Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what fan resistor do i need? do i need one?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:59 am    Post subject: what fan resistor do i need? do i need one? Reply with quote

i just tested out my fan resistor, and the low setting fails to come on (high's fine). it hasn't been too much of a problem, since i do my best to avoid driving in cities and other sluggishly paced situations anyhow. but i've got a big trip coming up, and, since i'm trying to treat the deferred-for-now leaky head gasket gingerly, i'd like to keep the system as cool as possible.

my '91 carat has an a/c unit installed, but it has not worked since i purchased it. despite my residing in texas, i don't care to fix it. in fact, the whole ventilation system doesn't work, but i don't really care. i'd prefer to rip out the ceiling contraption for extra headroom.

my question is:
would the nonfunctional ventilation/air conditioning cause the fan to fail to operate on low speed?
and, if not:
do i need to get the fan resistor model for a/c-equipped vans, even if i don't ever plan on running a/c?

plus, if anyone knows where i can actually get one now, that would be awesome. van cafe and bus depot are both out.

i thank you,
james
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, and i don't want to hijack the forum with another thread, so i'll ask here:

does anyone know what the cluster of wires running near the fan is? on mine, they've all been severed, so i'm guessing they've got to do with a/c and/or ventilation.
msewalson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent
shenan-agon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of those items that's good to snag if you ever see one on a junkyard van - I did that a while back at the Pick-n-Pull and stashed it in the parts bin, and sure enough my original resistor recently disintegrated. Plugged the new one in and went on my way.

If Van Cafe's out, not sure where else you'll find a new one...
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a good tip. hadn't really thought about sourcing a scrap resistor, as i don't know how i'd test the unit on its own. i'd hate to pay for something that's already broke. well, i guess i bought the van in the first place...
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

while taking apart the instrument cluster*, i noticed that the deal that the circuit foil (which is flimsy and awkward and really drives me nuts) plugs into isn't wired at connection #4, which, according to the tiny german printing on the foil, is frei-something--which maybe relates to cold air? would this interfere with the low-speed operation of my fan?

*i was finally trying to get the speedo/tach lights working, and now i can't get the instrument cluster to function at all. what fun!!!
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The radiator fan system has nothing at all to do with the cluster.

The German word frei in this case means something like "unused".

If you look at Bentley page 90.18 you can see what pin does what for 85+ clusters.

Mark

duderanchero wrote:
while taking apart the instrument cluster*, i noticed that the deal that the circuit foil (which is flimsy and awkward and really drives me nuts) plugs into isn't wired at connection #4, which, according to the tiny german printing on the foil, is frei-something--which maybe relates to cold air? would this interfere with the low-speed operation of my fan?

*i was finally trying to get the speedo/tach lights working, and now i can't get the instrument cluster to function at all. what fun!!!
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, dude. i have an impossible time navigating the bentley.
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone know what the values should be on the resistor? the ceramic's all cracked on mine, so i'm guessing it's fried. i don't really want to grab a junked one, since it seems like this part does not weather well--but i'd at least like to be able to test one before i pay for it. bus depot and van cafe are still out.

when i finally get one, i'm gonna build a little house for it. a sweet little cabin to protect it from the dust and the wind. and i'm gonna sing it songs and give it a name and take it with me wherever i go.

love,
james
James 93SLC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duderanchero wrote:

when i finally get one, i'm gonna build a little house for it. a sweet little cabin to protect it from the dust and the wind. and i'm gonna sing it songs and give it a name and take it with me wherever i go.

love,
james

It needs clear air in order to stay cool, so don't enclose it too much. You just may hasten its failure by doing that.
-------------------------
Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/slc.corrado
--------------------------------------------------------
tencentlife "Sometimes a pooka is a problem and sometimes it's just a pooka"
duderanchero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, i see. that's too bad--it looks like this one has taken a real beating since '91. maybe i could at least build it a fine-mesh screen porch. and we'll hang out there and play the geetar and drink sody pop and slip off into mystical trance-states now and then.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: