Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

78 FI Rear Light Wiring Help
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:00 am    Post subject: 78 FI Rear Light Wiring Help Reply with quote

I've pulled pulled my engine for a rebuild and also removed my lights to do some engine bay painting.

So I've got all the wires correct on my lights, but they are behaving strangely. I'm thinking I've missed a ground some where.

By strangely I mean: No brake lights. Running lights come one when I turn the lights on. Turn signals make the brake lights blink, and no back up lights.

Granted, the backup lights never worked, but they weren't connected when I pulled the trans, so I was hoping they would be fixed.

Anyway, does anyone have a picture of their rear light connections. I didn;t take a pic before and while the wiring for the lights was straight forward...the grounding wires aren't so easy.

Specificlly, on the left side there are two places for ground wire. One brown wire seems the right length but the other one that is coming out of that side of the wiring harness that is closest to the rear light wires doesn't seem to go there...anyway I pic is worth a thousand words.

Thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no grounds for the lights in the wiring harness, each fixture has it's own short (approx 12") brown wire that goes on terminal #31 in the fixture and attaches to the body ground tab below and inboard of the light mounting hole. If there's a brown coming out of the harness it goes on that body tab as well.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
There are no grounds for the lights in the wiring harness, each fixture has it's own short (approx 12") brown wire that goes on terminal #31 in the fixture and attaches to the body ground tab below and inboard of the light mounting hole. If there's a brown coming out of the harness it goes on that body tab as well.

Interesting. What you are saying is not what I am seeing. I'll follow up with some pictures.
Manfreds78bay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got it all sorted. There is a ground wire that connects to each light holder. I didn't see the tab for these after I installed the wires.

Works great now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: