Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for 15" tires - 14" Syncro
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:36 am    Post subject: Looking for 15" tires - 14" Syncro Reply with quote

What has your experience been with tire sizes, and what would you recommend?

I have a stock Syncro with 15" Borbet Type H wheels, 15x7 et 35.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It has OME Shocks, and I have not yet decided on springs, as I wanted to see what the height of the rig would be with new tires. Considering the GoWesty 2" springs, as well as the Syncro.org, if they are ever produced...

I drive 40 round-trip freeway miles for work every day, but I would like a larger tire for some clearance when I play in Southern Utah and take the family camping.

We get snow here, I drive up canyons to Ski, and I will likely have a Zetec before the fall is over, and A turbo maybe a year later if I play my cards right. My tranny is on its way out, but I don't want to mess with gearing.

From reading other threads, it looks like a 29" tire is the largest people use. I am wondering about the functionality of that size tire and a stock setup? I am not building anything crazy, I just need to crawl up the red rocks, sled through the snow and glide on the freeway, and have some clearance!!!!

As a side note, for tires, I am looking at the Yokohama Geolandar A/T-S, wondering if this fits the bill? It is 215/70R-15
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for the 215x70x15 yoko, I suggest 39psi front, 46psi rear. That tire spec is 26.9"

for 3/8" more ground clearance, consider the 225x70x15 yoko, inflated to 36 psi front, 44psi rear. That tire spec is 27.6"

for reference the BFG 215x75x15 is 27.8", that is the largest tire I would consider without modifying trailing arm lips, and fenders..

The Geolander is $49 cheaper than the BFG per tire.. good find.
Classicvibe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info Jonathon.

I just went over to the tire store and check them out. The BFG AT is definitely a nicer tire, although I am not sure if it is better. It is a rim guard along the interior, and it has a better sidewall, and a more aggressive tread pattern. I think I am going to try the Geolander in the 225/70 you mentioned.

Will update with photos and reports, for umm, the two of us I guess Very Happy

Syncro Solstice 2022...see you there!

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender Transporter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: