Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which Bra Would be Best
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:02 pm    Post subject: Which Bra Would be Best Reply with quote

Has anyone any experience with this bra from Bus Depot?

www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=ZVW193008

I have and old one which is now 25 years old and needs to be replaced. It is also a Wolf bra with the soft fleece liner and fabric covered metal clips and I feel it has served me well. I don't know if the new ones are changed much from my old one.

The Bus Depot one is quite a bit cheaper than the GW or VC bras.

http://gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4204&category_id=265&category_parent_id=

http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van_1308976861300/pag...umper.html

Is there a reason to pay more for either of them?
carterzest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Bra Would be Best Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:

I have and old one which is now 25 years old and needs to be replaced. It is also a Wolf bra with the soft fleece liner and fabric covered metal clips and I feel it has served me well. I don't know if the new ones are changed much from my old one.

http://gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=4204&category_id=265&category_parent_id=

VC one looks like the one I would go with and the one I had for my old 91 Westy? Looks sturdier than the GW one and fits better(side clips). It says it is a Wolf brand....call VC and ask them about the fleecy liner. I have had a bra of lesser quality on a van before and was quite upset after removing it at the end of a ski season to discover that it had rubbed through the paint. It was a non-fleece lined one. I will keep an eye on this thread as well as I will be going this route as well as soon as humpty dumpty gets all put back together and I balance my checkbook Laughing
Which one looks the most like the one that is 25 YO? That is the one I would get regardless of the price...
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i say no bra looks best imho Shocked

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

seriously though. Bras just chafe the paint - ALWAYS! they are evil and should not be worn by hot girls OR vans Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveVanB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
they are evil and should not be worn by hot girls OR vans

I concur Cool
cvbill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the Valley girl say: "Never leave home without a push-up bra, lip gloss, and a wooden stake."
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Bra Would be Best Reply with quote

carterzest wrote:
Love My Westy wrote:

VC one looks like the one I would go with and the one I had for my old 91 Westy? Looks sturdier than the GW one and fits better(side clips). It says it is a Wolf brand....call VC and ask them about the fleecy liner. I have had a bra of lesser quality on a van before and was quite upset after removing it at the end of a ski season to discover that it had rubbed through the paint. It was a non-fleece lined one. I will keep an eye on this thread as well as I will be going this route as well as soon as humpty dumpty gets all put back together and I balance my checkbook Laughing
Which one looks the most like the one that is 25 YO? That is the one I would get regardless of the price...

The description of the one in the Bus Depot ad pretty well matches the one I have had. I don't see any reason to pay more if it is the same, but I'm not sure it is the same, that's why I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who has the BD bra.
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:
i say no bra looks best imho Shocked

seriously though. Bras just chafe the paint - ALWAYS! they are evil and should not be worn by hot girls OR vans Twisted Evil

The reason I want a bra is because my van is strictly a tripping vehicle that really only sees highway milage and dirt roads. I have replaced several windshield from rock chips and I'd hate to see what the paint would look like if I hadn't had the bra on. It gets washed and dried after every trip and kept in the garage. There are a couple of wear marks on the sides, but I think the paint chips over time would have been much worse.

I think it's the reason that my van's rear end is the only thing that is sagging.
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of identical parts are cheaper from the Depot. It's just that it can take a long time to arrive. If you want it now, go van-cafe. If you don't mind waiting 2 weeks go depot. That doesn't mean it *will* take 2 weeks, but you never know with them.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:

The reason I want a bra is because my van is strictly a tripping vehicle that really only sees highway milage and dirt roads. I have replaced several windshield from rock chips and I'd hate to see what the paint would look like if I hadn't had the bra on. It gets washed and dried after every trip and kept in the garage. There are a couple of wear marks on the sides, but I think the paint chips over time would have been much worse.

Ditto, every word!!

It'd be nice if BD had a photo or two of the actual bra on a van. Additionally, the description says that the bra has air foils; I've yet to see any Vanagon with an air-foiled bra. Weird. If you get the BD bra, be sure to post pics of it. Wink

My van has the fiberglass bumpers; in looking at VC and GW, I see that Colgan has redesigned the bra for those vans, for the better. After 20 years of use, those door tabs were worn down to the metal, and two came loose on my last trip (had to do an on-the-road repair to it). After removing it following that trip, I had serious thoughts of just replacing it... might just do that after seeing VC's photo. Think
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

toomanyveedubs wrote:

seriously though. Bras just chafe the paint - ALWAYS! Twisted Evil

Au contraire, North Van boy - that's French for "on the contrary!" Wink

I have the bra that protected my mom's beautiful Bordeaux Red Metallic Westy until its expiry on my own Dixie darlin'. There have never been any chafe marks on either van and Dixie continues to wear it 3 seasons of the year. She wore it on a long winter road trip too but I usually take it off for the Vancouver winter. It fits very nicely and doesn't move at all - perhaps because of the straight-on nature of the Vanagon's aerodynamics.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
toomanyveedubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
toomanyveedubs wrote:

seriously though. Bras just chafe the paint - ALWAYS! Twisted Evil

Au contraire, North Van boy - that's French for "on the contrary!" Wink

I guess there is always the exception, and the owners that take exceptional care of their van. But the bra IS chafing - it's just your exceptional care that is slowing down the effects.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who buy one of those vinyl bras usually don't buy a second one after seeing the damage they do and the hassle of dealing with them and cleaning them constantly. If you can successfully use one for years and be happy then you are an admirably meticulous owner!! Heh...

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are looking for the aesthetics of a real bra, a better solution all around is 3Ms Clearbra or similar product. It's a bit cheaper or the same price, it doesn't need to be cleaned and dried and stored, and it looks better IMO. They do an amazing job of protecting against rock dings. We use it on our mountain bikes to protect against rock dings. And I mean baby head size rock dings.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
People who buy one of those vinyl bras usually don't buy a second one after seeing the damage they do and the hassle of dealing with them and cleaning them constantly.

Then there's people like me: All three of my cars have bras and not one of them has damage from the bras. Rock chips from when said bras have not been used, or where the bra doesn't cover (around windshield)? Yes! Evil or Very Mad Another bra benefit: No dried-on bug guts to clean off the paint or fish out of the radiator/condenser. Cleaning them constantly? The van's bra is cleaned after every road trip, which is about 4 times a year, less than the amount of times the van itself is cleaned.

I'll take the minor inconvenience of putting on and taking off car bras over infuriating paint chips any day of the week. Use them right, they work extremely well. This topic comes up regularly and it rather annoys me when people want advice on which bra to get or where to get one (i.e. they're not asking IF they should get one, they ARE getting one), and all the anti-bra people always chime in with their "they do more harm than good, don't get one!" mantras, and thus a simple thread turns into a debate. Rolling Eyes

IdahoDoug wrote:
If you can successfully use one for years and be happy then you are an admirably meticulous owner!! Heh...

Damn straight! Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! They're a great and effective product for a knowledgeable owner. When I was younger I always thought they had somewhat of a cool image. Usually when you saw one, the vehicle was on a long journey, so I've always associated them that way. Kinda like at a gas stop seeing a vehicle covered in bugs and dust with a license plate from several states away. You knew they were serious travelers...

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
purplepeopleeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using bed liner on mine, good for deflecting junebugs and small suitcase deer.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I thought that there'd be rubbing on the paint too but my mom's dark paint and clearcoat always looked terrific underneath. Maybe its the deep fuzz on the inside of the bra. It seems to hold any dust deep in the pile, away from the painted surface.

I think its the Colgan Bra but I'm not entirely certain - there's no name on it.
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
You know, I thought that there'd be rubbing on the paint too but my mom's dark paint and clearcoat always looked terrific underneath. Maybe its the deep fuzz on the inside of the bra. It seems to hold any dust deep in the pile, away from the painted surface.

I think its the Colgan Bra but I'm not entirely certain - there's no name on it.

I just looked at the pix on the three sites - I think Dixie's bra has only 5 hooks holding it onto the door gap...
www.thebassspa.com
buildyourown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your climate is the biggest factor in whether these protect or ruin your paint. What works in arizona will be a science project in the PNW.
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the company has changed or altered the Colgan bra I think it was a great investment for me. I got one for my air-cooled Westy back in 2004 from Bus Depot. Cost $89.95 back then. Looks as good seven years later as it did when I bought it. Its on about 75% of the time and hasn't caused any chaffing or paint removal and all the clips work fine. During the rainy season I do remove it and when I wash my Westy I allways wash the bra and then finish it off with McGuires (?spelling) vinyl and leather cleaner.

On a side note another valuable purchase for me were the convex mirrors. Got them also from Bus Depot back in 2005 for $49.95 each and they dont seem to suffer from the "floppy mirror syndrom" like some of you have experienced. The drivers side mirror gets tucked in at least twice a day and when I do untuck it for driving purposses, it stays put. I wonder if its possible that parts from yesteryear were just better made than the parts of today.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: