Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

71 wiring question...
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: 71 wiring question... Reply with quote

I'm trying to track down a problem with my r/h tail (running) light not working. I have no power to the socket - ground is good - l/h works great. Where the hell did KG put the wiring junction that runs to the right and left sides? I have old tar-boards and don't want to remove any that I don't have to to track down the problem spot. I'm assuming at this point that the junction wire is loose or corroded - although the wiring is in great shape - other than this! Even the backup lights and license plate lights worked when I bought the car - which I found a bit surprising.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Other car - 2013 VW Golf TDI
jason_hamilton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a junction (connector) for the turn signal lights, but not the running lights. The wire for the right-hand running lights is the thin grey wire with a red tracer and it runs direct from fuse #8 (count from the driver's side) all the way to the socket. If you look at the the connector for this fuse from inside the front compartment, it will be shared with a thin grey wire that goes to the front right running light. If your front right running light works, but the back doesn't, you know the fuse is good.
Your best bet is to pull the tar board and put a test light on the back of the right rear socket to find out whether the wire is broken or the one filament of the dual-filament bulb is blown.

http://www.type-14.com/electrical/WD70-71.gif
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. On the wiring diagram I downloaded from the tech area it shows a single wire running back and the wire for the r/h side junctions off the terminal. I guess these wiring diagrams leave something to be desired.

I'll have to investigate more tomorrow. I've pulled the tar board on the right hand side and checked - the wiring and connectors are all good - I have a good ground - sockets are in excellent shape since the car was always garaged and never driven in winter. I just don't have a r/h running light. And as you surmised - fuse is good. I never thought to look under the dash. Maybe something as simple as a loose wire on the connector. Looks like fuse #7 if I'm reading this right.

Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how it goes.

ovghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: 71 wiring help Reply with quote

in the engine compartment look on left side above the fender well where the loom comes thru the bulkhead ( firewall ) just after it goes thru wall you will see where the small loom for the r/h side splits off and goes under the tarboard and then it exits tarboard on right side. I have a 70 coup and your setup should be the same. you could do testing at both locations to determine if problem is under tarboard.
OLD VW NUT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the 70 is different than the 71. The wire for the R/H running light on the 71 comes off the fuse panel and runs to the rear solo and has nothing to do with any other wiring since everything else worked fine. The spade connector was a bit weak so I put a little squeeze on it. I must have knocked it off when I was making sure the stereo speaker wires were connected up ok.

I have 4 corner running lights now and with everything else working just fine don't have to worry about being home before dark.

Thanks for the help guys.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: