Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waldi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

The solid shaft just limits the usage of the Syncro.
It puts lot unnecessery load on the gearbox and drivetrain.
Having 2 or even 1 chain with you, gives you in 5 min a advantage with the VC over the solid shaft. Having all the possble best usage.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

There's a place for either choice. I knew a guy who had to drive on sand at low tide to get to his house. A solid shaft with decoupler would certainly be best for him (or for the surf-casters driving on sand a few times a week). I winter drive all the time, so a VC is a better choice for me. (I think all Syncros should have a decoupler.)
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

This short video is interesting and seems to suggest that without a solid shaft you could bury the rear end, but I've just never seen it. The couple times I've gotten stuck all my wheels were pretty well buried.

Link
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

I know Jon Slider has tested this himself. A VC doesn't engage immediately, so the rear tires tend to burrow in until it does.
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

Sand conditions are like snow, in a way. Flawless techniques only need one of the various conditions to change and you need a NEW technique.

I noticed standing water at the end of the video. He was very near the "water table" so it's possible that disturbing the sand changed the water content of the mix, allowing it to pack, and when he "rolled" rather than dislodged the sand, it packed. Maybe all he needed was "time" (and surface tension).

When I first got my Syncro, I got stuck on a gravel bar, and was able to reverse much better than go forward, which I attributed to VC slippage. A major benefit of a solid shaft, that there's no initial slippage of the VC, thus Front + rear "start their push equally". With a VC, the rear spins a little before the VC locks, rear tire digs, then it has to climb out of that sand hole, plus the sand is loosened.

Another time in Mexico (driving a '72 loaf) we were on a beach and noticed the tide coming in. Decided to move the van but it was stuck !! Water got closer and we shitted more bricks. But then the sand firmed and we drove out. Looking back we could have used buckets of water to firm the sand. (I suppose).

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Syncro Jael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
This short video is interesting and seems to suggest that without a solid shaft you could bury the rear end, but I've just never seen it. The couple times I've gotten stuck all my wheels were pretty well buried.

I have noticed the same as you. I should have gotten some photos of when I did get stuck in really deep blow sand. The rear tires had dug in a little more than the fronts. It has taken getting the van in certain situations to see the rear lower than the front. Plowing through really deep soft sand until you get stopped is about the only time. This was my fault getting stuck because of laziness I did not air down. As soon as I brought the tire pressures down from 45 psi F/50 psi R to 18 psi all around the Syncro walked right out the holes it had dug. Another reason to have tall sidewall tires. As you can see in the photo, the sidewalls get used on a heavy Syncro. Shocked Photo for attention.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

SyncroJael, thanks for the awesome video and photo.

I do agree with Daryl, as SyncroJael points out, that an Aggressive VC can protect against shock loads better than a solid shaft. The Aggressive VC is fine by me, I respect the choice. It will run tail low in sand, and it will require rear wheel spin Offroad to engage. And on dry pavement an Aggro VC will drag through turns. But, if a driver forgets to decouple an aggressive VC in a dry parking lot, the VC might slip a little and let the van finish parking. With a solid shaft, there is a point at which the van will simply stop moving forward. This will require decoupling to move forward again.

davevickery wrote:
This short video is interesting and seems to suggest that without a solid shaft you could bury the rear end

good video, thanks, pretty aggressive VC, beware premature tranny wear, use a decoupler on dry pavement.
The solution when stuck in sand is to air down. That makes a huge difference. Airing down will get a Syncro unstuck, that got stuck at higher inflation, even if the syncro is a 3 knob w solid shaft.

This was my VC experience that led me to try a solid shaft next (from page 1). I really prefer the solid shaft. Ymmv

I went back to that sand bank after installing a solid shaft and the rear did not dig in at all, the van just rolled right up.

Waldi wrote:
The solid shaft just limits the usage of the Syncro

If you don’t want 4wd, then a VC is fine. A VC has a delay. A solid shaft does not.

Devils advocate
a solid shaft can be coupled in the same snowy conditions that an aggressive VC is coupled. (see the GoWesty info I posted earlier) Both require a decoupler, and both benefit from decoupling when parking on dry pavement, or making tight turns on dry pavement.

The popular view that a VC is best for snow, stems from the possibility that the rear wheels might spin on a patch of snow, and engage the VC. I agree that is a useful feature, but I don’t believe rear wheels actually spin when driving on patchy snow covered pavement. And I do not believe that a VC pulls on dry pavement. I do not believe tire slip is sufficient to engage the VC, though VCs do have a preload, that produces drag, the same as a solid shaft, in any turn.

With a solid shaft there would be no delay in power to the front wheels. On roads where steering inputs are small, and the surface is wet and patchy snow, I see little harm from judicious use of a solid shaft, in the same way that an Aggressive VC is used. With an intelligent operator making intentional choices of when to couple and when to decouple.

It is implied that a Solid shaft cannot be used in snow, but it can. If there is snow on the ground, the solid shaft performs better than a VC. Both benefit from decoupling in tight turns on exposed pavement.

Where the VC has the advantage is when it does not have a decoupler, and is not aggressive., then the VC can help if the rear end spins out, without being too destructive to the tranny, due the lower drag a non aggressive VC puts on the transaxle. The system does not require the driver to make any coupling or decoupling decisions.

In all cases, a decoupler used on dry pavement with a VC, will reduce load on the transaxle.

This van uses an aggro VC, decoupler, 4.86, 10% tall tires
You will see the tail runs low. It is also heavily loaded.
Make note that 20psi got stuck
14psi drove out

Link

I wonder if the maxtrax might not have been needed when aired down to 14psi

I drove that sand at 12 psi, coupled to a solid shaft. I did not lock rear diff, and did not lock front diff. I tested locking the diffs, and the van dug down too much, more than with open diff. The solid shaft is best for sand. On the wet sand I decoupled and drove 2wd at 12 psi, very surprised how well that worked.. scary though the tires looked like pancakes.

Another syncro got stuck at 25 psi, drove out with a lot of wheelspin at 16 psi.

I have done a self recovery at 10 psi on Death Valley silt, and also in a mud hole that had one wheel buried to the top of the tire. Drove right out at 10 psi, after a friend came to help me recover, and asked if I had aired down.. I was at 40 psi.. typical mistake to overlook the significance of tire pressure.

tire pressure rule of thumb
example
If street pressure is 40psi front, suggest 60% for dirt roads, thats 24 psi. For deep dry sand use 1/2 of dirt pressure, thats 12 psi.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

Link

I'm not seeing the same thing as you in this video. In the beginning when he is stuck, what I see are all 4 tires fairly evenly buried.

And when he is driving out of there, it looks pretty level to me except when he is going up a slight incline, the rear is down, and when he is going down, the rear is up.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
I'm not seeing the same thing as you in this video.

Once he is fully stuck, I agree he is level. That is because after the rear diff digs down far enough for the van to rest on the frame, and the rear wheels are spinning, the VC continues to power the front, which then also digs down until the van is supported by the frame. Having the rear locked makes this happen, the rear wheels would not dig down to the frame if the rear diff was open. Same is true in front (iirc he has a front locker also). Imo, in sand, keeping the diffs open, will prevent the van from digging down until it is resting on the frame.

The effect of the VC is seen when the van first starts moving, not after it is totally dug down at all 4 wheels.
You can see the rear tires spray sand and the rear of the van squats down before the VC starts pulling. Note the front wheels don’t spray sand, only the back ones. See how the rear wheels are dug down more than front?

The fact a VC digs down the rear of the van before the VC engages, is also shown and described here
http://www.syncro-bernd-jaeger.de/english/Zuschaltb__Allrad/zuschaltb__allrad.html

That same digging down is what happened here, look how deep the rear wheels are, and notice the front diff did not dig nearly as much:

The van was stuck, it never made it up that bank. I had to back down and use a different approach. The Red van in that picture had a VC at the time.
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

Haha, looks like you are cherry picking the data to fit your conclusion. That doka pic is an example. I see where that image comes from in the video, but if you watch the video, there are times where the front wheels are the only ones throwing sand, then the rears, then the fronts again. If that is the best video you can come up of a syncro rear end digging in, then I think your helping to make the opposite case.

And the picture of the rear end buried is from a website selling solid shafts. Haha. Maybe that happens to him all the time, but if I was selling solid shafts, I could figure out a way to bury the rear end of my van for the picture. Lots of gas, stop, lots of gas, stop. I actually did that once to level my van on a beach for camping, but I had to use my decoupler to make it happen. That could be a real life photo and all the people that drive beaches all the time know about the huge problem the VC is on sand, but I have not encountered it. And there are really no videos online showing it happening.

Obviously the solid shaft eliminates any response time. No one is arguing that. I'm just saying, I have not encountered rear well spin that buries the rear end only. And I have probably gotten stuck more often than most syncro owners, which isn't a lot.

Anyway I don't have a dog in this race. It just seems that if this were a real problem, there would be a lot of videos of syncro stuck in the sand with the rear axle buried. I can't find any. That' all.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

The rear could be buried because the sand is softer there, but it makes sense that the rear wheels are digging more turns because they are direct drive, and the front, having VC slippage, have simply made less turns in the sand. This is a valid VC.vs.solid shaft issue. It's the crux of the matter.

davevickery wrote:
gas, stop, lots of gas, stop. I actually did that once to level my van on a beach for camping, but I had to use my decoupler to make it happen.

You exaggerated the delayed drive response of a VC.

davevickery wrote:
but if you watch the video, there are times where the front wheels are the only ones throwing sand, then the rears, then the fronts again.

If you had a vid of the other side of the truck at that same moment you'd see the rear throwing sand, front not. That's just power jumping left & right across the differentials.
If the front is throwing sand, and the rear is not, that suggests the rear locker is NOT engaged. If the rear diff locker is engaged, how can the front throw sand while the rear is not throwing?. Ooops it can if one front is dead-stopped, then the other front could spin twice as fast as the (locked) rear axle is spinning. But the locked rear axle + wheels will be turning too.

Is that Syncrodoka's truck? Anyone know if the locker is engaged (not just knob pulled, light on etc, but "differential locked")?

It Cool rules Cool that you guys have these vids to post and discuss. I can't wait for Moab (other than the sand....) !

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox

Last edited by Sodo on Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 pm; edited 6 times in total
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

davevickery wrote:
Haha, looks like you are cherry picking the data to fit your conclusion. ...If that is the best video you can come up of a syncro rear end digging in, then I think your helping to make the opposite case.

And the picture of the rear end buried is from a website selling solid shafts. Haha. Maybe that happens to him all the time, but if I was selling solid shafts, I could figure out a way to bury the rear end of my van for the picture.

It seems you refuse to understand, and have resorted to shooting the messenger. And you think someone that sells solid shafts knows less about them than you do.. Good Luck with that attitude.

here is one more messenger for you to shoot
http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=19
Last time we were in Baja, only one of five pop-top Syncro Vanagons we took got stuck in the sand. All five had a decoupler and solid shaft instead of the VC, except for one. I will let you guess which one of the five got stuck in the sand

Comic relief
with a solid shaft you can get airborne and do this

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7712507
SyncroGhia wrote:

We expect that the damage happened when it did some small jumps (not me driving)...

and How to Win a Trophy

Link

How you drive matters more than your hardware.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

Here's an interesting video that compares a stock VC to modified one with inert gas, or something like that. Behaves like a solid shaft now.

Link

https://vw-kern.at/visco-kupplung#anc-issues
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:

It seems you refuse to understand, and have resorted to shooting the messenger. And you think someone that sells solid shafts knows less about them than you do.. Good Luck with that attitude.

here is one more messenger for you to shoot
http://www.gowesty.com/tech-article-details.php?id=19
Last time we were in Baja, only one of five pop-top Syncro Vanagons we took got stuck in the sand. All five had a decoupler and solid shaft instead of the VC, except for one. I will let you guess which one of the five got stuck in the sand

Hey - that GoWesty link is dead. Always interested in standard VC stuff.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

Yeah it's an old thread. You may need to dig a little on the GW site. BTW, Van Cafe no longer has a description of their various options for coupler rebuilding
the_benjamin_effect
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2023 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

Klister wrote:

New GW link (but same as the dead link) for everyones reading pleasure:

https://gowesty.com/blogs/article-library/decouple...air-locker

-2000 Subaru Impreza Sport EJ22 Ľ million miles "Trusty"

International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers. I.A.M. 751
International Brotherhood of Naval Flight Engineers. I.B.N.F.E. LOCAL 8251
My other ride has 18,400 horsepower!

Last edited by the_benjamin_effect on Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

the_benjamin_effect wrote:
Klister wrote:

New GW link for everyones reading pleasure:

https://gowesty.com/blogs/article-library/decouple...air-locker

Thank you!!
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Syncro Video, thoughts on Viscous Coupling and Solid Shaft Reply with quote

I have a "sport VC" now.
My tires leave black lines on dry pavement, skidding, when I turn tight.
So now..... I have to decouple in the city.... where previously my van was "gentle AWD".

I'm quite curious how well the ‘Sport VC’ maintains adherance in snow/ice.... as it's obviously more 'locked up' now.
I wish I could do another "sand test" like in the video,,,,, to see if sand performance is better. But I'd need to find the same soft conditions. Not easy to re-test.
Plus I'd need more friends around. Bricks were shat that last time, being solo, and Shocked below the high-tide mark. Shocked

I really liked my VC before..... ——>except when I cursed it in the sand.
And in some off-road conditions where rear tires spun initially at that moment when I needed the fronts to pull immediately.
A tame example is the rear wheels spinning when I need the fronts to pull “immediately” to climb up onto leveling rocks....(campsite setup Wink ).
OK.... there's a list of times that the VC slip bugged me. Wink But I liked how it gripped the snow.
But where I live, Seattle, it snows for 2 days once every 3 years. Hmmmmm

Anyway this VC thing is a bit of a dilemma.
I want a 4th knob (that locks the VC).

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: