or did you go to the trouble to L shape them and then sew it together or are there 3 (or 4) separate pieces? If the later is the case, did you use one piece of fabric, or a second one on the bottom?

The picture looks like one piece of fabric, but the taughtness of it suggests it's 3 separate pieces, sewn together...top, sides and bottom!

Sorry for the delay... was up in the high country enjoying the cool air. Very Happy

The two short sides were sewn to the top and bottom pieces. Top piece wraps over the front; sewn to the bottom piece along the bottom edge at front. Top and bottom pieces wrap over the back and are joined via a zipper. So, yeah, 4 total pieces out of 1 piece of fabric.

Making it special:
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tam_shops wrote:
Are they just tucked in/under the foam or did you go to the trouble to L shape them and then sew it together or are there 3 (or 4) separate pieces? If the later is the case, did you use one piece of fabric, or a second one on the bottom?

The picture looks like one piece of fabric, but the taughtness of it suggests it's 3 separate pieces, sewn together...top, sides and bottom!

Sorry for the delay... was up in the high country enjoying the cool air. Very Happy

The two short sides were sewn to the top and bottom pieces. Top piece wraps over the front; sewn to the bottom piece along the bottom edge at front. Top and bottom pieces wrap over the back and are joined via a zipper. So, yeah, 4 total pieces out of 1 piece of fabric.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tam_shops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ready and trying to copy you!

tam
kamzcab86 wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
No bed extension needed for me, but I have considered making one.

No longer considered. Laughing Started making one back in January, today it was completed (took forever to decide how to finish it):

Details
Size: 11x48"
Foam: 2" thick (used what was left over from replacing the upper bed foam)
Vinyl: Marine-grade; glued to bottom of wood, stapled to top
Cloth: Duck cloth/canvas with zipper along back
Foam section is Velcro'd to wood section

Making it special:
noganav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

I'm going to make one with foam thick enough that it would be slightly compressed by the poptop when the roof is down. That way it will block the problem of warm air getting into the little gap between the bed and the poptop, condensing, and causing mold. Right now I put a blanket across the gap, but this would be even better.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: