Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight Protection
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Headlight Protection Reply with quote

Since I am replaceing my 25 year old bra with a new one, I will be losing the headlight protection offered by the screen that went over the headlights ( I will also be gaining brighter headlights due to the lack of screen over them)

GoWesty sells this kit:
http://gowesty.com/ec_view_details.php?id=3958&category_id=349&category_parent_id=

I gather it is like ClearBra material. Does anyone have it and would you recommend it? Will it really prevent a broken headlight, or does it really just hold the broken pieces together? I'm talking about if it gets hit by a rock that would normally shatter a headlamp.
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have the kit sold by GW and it seems to be pretty good. It is actually made by xpel (www.xpel.com) and the film backing is labeled 3M. We put it on right after spending silly money for a couple of new low beam lenses. We did hi/low beam but skipped the turn signal pieces included in the kit.

A year and a half later, still clear, and lenses unbroken. We do drive in winter=sanded roads, grit and gravel flying. So far so good, but maybe we've just been lucky.

I'm not familiar with ClearBra.

Bottomline for me is after paying too much for at times hard to find lenses, $40 is cheap insurance, and it has stayed clear, 18 months later, test in progress.

I seem to recall a Samba member has experience with this type of thing. Maybe he will chime in or you can find it searching.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My company installs 3M headlamp protection and some advice would be to ensure the material is not vinyl. The GW site identifies the material as "vinyl" and in a few years it will yellow and chalk up from UV exposure. Similar to the gold/brown hue a convertible top back window gets. The 3M material is a polyurethane - thinner but with excellent energy absorption even in cold winter when vinyl is rock hard and will transmit rock energy directly to break a lense. It will last a decade or more.

DougM
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight Protection Reply with quote

Love My Westy wrote:
Since I am replaceing my 25 year old bra with a new one, I will be losing the headlight protection offered by the screen that went over the headlights...

Just a thought: You could always sew some screen to the headlight openings in the new bra.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Pike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
My company installs 3M headlamp protection and some advice would be to ensure the material is not vinyl. The GW site identifies the material as "vinyl" and in a few years it will yellow and chalk up from UV exposure. Similar to the gold/brown hue a convertible top back window gets. The 3M material is a polyurethane - thinner but with excellent energy absorption even in cold winter when vinyl is rock hard and will transmit rock energy directly to break a lense. It will last a decade or more.

DougM

I have them on my V Cool
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, I see they do describe it as vinyl. Perhaps their web text is inconsitent with the product they are shipping, or they changed suppliers since I purchased. Call and ask. Who knows, I bought it some time ago. I don't think what we received is vinyl. As I said, it is a 3M product, marketed by xpel.com, that gowesty shipped. Packaging says they are guaranteed 5 years, "will not crack, yellow, shrink, peel, or damage your lights in any way" . I'm sure there are some disclaimers if I cared to read the fine print.

I saw a car today with peeling yellowed lens protectors, if that is what vinyl does, it looked terrible.

Whatever we installed, it is still clear, tight, crisp as day 1.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mechanic installed something that looks a lot like that product 6 years ago. Don't know the product name. It is clear, looks about 4 mm (3/16") thick. Been through northern winters, Texas summers and all inbetween.

It even covered the holes in the original headlight lens.
Hasn't shrunk, peeled, yellowed or what ever. Guess I'll never know how many headlamp lenses it has saved me.

Very Happy Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
canasync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the adhesive film on my aux. driving lights and lexan on the headlights. My windshield needs replacing but my light lenses are all okay, well almost Rolling Eyes I sort of slipped with a screw driver while prying something a while ago and cracked a headlight before I had the protection installed.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cruise Control
Remote Start/locks
Custom Lift
Custom Bumpers with receivers
Coast Mountain Hightop - Comming Soon

1985 2wd Vanagon Pre-runner in the making
soon to be powered by 2.5L Subaru
Custom Lift
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the BD clip in plastic headlight guards, they work great and you can easily remove
them for cleaning.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee

Last edited by Timwhy on Thu Jun 30, 2011 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
randywebb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe look to what rally cars have used -- usually a wire mesh held a distance off of the headlights.
madspaniard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
I bought the BD clip in plastic headlight guards, they work great and you can easily remove
them for cleaning.

x2

"The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad” - Salvador Dali
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered the GW stick on headlight protectors. I hope they work out.
cris torlasco Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwhy wrote:
them for cleaning.

I used to have these and they work great. I don't remember where I bought them, and now can't find them...Need a pair asap. I checked Bus Depot and Eurocampers. Anyone know where to get them? Thanks,

Cris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GW Headlight protectors have been on for almost a year now. No problems so far. Anybody else have these and if so, have you experienced any yellowing?
BenT Syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cris torlasco wrote:
Timwhy wrote:
them for cleaning.

I used to have these and they work great. I don't remember where I bought them, and now can't find them...Need a pair asap. I checked Bus Depot and Eurocampers. Anyone know where to get them? Thanks,

Cris

Cris,

The headlight guards used to be available from VW Australia. Bus Depot had some US copies which were similar. The Aussie version screwed in place IIRC. The BD version clipped as someone had said. They are both NLA.

However, Trevor & Cheri in Canada (The Skylight Guy) is in the process of returning a similar product to market. They were in discussion with BD last time I checked. At some point, I offered to let them use my OZ & BD guards for prototyping. Cheri wrote that BD had already sent them samples. Hopefully they will be here sooner than later. Beats the stick-on film especially if you are trying to protect some very expensive & NLA e-code rectangular headlights.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ben, for the thorough and informative answer. I will wait then...I hope they are as well done as the previous clip on versions, they were unbeatable for protection and practicality. I am indeed trying to protect my set of European H4 square set...

Cris
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mundopacheco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cris torlasco wrote:
Timwhy wrote:
them for cleaning.

Cris

I purchased mine from Vanagain....
Miguel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
syncroserge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenT Syncro wrote:

However, Trevor & Cheri in Canada (The Skylight Guy) is in the process of returning a similar product to market..

Ooohh! gotta call Cheri to try to convince them to make a smoked version...don't it look cool Cool
Luckyphil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the VW dealer fitted headlight covers from Australia. They are held on by double sided tape (very strong) no screws. They are molded to conform with the headlight shape and IMO look better than those posted above except those tinted ones, please no ofence just my opinion Smile
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, they do look better.

Can you take them on and off to wash the headlights or is the adhesive permanent?

Can you get me a set??? Wink

Cris
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: