Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

what trip speedo is this?
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:55 am    Post subject: what trip speedo is this? Reply with quote

anyone has any idea what trip speedo is this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

whats the best way to lubricate the gears inside before putting it to use? squirt some oil thru the ?
Jake Martinez
The VW Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for a 70's model beetle.
65 bug
67 standard

zombie wrote:
buslife wrote:

10 inch narrowed beam

Congrats, that's going to look like shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya i just had a closer look and saw 9 72.

however, i thought all late bugs have fuel gauge inside the speedo?

if this is for a late bug, where would the fuel gauge be?
Jake Martinez
The VW Kid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could have been a speedo built in the 70's then was still optional from dealership for the earlier cars.

im not to sure though. Confused
65 bug
67 standard

zombie wrote:
buslife wrote:

10 inch narrowed beam

Congrats, that's going to look like shit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There wouldn't be enough room to have the fuel gauge inside the speedo with the tripcounter already in there, obviously. By 1972 there were already aftermarket VDO fuel gauges with the same format face and you can still get them, but they will only work on a 10-180 ohm VDO sender not a stock Beetle/Super sender. If the calibration ration (W=0.5) is any indication, this was special ordered for something with very very large wheels, probably a Baja or dune buggy.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm ok. thanks. not much of a use for me then. been wanting a correct unit for my 66, but cant afford the asking price yet.
pupjoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tstracy39 wrote:
There wouldn't be enough room to have the fuel gauge inside the speedo with the tripcounter already in there, obviously. By 1972 there were already aftermarket VDO fuel gauges with the same format face and you can still get them, but they will only work on a 10-180 ohm VDO sender not a stock Beetle/Super sender. If the calibration ration (W=0.5) is any indication, this was special ordered for something with very very large wheels, probably a Baja or dune buggy.

the W0.5 stamped was actually scratched out and hand scratched with W8 roughly to the left.

what does W8 stand for?
tstracy39
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pupjoint wrote:
tstracy39 wrote:

the W0.5 stamped was actually scratched out and hand scratched with W8 roughly to the left.

what does W8 stand for?

Either it's a KM/H housing that had a MPH movement installed in it at the factory, or at some point, someone took it to a speedometer service shop and had it recalibrated for stock Beetle size wheels. 66 Beetle speedometers are calibrated to W=0.8, so it's worth trying to install it and seeing how accurate it is with your application. If it's not accurate, you should be able to take it somewhere to be recalibrated.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=tstracy39

EverettB wrote:
I like your fork.
Morganwerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: what trip speedo is this? Reply with quote

I have one of those, my Dad bought it in the late 70s when he had the engine rebuilt so he could have 0 miles and know exactly how many miles were on the engine. The trip odometer came in handy as he was always keeping track of mpg. It's aftermarket, perhaps it matches a VDO style of that era.

He removed it when it turned over and it spent 25 years stored in a drawer, then the last 15 displayed in my garage.
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: what trip speedo is this? Reply with quote

tstracy39 wrote:
If the calibration ration (W=0.5) is any indication, this was special ordered for something with very very large wheels, probably a Baja or dune buggy.

This concerns an original VDO speedo with trip function specifically made for the Volkswagen bug, that was only supplied on European emergency response vehicles (for instance VW bug police cars), and then only on special order.
For that reason they had a black face with the white numbers, this color scheme increased readability (kind of a big thing when you are responding to an emergency, and are in the midst of running a red light at high speed with sirens and blue lights on.... you don't want to look at the speedo too long in those circumstances).
Hence also the reason the VW improvements for 1968 model year terminated the needle stripe design of the stock VW speedo's.

Needless to say that only very few of these trip speedo's with black face and white numbers have been produced by VDO, and even less have survived.
They are very rare, as they were not a general accessory available to the general public; they could not be simply ordered by private individuals at their Volkswagen dealer.

That these speedo's were only used in European cars, means that calibration at W0.5 is for a km/h scale.
The speedo of the original poster was converted from km/h over to mph (you can see that the original flat black speedo trim ring was tampered with), someone really did a very nice job keeping the original look.

I've got one in my 1960 car, and it works just like the stock speedo (in km/h).
If you look closely in the picture of my dash, you can see that the design of the speedo is similar to that of my VDO tach and the other VDO gauges.

(I know, I know, a 1960 bug should have a needle stripe trip speedo, but this black with white numbers set-up is way cooler Cool , and for this particular car I couldn't care less for stock appearance obviously Wink Very Happy )

Last edited by tisius on Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: what trip speedo is this? Reply with quote

tisius wrote:

This concerns an original VDO speedo with trip function specifically made for the Volkswagen bug, that was only supplied on European emergency response vehicles (for instance VW bug police cars), and then only on special order. Needless to say that only very few of these trip speedo's with black face and white numbers have been produced by VDO, and even less have survived.

Do you have to make RRRrrrRRRrrrRRRrrr ambulance siren sounds while you drive? Wink
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: what trip speedo is this? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
tisius wrote:

This concerns an original VDO speedo with trip function specifically made for the Volkswagen bug, that was only supplied on European emergency response vehicles (for instance VW bug police cars), and then only on special order. Needless to say that only very few of these trip speedo's with black face and white numbers have been produced by VDO, and even less have survived.

Do you have to make RRRrrrRRRrrrRRRrrr ambulance siren sounds while you drive? Wink

hahaha, no, I already have a bus that does that, one blue-flashing loud car is enough for me Wink Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: